Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Eddie Cochran - 75th. Anniversary

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:19 am

Eddie Cochran was born 75 years ago today.

One of the coolest rock and rollers ever.

We remember you, Eddie !

Re: Eddie Cochran - 75th. Anniversary

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 am

[youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHgO7yh06V0][/youtube]
My favourite Eddie track

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Good choice, keninlincs !

“Three Steps To Heaven” is also one of my favourite Cochran records.

I love the presence of his voice in it, and also the tough sound of the acoustic guitar.

Here’s another of my Cochran favourites, the instrumental “Pushin’”, from 1956, which was originally released under Ray Stanley’s name (who was the piano player here).

This one features one of his very best guitar solos ever. And he was just 18 at the time of recording.

Truly FANTASTIC !

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Mister Moon on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I like this photo of Eddie and his girlfriend, songwriter Sharon Sheeley, sifting through some records, around 1959.

On top left of the image, you can see the stereo section of the record store !

Also, just behind Eddie is a Harry Belafonte album waiting to be picked up. Do you recognize any other record sleeves ?

w SHARON.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 pm

This one is from 1956 too, and features vocals by Hank Cochran, with whom Eddie started his recording career as The Cochran Brothers (they were not related).

They did three singles for the Ekko label between 1955 and 1956, but also left behind several unissued recordings together.

"I'm Ready" is one of them - it wasn't issued until 1971. This track also features astounding guitar work by Eddie :

phpBB [video]

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Another cool pic.

This is a collectors EP issued in 1986 by UK label Rockstar Records, who have specialized since the 70's in issuing rare Cochran stuff, often previously unreleased, in single, EP, LP and CD - and VHS !

EP2012Front -.jpg

This sensational photo was taken by Harry Hammond on Sunday, 21 February, 1960, at the New Musical Express Poll Concert, at Wembley, London. Other musicians seen in the photo are members of Eddie's backing band during the UK tour, The Wild Cats : (l-r) "Big" Jim Sullivan, Brian Bennett (later to join The Shadows) and Tony Belcher.

You can dig many more Hammond photos from the same day here, including a more complete, probably uncropped, version of the one used in the shown EP sleeve :

http://www.eddie-cochran.info/nme.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:06 am

Cochran is still almost the forgotten rock n roll star - although he is more revered in Europe, I think. To me, Cochran is right up there at the very top - his vocal performances oozed both sex and humour (his version of Long Tall Sally is a good example of this), and his early death robbed us of one of the all-time greats.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 am

My father saw him in Newcastle on his final tour. Great performer.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:Cochran is still almost the forgotten rock n roll star - although he is more revered in Europe, I think. To me, Cochran is right up there at the very top - his vocal performances oozed both sex and humour (his version of Long Tall Sally is a good example of this), and his early death robbed us of one of the all-time greats.

Yes, he's much more revered in Europe, but although he's been covered by many famous performers and bands (The Who, and The Sex Pistols come to mind), the breadth of his amazing work is still not known outside of the 50's music fans. He died at 21, and did it all : sang, played, wrote, produced, backed... Just as Buddy Holly did, too (he died at 22).

Cochran did "Long Tall Sally" early on his career as part of a demo session, in 1956. He also recorded "Blue Suede Shoes" the same day, along with two other tracks. All of this stuff was released posthumously, with overdubbed instruments. Nowadays, it's all available as he did it, undubbed. Here's all the info :

http://www.eddiecochran.info/Sessions/II.htm (middle of page)

George Smith wrote:My father saw him in Newcastle on his final tour. Great performer.

Priceless memories, George !

Thanks to both for your comments !

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 am

Great photo! Based on the sign in the background, it was taken at Wallach's Music City then located at Sunset Blvd. and Vine in Hollywood California. Just a block away from the RCA building at 6363 Sunset Blvd.

I have fond memories of shopping at Wallach's Music City during my childhood in the 1960s. They had listening booths where you could sample records before buying them. I remember buying the sheet music for Suspicious Minds there when the single was released.

Mister Moon wrote:I like this photo of Eddie and his girlfriend, songwriter Sharon Sheeley, sifting through some records, around 1959.

On top left of the image, you can see the stereo section of the record store !

Also, just behind Eddie is a Harry Belafonte album waiting to be picked up. Do you recognize any other record sleeves ?

w SHARON.jpg

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:07 am

mjsantafe wrote:Great photo! Based on the sign in the background, it was taken at Wallach's Music City then located at Sunset Blvd. and Vine in Hollywood California. Just a block away from the RCA building at 6363 Sunset Blvd.

I have fond memories of shopping at Wallach's Music City during my childhood in the 1960s. They had listening booths where you could sample records before buying them. I remember buying the sheet music for Suspicious Minds there when the single was released.

Thanks a million, mjsantafe, for this incredible information. I really appreciate it.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhtEtkT1I78

Complete album :mrgreen: :smt003 :smt006

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

You can't go wrong with Eddie !

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 pm

More Cochran greatness.

This Les Paul-styled instrumental, "Meet Mr. Tweedy", was recorded in 1958. Everything you hear in this recording is Eddie, which means he laid down countless guitar and bass overdubs to create the final cut.

Sadly, this incredible recording did not see the light of day until 1996, when it was released on CD by Rockstar Records :

phpBB [video]

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:29 am

Music of an almost other-worldly beauty:

phpBB [video]

R.I.P. Edward Raymond Cochran.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Music of an almost other-worldly beauty:

phpBB [video]

R.I.P. Edward Raymond Cochran.

Thanks for the post, elvisalisellers.

"Rain" is a really beautiful recording, and one of the gems that were found among Eddie's own personal record collection, in the form of an acetate.

Rain acetate.jpg

This was first released by the above mentioned "Rockstar" label in 1998, as one of the previously unreleased tracks in their "Don't Forget Me" CD (RSR CD-014), issued to mark the 60th. anniversary of Eddie's birth.

Rockstar CD 014 - 1998.JPG

(Images courtesy of the excellent "Remember Eddie Cochran" website : http://www.eddiecochran.info/Index.html)