Off Topic Messages

''Behind The Candelabra''

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Altough ive never had any interest in Liberace, this film is a ''must see''. Michael Douglas and Matt Damon are going ''all the way'' and their acting is superb. The story is mainly about the 6 year relationship between Liberace and the 17 year old Scott Thorson (1977). The self-conceit of Liberace is beyond borders. I didn't knew Liberace was the best paid entertainer (there you go, Parker) during the 50's - 70's. And it shows. At least Liberace did better than EP, money wise.

Re: ''Behind The Candelabra''

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 pm

It was a good movie. Douglas and Damon were very good.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 am

Given some of your invective on this forum through the years, this topic is kind of astonishing.

Did something change?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:05 am

Hmm, I guess so! ;-)

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:28 pm

well about the story ....

scenarists > they should have inspired on 'great balls of fire' movie
i felt a lack of rhythm, no suspense, not much piano

and who cares about the dog story ... & the boredom of her mother
and all the gay sex that brings nothing at all
they should have brought celebs ( characters )

too bad, there's an empty feeling throughout the movie :?

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 pm

tcb4 wrote:well about the story ....

scenarists > they should have inspired on 'great balls of fire' movie
i felt a lack of rhythm, no suspense, not much piano

and who cares about the dog story ... & the boredom of her mother
and all the gay sex that brings nothing at all
they should have brought celebs ( characters )

too bad, there's an empty feeling throughout the movie :?

If I wanted piano, I'd have bought a CD.

It's one of the very few genuinely interesting films to have come out of 2013 so far. I admit that I thought it was going to be awful and, in many respects, it should have been. Douglas as Liberace could have been downright awful, but he gives one of his best performances since Wall Street.

I like Matt Damon very much, but having a 43 year old man playing a man in his teens and 20s was a bit of a sell-out, I thought. Yes, it tells the audience there was an age gap, but it doesn't show the extent of that age gap or just how young this man was in real life - this is mentioned in the film, but that's just a number and very different to having someone of that age playing the role. There are good reasons for this, of course - having, for example, someone of Zac Efron's age (and he would have been superb) getting "friendly" with Michael Douglas would have alienated audiences and made them feel uncomfortable. Having Matt Damon sweetens the pill somewhat, and stops the film from judging the affair as much as it otherwise would have because it makes us forget that age gap.

What's most telling about the film, of course, is that the TV networks in America refused it because of the gay subject matter, something which is remarkably sad in this day and age. I do sometimes wonder when middle America will grow up.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:05 am

I agree on that last part, and the acting was impressive. It couldn't have been easy: Liberace was SO over-the-top.

But, I found it extremely one-sided, which was to be expected. But was it entirely or even mostly truthful as to Liberace's actual character and personality?

I'm not sure. And they made his hiding the cause of death, way back then, seem "wrong," and more evidence of Lee's bad character.

People who don't remember the 80s won't understand the context of those times, and judge him by today's standards.

Correct me if you think I read it wrong.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Took me a while to warm up to Michael Douglas as Liberace because the role was such a departure for him, but after settling in to watch the whole film I thought he did great justice to the role. Interesting movie. I enjoyed it.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Is Liberace presented in a bad way then? Not seen it yet but have always been a fan of Liberace whom I feel was one phenominal entertainer and personality.

I'll be very sad if he is depicted as a bad guy.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 pm

In life Liberace always seemed like a really nice guy, and i always liked him, but this Movie made him come across as a creepy jerk. And after growing up always seeing him as i used too, i don't think i'll ever be able to see him, as i used to, after watching this Movie.

This is why i really don't like watching some Biopics of celebrities that i've always liked, and then i see a movie portraying them either how they really are behind closed doors, or the writers just portrayed it wrong :?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Is Liberace presented in a bad way then? .

some introductions werent necessary .....

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:27 am

SUN-RCA wrote:In life Liberace always seemed like a really nice guy, and i always liked him, but this Movie made him come across as a creepy jerk. And after growing up always seeing him as i used too, i don't think i'll ever be able to see him, as i used to, after watching this Movie.

This is why i really don't like watching some Biopics of celebrities that i've always liked, and then i see a movie portraying them either how they really are behind closed doors, or the writers just portrayed it wrong :?

You have to remember that this is a man who sued a newspaper in the UK for libel in the 1950s when they insinuated he was homosexual. And won. He had no option at that time in history, but the fact that he was able to convince a jury of that shows just how much of a fa├žade he was able to put up.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:02 pm

It always baffles me how he managed to convince the world he wasn't gay. Come on!! He couldn't have been more obvious if he'd tried!

