Off Topic Messages

Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Many of us who partake in research activities for business or pleasure will have subscribed at some point to http://newspaperarchive.com/. It's a very useful site that provides access to back issues of mostly regional newspapers in searchable formats etc. I subscribed for a couple of years whilst doing my PhD. I cancelled my membership in May when I was at writing up stage and no longer using it. Rather than cancelling my membership, they have since taken two further payments at nearly twice the previous amount.

I have always assumed this was a legit site, and may well have been when I joined. However, it appears that this is not the case now. I called them last night in an effort to sort things out. They say they have no record of my cancellation. I also enquired about the price increase from $40 a quarter to $70, and why I hadn't been informed in advance of the increase. Their answer was that their terms and conditions state that such an increase can happen at any time without notification. This is, of course, illegal - all subscription based purchases require the business to tell us of price hikes a specified number of weeks in advance. In the end they agreed to a refund and I asked for an email confirming this. The email arrived confirming only the cancellation of my account with no comment about a refund.

Their facebook page is full of complaints about alarmingly similar cases, and their BBB has fallen to an F. I'm in the UK so not sure how the BBB works, but get the general idea that if it's an F they ain't too good!

So, this is a heads up for anyone who subscribes to the site to check your bank statements for price increases you might not have noticed, and to forewarn anyone of the issues surrounding cancellations.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 pm

That's bad news. I have been a member there for some time but I always cancel my membership when their prices get too high and then I wait until they have an offer. Thanks for the heads up because lat week I noticed that they stop us being able to cancel membership online, i think now they make it more complicated.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Checking again, they want $99 for 6 months when I paid $40 for a year. The credit card they have on file has expired. :D

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Nightmare trying to cancel my subscription. :facep:

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Posting this and after being on the phone trying to get in contact, I finally received an email about canceling my subscription....Thank you poormadpeter for the heads up.

I don't know if there are new management or owners but i have cancelled my account before with no problem.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:48 am

Francesc wrote:Posting this and after being on the phone trying to get in contact, I finally received an email about canceling my subscription....Thank you poormadpeter for the heads up.

I don't know if there are new management or owners but i have cancelled my account before with no problem.


No problem

There have apparently been 115 official complaints against them with various authorities over the last year or so - my understanding from a film forum is that they have, indeed, changed hands.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 pm

That explains all these problem, because I have been a member of that website off and on since 2007 and never a problem. This time was a lot harder and maybe they let me go since my credit card on file had expired.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Hmm, I'm currently awaiting a reply to my request for a subscription cancellation.

I'd decided to cancel last month anyway because the project I've been researching is drawing near to an end: I'll watch with interest for a reply.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:Many of us who partake in research activities for business or pleasure will have subscribed at some point to http://newspaperarchive.com/. It's a very useful site that provides access to back issues of mostly regional newspapers in searchable formats etc. I subscribed for a couple of years whilst doing my PhD. I cancelled my membership in May when I was at writing up stage and no longer using it. Rather than cancelling my membership, they have since taken two further payments at nearly twice the previous amount.

I have always assumed this was a legit site, and may well have been when I joined. However, it appears that this is not the case now. I called them last night in an effort to sort things out. They say they have no record of my cancellation. I also enquired about the price increase from $40 a quarter to $70, and why I hadn't been informed in advance of the increase. Their answer was that their terms and conditions state that such an increase can happen at any time without notification. This is, of course, illegal - all subscription based purchases require the business to tell us of price hikes a specified number of weeks in advance. In the end they agreed to a refund and I asked for an email confirming this. The email arrived confirming only the cancellation of my account with no comment about a refund.

Their facebook page is full of complaints about alarmingly similar cases, and their BBB has fallen to an F. I'm in the UK so not sure how the BBB works, but get the general idea that if it's an F they ain't too good!

So, this is a heads up for anyone who subscribes to the site to check your bank statements for price increases you might not have noticed, and to forewarn anyone of the issues surrounding cancellations.


There is no fraud here. Lousy business practices, perhaps, but not fraud.

Unfortunately, this is another case of reading the small print before giving someone your money. There is nothing happening to you that is not mentioned on the Terms & Conditions that you agreed to when you signed up.

