Off Topic Messages

GRAVITY! FIRST NIGHT!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 am

I'm going to the midnight movies tonight! 10 PM in California, is when they can show it.

REAL 3D XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In an hour I am OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!! : 8)

phpBB [video]

Wheee-hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Greetings to Earth! :smt006

rjm
P.S. -- Will have full report! Tomorrow.

Re: GRAVITY! FIRST NIGHT!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 am

Let us know when you get back to earth. :smt002

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Have a good time! This seems like an interesting movie.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:42 pm

George Clooney doesn't make foolhardy film choices.

Director and co-writer Alfonso CuarĂ³n is also deliberate in the movies he works on. His previous directorial effort, 2006's "Children of Men" was a fantastic film.

I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:14 am

Impressive trailer, might catch this one!

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:45 am

Robert wrote:Impressive trailer, might catch this one!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Two of my favorite American actors, too.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:46 am

rjm wrote:I'm going to the midnight movies tonight! 10 PM in California, is when they can show it.

REAL 3D XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In an hour I am OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!! : 8)

phpBB [video]

Wheee-hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Greetings to Earth! :smt006

rjm
P.S. -- Will have full report! Tomorrow.

Tomorrow came... Where is the full report? :D

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Report delayed due to exhaustion and overstimulation! It was quite an experience! Also, very emotional on many different levels.

First, the 3D did not overwhelm the story; it carefully enhanced it. Not at all like JJ Abrams' nonsense. This was all meaningful. And visually fun, too. But it PUT you up there! And that was important to the story.

But just visually, you have never seen space, and the Earth, from this vantage point, with this intensity. Mind-blowing.

It was more about "inner space" than outer. I don't want any spoilers, but leaving the Earth for the "magnificent desolation" and silence of space is sometimes just not far enough. There's a moment at the beginning that made people nearly choke on their popcorn; and I can't tell you anything but that it's very unusual.

Intertextuality abounds. The actors' own past triumphs, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a single obscure episode of Star Trek: Enterprise (yes - that one, believe it or not! If I name the character, it gives too much away) are key sources of homage.

Yet it stands on its own.

I cannot tell you what you will feel as you walk out, because that's a major spoiler. But as I thought about it through the wee hours yesterday, I realized that everything, and I mean everything came back into question. Especially the ending. I didn't know what quite to take at face value, except the main point of the film.

That, yes, in space no one can hear you scream -- but that may apply as much on terra firma as "up there."

Enjoy!

Sorry for the delay. (Those nachos also kept me up all night. Indigestion. ;) )

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks Robin,

Though i am not fully briefed, your report did wet my appetite for this particular movie. I hope it is a classic one, just like 2001.

Hopefully you have recovered from the nachos :) .

Thanks again.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:30 pm

epf wrote:Thanks Robin,

Though i am not fully briefed, your report did wet my appetite for this particular movie. I hope it is a classic one, just like 2001.

Hopefully you have recovered from the nachos :) .

Thanks again.

You're welcome!

1. Yes, I've recovered. ;)

2. I was careful about spoilers with this one. If I told you everything, it would RUIN it!

Anyone who has seen it can PM me about the obscure ST:Enterprise episode. Very few know that series well, but somebody did! In the theater, when it first happened, I excitedly muttered out the character's name! Very few people know that character, or the episode! It felt just the same: spooky. And for the exact same reason, and both in outer space!

It's key to the film, right to the last moment. Keep that in mind: RIGHT TILL THE LAST MOMENT. Which means you don't know what to believe!

rjm

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 pm

On Friday great SF film critic Mick LaSalle offered a fantastic review of "Gravity" -- coupled with your enthusiasm, I've got to catch it ASAP. Among other things, LaSalle plainly states it will be a lesser experience to watch on TV at home.

131004_Gravity_Clooney.jpg

'Gravity' review: powerful images - and drama
http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Gravity-review-powerful-images-and-drama-4866080.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:39 am

Saw it this afternoon. Thought it was very good, but in light of all the rave reviews, I couldn't help wondering if I shouldn't have liked it even more. Perhaps seeing all those reviews set my expectations way too high. Like I said, it's a very good movie, but I just wasn't blown away by it.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:On Friday great SF film critic Mick LaSalle offered a fantastic review of "Gravity" -- coupled with your enthusiasm, I've got to catch it ASAP. Among other things, LaSalle plainly states it will be a lesser experience to watch on TV at home.

131004_Gravity_Clooney.jpg

'Gravity' review: powerful images - and drama
http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Gravity-review-powerful-images-and-drama-4866080.php

He nailed it.

He saw what I saw.

Quite a few folks may have expected more "action." No one shoots, or is shot. No battles are fought, except within the self.

So, don't expect laser sabers. Don't expect blood, although there is . . . some tragedy. Don't expect anything! Just go!

rjm

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 am

Can't wait to see it!

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:44 am

Thanks for the review. A co-worker raved about the film, and he's not easy to impress. Sounds like one to see!

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:17 am

A good movie. One that makes one think. Doc, did you see the movie already?

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:21 am

epf wrote:A good movie. One that makes one think. Doc, did you see the movie already?