Modifications to this Agreement, Service, Content and/or Materials

NewspaperArchive.com and its subsidiaries, in sole discretion, may change or discontinue any or all aspects of the Agreement, Service, Content and/or Materials at any time, without notice, including, but not limited to, access to the above mentioned or ancillary agreements, services, content and/or materials.

[snip]

YOU MUST TAKE THE PROPER STEPS, OUTLINED IN SECTION 2.5 TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT AND CEASE RECURRING BILLING.

[snip]

2.5 Cancellation

You may cancel your membership to NewspaperARCHIVE.com at anytime, and cancellation will be effective immediately. WE DO NOT PROVIDE REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR ANY PARTIAL-MONTH OR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PERIODS.

Some Subscription levels of the Service(s) distributed by NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries may be based on your commitment to subscribe for a minimum amount of time, e.g. three months or twelve months. Such minimum commitment is based upon your Subscription billing date, and may or may not fall at the beginning or the end of a particular calendar month. In the event of early termination, you agree, as a responsible adult user and/or subscriber, that NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries may incur costs associated in the value of said Subscription agreement in whole. Therefore, in the event of early termination for any reason, including but not limited to, credit card expiration, credit card decline, non-sufficient funds, voluntary and/or by us, you agree and accept sole responsibility for any charges that may incur under this Agreement. To cease the automatic billing on your account, you understand that you must properly cancel the account by following the instructions provided below. ALL CHARGES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

If you wish to cancel, please follow one of these cancellation options:

1. Please call us at 1-888-845-2887.
2. Email us at customerservice@newspaperarchive.com

You will receive a confirmation e-mail after your request has been received and processed. NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries does not refund an account for unused time. Please be aware that any recurring charges made prior to your cancellation will not be refunded. In addition, any stated term of your subscription will continue to be in effect regardless of your cancellation request until the end-date of said subscription term. Your credit card will be billed if your cancellation request is not received prior to your accounts renewal date or before the end of a Free Trial Period.

As a responsible adult user and/or subscriber, you agree and understand that it is your sole responsibility to follow the cancellation procedures listed in this section. You, as a responsible adult user and/or subscriber agree to and take full responsibility for any and all charges incurred under your Subscription.

[snip]

2.7 Refund Policy

As stated within this document, NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries maintain(s) an ALL CHARGES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE policy. You, as a responsible adult user and/or subscriber agree and understand that by subscribing to any or all Services attached to and/or implied within this agreement, you are responsible for any and all charges incurred under your Subscription to said Services.

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Search Old Newspaper Articles Online - Terms And Conditions
http://newspaperarchive.com/termscondition

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Many of us who partake in research activities for business or pleasure will have subscribed at some point to http://newspaperarchive.com/. It's a very useful site that provides access to back issues of mostly regional newspapers in searchable formats etc. I subscribed for a couple of years whilst doing my PhD. I cancelled my membership in May when I was at writing up stage and no longer using it. Rather than cancelling my membership, they have since taken two further payments at nearly twice the previous amount.

I have always assumed this was a legit site, and may well have been when I joined. However, it appears that this is not the case now. I called them last night in an effort to sort things out. They say they have no record of my cancellation. I also enquired about the price increase from $40 a quarter to $70, and why I hadn't been informed in advance of the increase. Their answer was that their terms and conditions state that such an increase can happen at any time without notification. This is, of course, illegal - all subscription based purchases require the business to tell us of price hikes a specified number of weeks in advance. In the end they agreed to a refund and I asked for an email confirming this. The email arrived confirming only the cancellation of my account with no comment about a refund.

Their facebook page is full of complaints about alarmingly similar cases, and their BBB has fallen to an F. I'm in the UK so not sure how the BBB works, but get the general idea that if it's an F they ain't too good!

So, this is a heads up for anyone who subscribes to the site to check your bank statements for price increases you might not have noticed, and to forewarn anyone of the issues surrounding cancellations.


There is no fraud here. Lousy business practices, perhaps, but not fraud.

Unfortunately, this is another case of reading the small print before giving someone your money. There is nothing happening to you that is not mentioned on the Terms & Conditions that you agreed to when you signed up.

Modifications to this Agreement, Service, Content and/or Materials

NewspaperArchive.com and its subsidiaries, in sole discretion, may change or discontinue any or all aspects of the Agreement, Service, Content and/or Materials at any time, without notice, including, but not limited to, access to the above mentioned or ancillary agreements, services, content and/or materials.

[snip]

YOU MUST TAKE THE PROPER STEPS, OUTLINED IN SECTION 2.5 TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT AND CEASE RECURRING BILLING.

[snip]

2.5 Cancellation

You may cancel your membership to NewspaperARCHIVE.com at anytime, and cancellation will be effective immediately. WE DO NOT PROVIDE REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR ANY PARTIAL-MONTH OR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PERIODS.

Some Subscription levels of the Service(s) distributed by NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries may be based on your commitment to subscribe for a minimum amount of time, e.g. three months or twelve months. Such minimum commitment is based upon your Subscription billing date, and may or may not fall at the beginning or the end of a particular calendar month. In the event of early termination, you agree, as a responsible adult user and/or subscriber, that NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries may incur costs associated in the value of said Subscription agreement in whole. Therefore, in the event of early termination for any reason, including but not limited to, credit card expiration, credit card decline, non-sufficient funds, voluntary and/or by us, you agree and accept sole responsibility for any charges that may incur under this Agreement. To cease the automatic billing on your account, you understand that you must properly cancel the account by following the instructions provided below. ALL CHARGES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

If you wish to cancel, please follow one of these cancellation options:

1. Please call us at 1-888-845-2887.
2. Email us at customerservice@newspaperarchive.com

You will receive a confirmation e-mail after your request has been received and processed. NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries does not refund an account for unused time. Please be aware that any recurring charges made prior to your cancellation will not be refunded. In addition, any stated term of your subscription will continue to be in effect regardless of your cancellation request until the end-date of said subscription term. Your credit card will be billed if your cancellation request is not received prior to your accounts renewal date or before the end of a Free Trial Period.

As a responsible adult user and/or subscriber, you agree and understand that it is your sole responsibility to follow the cancellation procedures listed in this section. You, as a responsible adult user and/or subscriber agree to and take full responsibility for any and all charges incurred under your Subscription.

[snip]

2.7 Refund Policy

As stated within this document, NewspaperArchive.com and/or its subsidiaries maintain(s) an ALL CHARGES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE policy. You, as a responsible adult user and/or subscriber agree and understand that by subscribing to any or all Services attached to and/or implied within this agreement, you are responsible for any and all charges incurred under your Subscription to said Services.

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Search Old Newspaper Articles Online - Terms And Conditions
http://newspaperarchive.com/termscondition



Semantics. Firstly, a company should cancel a subscription when you request that cancellation. Secondly, BY LAW they have to inform all subscribers in writing (email) of a forthcoming price rise. It doesn't matter what their T&C say, they are breaking the law by not informing subscribers of price rises. Thirdly, the T&C were altered some time last year when the company seemingly changed hands, also without informing subscribers, and also breaking American laws.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm

In any event, I was just about to take the plunge! Thanks. The Google archive still exists, but is very hard to get to by now. It is there, and is free. Worth the struggle. It is not updated, of course.

I wonder if there's any connection between this subscription service and the decision to close down the free Google archive?

I wish they'd bring it back like it was.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 pm

You are right about the Google Archive. It is there but sometimes tricky to go to newspapers. Then there is a weird indek for newspapers but you dont know where the newspapers are from . :facep:

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Francesc wrote:You are right about the Google Archive. It is there but sometimes tricky to go to newspapers. Then there is a weird indek for newspapers but you dont know where the newspapers are from . :facep:


Well, officially, it's been "discontinued." So, there is no reference to it in the Google apps. And whatever was there when they stopped it, is what is still there. When you can successfully get to it, it's wonderful. And FREE! I have saved some cool stuff. I will do a test search, now. To see if I can get to it.