I'd say it's a good bet that a large percentage of members here have seen it by now, because it's quite the blockbuster! Big hit. Still running in the main Real3DXD theater at the Cinemark, and in another theater at the same mulitplex. Captain Phillips has only one theater there. It's big. I think people are just enjoying the scenery, mostly, and not thinking so hard about it. I think it's a good film as a film, and the 3D just adds to it. But a lot of people are going for the thrills.

Either way, it's an amazing experience. But if you are paying close attention, it's tough to watch. If you're just enjoying the view, it's fun. So, it has a little something for different types of film-goers.

Soon, two new films will get the attention, and being autumn films, will be more "thinking-person's" films. One is 12 Years A Slave, which I will see shortly, and then after that, when it goes into wide release, eventually, All Is Lost, with Robert Redford.

Good year for films!

rjm

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Gravity vs. gravity :lol:

gravity-vs-gravity.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 am

Good one,Jimmy!! 8)

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:51 am

JimmyCool wrote:Gravity vs. gravity :lol:

gravity-vs-gravity.jpg

Lol. Very smart:)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Gravity is one of those films that people will want to talk about, but will do so slightly tight-lipped, because it's a movie-going experience that's best appreciated with a mind clear of too many details. It's a brilliant film, truly one of the most compelling and involving movies in recent years. A movie that communicates the vastness of open space and of life adrift, creating a world of wonder and awe that's representative of the advances of CGI and the mind's capacity for imagination. The infinity of nothingness is everything in this film, with deep blacks surrounding a blue planet and white-suited figures floating in the cosmos as dear life is clung to under the most unfortunate of circumstances. Circumstances at home in the best kind of disaster movies set on earth. But this is in space. With the vastness of the universe met with something as small, but not insignificant, as the little screw Sandra Bullock's character, Ryan Stone, drops whilst repairing a piece of equipment on a space walk. It's the little things that matter, of course. Especially with the sure hands of George Clooney's Mike Kowalski near by. As viewers, we become a little bit more than observers of their mission, trials and tribulations. The 3D becoming more than a novelty, proving vital in creating a sense of uncertainty and dread, as Alfonso Cuaron's lens bobs and weaves with the action, using a tremendous depth of field that creates the most grandiose view of the vastness of space, but never neglects the close intensity of what's immediate and very real. So much so, that one scene takes us into Bullock's helmet, complete with the condensation of her breath, as panic ensues and oxygen depletes. Whilst all manner of space debris is hurtled at the screen with such velocity that blinking with surprise is only natural.

The film's two lead (and only visible) actors, Bullock and Clooney, excel in their respective roles. Especially with the need for exposition coming in the form of an unknowing narration that allows the characters to express their position freely. Clooney's natural charm is in abundance here, but it's his warm and trustworthy tone that rings true. He becomes almost like a compass from which Bullock's Ryan finds her way. And this is very much her show from an acting perspective. The true depths of the film's narrative being present within Ryan, as underlying themes of faith, belief and rebirth become ingredients that enrich a story told with a knowing hand. Here, there's no wallowing in sub-text, instead, what's provided is the kind of multi-layered story-telling that will speak in different ways to different people. What's also present is an appreciation of life and for the living. Learning to stand on your own two feet after taking on all life throws at us. Along the way, it's an incredible ride with stunning technical achievements from a master director firing on all cylinders and two outstanding actors assuredly cast. Gravity is absolutely among 2013 best films and should be a certain Oscar contender in the spring.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 am

Gravity is one of those films that people will want to talk about, but will do so slightly tight-lipped, because it's a movie-going experience that's best appreciated with a mind clear of too many details.........................

Now if I'd just stopped there :wink:

Thinking of seeing it this weekend.It looks like one of those films you just have to see at the cinema.

norrie

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:12 am

norrie wrote:
Gravity is one of those films that people will want to talk about, but will do so slightly tight-lipped, because it's a movie-going experience that's best appreciated with a mind clear of too many details.........................

Thinking of seeing it this weekend.It looks like one of those films you just have to see at the cinema.

norrie

He did not give anything away. Not that you'd know, without having seen it. An amazing review, greystoke, as you addressed the depth of the entire film, while still using extreme caution regarding the "tight-lipped" situation. This is exactly how one feels upon leaving the theater. You really don't want to say a word to anyone.

And it's frustrating, because many won't understand it in this way, and so I applaud your brilliant review, which takes on the "big picture" without ruining it for those who haven't seen it.

Trust me, norrie, he did not "spoil it." He enriched it, but you won't really know how until you see it. Again, brilliant!

rjm

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 am

rjm wrote:
norrie wrote:

norrie

He did not give anything away. Not that you'd know, without having seen it. An amazing review, greystoke, as you addressed the depth of the entire film, while still using extreme caution regarding the "tight-lipped" situation. This is exactly how one feels upon leaving the theater. You really don't want to say a word to anyone.

And it's frustrating, because many won't understand it in this way, and so I applaud your brilliant review, which takes on the "big picture" without ruining it for those who haven't seen it.

Trust me, norrie, he did not "spoil it." He enriched it, but you won't really know how until you see it. Again, brilliant!

rjm

Oh come on RJM I was only joking,hence the wink smillie.
I always enjoy reading greystokes movie posts and this was no exception.

norrie

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:21 am

I know; it was my way of sending him a high five!

:D

rjm