Google often discontinues its best services! And this was the TOP! (Why not? People throw out old newspapers, or use them for kitty litter. Why not make old papers available, free?)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=rpUpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dlADAAAAIBAJ&pg=7104,2823204&dq=elvis+jack+anderson+nixon+white-house&hl=en

I Googled "Google Newspaper Archive" and a search box popped up. When I specified the newspaper I wished and said "Washington Post," where it first appeared, and was syndicated from there, it gave me this newspaper. But it's the same article, and it's good enough to cite in research. And you can keep looking, once you're in there.

How much does it cost if it's free? ;)

(Oh, I and I clipped it to my Evernote! I had to do it twice, because it only captures what part of the paper you can see, but it's not a screen-shot, which is also an option. Meanwhile, I have it, and it's tagged, and I can always find it! :D Anyone here who doesn't have Evernote . . . I just don't know what to say! :o )

rjm

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:Semantics. Firstly, a company should cancel a subscription when you request that cancellation. Secondly, BY LAW they have to inform all subscribers in writing (email) of a forthcoming price rise. It doesn't matter what their T&C say, they are breaking the law by not informing subscribers of price rises. Thirdly, the T&C were altered some time last year when the company seemingly changed hands, also without informing subscribers, and also breaking American laws.


It's not "semantics," you are being obstinate to clear facts.

Again, you need to read the small print when you enter into a financial agreement, as your foot-stamping about the "LAW" and "breaking American laws" is not going to accomplish a thing. Case in point, you clearly have STILL not read their Terms & Conditions, even after my post:


Other
This is an agreement in whole or in part shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of The Bahamas, without regard to any principles or conflicts of law. If any provision of this agreement shall be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then the provision in question shall be deemed severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.


Being informed is your strongest ally. I have done my best to help you. Good luck.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Semantics. Firstly, a company should cancel a subscription when you request that cancellation. Secondly, BY LAW they have to inform all subscribers in writing (email) of a forthcoming price rise. It doesn't matter what their T&C say, they are breaking the law by not informing subscribers of price rises. Thirdly, the T&C were altered some time last year when the company seemingly changed hands, also without informing subscribers, and also breaking American laws.


It's not "semantics," you are being obstinate to clear facts.

Again, you need to read the small print when you enter into a financial agreement, as your foot-stamping about the "LAW" and "breaking American laws" is not going to accomplish a thing. Case in point, you clearly have STILL not read their Terms & Conditions, even after my post:


Other
This is an agreement in whole or in part shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of The Bahamas, without regard to any principles or conflicts of law. If any provision of this agreement shall be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then the provision in question shall be deemed severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.


Being informed is your strongest ally. I have done my best to help you. Good luck.


Either way, you did not read MY post that quite clearly stated that the small print you pasted was changed last year AFTER I had signed up in 2011. I never signed up to the T&C you have posted. The company at that point was American and had to therefore abide by American law. As far as I can ascertain, the company is STILL American, and is registered as an american company. It doesn't matter what it says now, if the T&C were changed to what you have posted in this thread while I was subscribing, then I should have been notified in writing. I was not.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:Either way, you did not read MY post that quite clearly stated that the small print you pasted was changed last year AFTER I had signed up in 2011.


Never assume. Because when you assume ...

I did read your post, as I never reply to anyone's post without reading it first. You should embrace that philosophy.

As for your unending lament, it doesn't matter. It was always your responsibility.

It may be poor business, but that's the way it is.

Virtually the same all-encompassing Terms & Conditions were in place in 2011, when you did not read them then.

Terms & Conditions --> December 16, 2010 web archive
http://web.archive.org/web/20101216174355/http://newspaperarchive.com/HtmlViewer.aspx?ctl=TermsConditions

Again, knowledge is an asset, and I have gone out of my way to disabuse you of your misunderstanding over this.

Thank you.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Actually, I thank you for finding that, as it proves that the original T&C were far different from the present ones, and that the T&C I agreed to promised to adhere to US law and not that of the Bahamas. It may prove very useful should they contest the disputed charge situation with my bank.

Re: Newspaper Archive Fraud

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 am

poormadpeter wrote:Actually, I thank you for finding that, as it proves that the original T&C were far different from the present ones ...


Don't think so. Especially not where it counts.

You just aren't good with details, I guess. Oh well.