An old biopic I saw presented Scotty as an azzhole and Lee as a gentle, lovely man. Now this one is the opposite it seems.

Really really sad to hear this - especially in this time when many of my childhood heroes are being tried and charged with various seedy crimes since the outing of Jimmy Savile.

At this rate, there'll soon be no celebrities left to remember fondly!!

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It always baffles me how he managed to convince the world he wasn't gay. Come on!! He couldn't have been more obvious if he'd tried!

An old biopic I saw presented Scotty as an azzhole and Lee as a gentle, lovely man. Now this one is the opposite it seems.

Really really sad to hear this - especially in this time when many of my childhood heroes are being tried and charged with various seedy crimes since the outing of Jimmy Savile.

At this rate, there'll soon be no celebrities left to remember fondly!!

It is just a movie. Scott was nearly 18. Okay, that was kinda . . . problematic, but Elvis dated teens. (I know: he was significantly younger when he did so!)

But I don't think he was a bad guy, not that bad like the guy makes him out to be. He did sue him for palimony for $115 million bucks! Not such a naive kid.

And Lee didn't fool everybody, for sure. My mom always told me he was gay, but that he won a British lawsuit over it anyway. But people knew. And he had to know he wasn't really fooling anyone.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am

Watched this last night and found it very enjoyable,Liberace was just Liberace,i dont like him any less after watching this film.Michael Douglas was superb

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:05 pm

:smt078

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 pm

There's been a lot of very good films released this year and Behind the Candelabra is certainly one of them. It's a well-written, superbly directed and a finely acted film that may, unfortunately, be Steven Soderbergh's cinematic swan song as a director. Side Effects not withstanding. The title of this film alone could be the source of much discussion -- after all, there's nowhere to hide behind a candelabra, where everything can be seen. It's an intentional title, of course, Liberace being a man who tried to hide behind a public persona and conceal the inner conflict of his life and, ultimately, the cause of his death. As mentioned, the central narrative of this film concerns the relationship between Liberace and his teenage lover, Scott Thorson. And what's interesting about the way this is handled pertains to the mood Soderbergh creates. It's very akin to a gothic horror. Liberace being the monster who lures the ingenue to his lair. And I mean that not in a condescending way towards Liberace as a character, or the real person, merely as a subtle metaphor for the tone of this very good piece of film-making. And that extends to the acting. Matt Damon is well cast here and brings such an endearing doe-eyed optimism to a role he's actually too old for, but is ideal nonetheless. When that affection and eagerness to please turns to bitterness and spite, the depths of his performance really shows across a wide character arc. Michael Douglas, over twenty-five years Damon's senior, and with an impressive career as both an actor and a producer, gives a career-best performance, in my opinion. Rarely has he become so deeply invested in a character. Especially one who is such a huge departure for him. His mannerisms and delivery are compelling in every single scene. And at the piano, he looks very much at home. In support, Scott Bakula is good in his own right and Debbie Reynolds is nigh-on unrecognisable as Liberace's mother. Although, Rob Lowe almost steals the show as a plastic surgeon who isn't shy of his own profession. Also of note is the art direction, set design and costumes, which are true to both place and time. Especially the Las Vegas stage, Liberace's opulent abode, garish outfits and the ordinary attire of the time. Ultimately, this is a moving and touching story that has a lot of affection for its subject and a tenderness that's never at odds with the visage created by one of the most outlandish entertainers ever to take centre stage.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I can remember watching Lee on the Johnny Carson show. He was one of my favorite guests so if I knew he was going to be on, I'd beg my parents to let me stay up and watch the show. Haven't seen the movie yet. Not too sure I want to. We always knew he was gay, even then. An amazing talent and like so many others left too soon.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:08 pm

greystoke wrote:There's been a lot of very good films released this year and Behind the Candelabra is certainly one of them. It's a well-written, superbly directed and a finely acted film that may, unfortunately, be Steven Soderbergh's cinematic swan song as a director. Side Effects not withstanding. The title of this film alone could be the source of much discussion -- after all, there's nowhere to hide behind a candelabra, where everything can be seen. It's an intentional title, of course, Liberace being a man who tried to hide behind a public persona and conceal the inner conflict of his life and, ultimately, the cause of his death. As mentioned, the central narrative of this film concerns the relationship between Liberace and his teenage lover, Scott Thorson. And what's interesting about the way this is handled pertains to the mood Soderbergh creates. It's very akin to a gothic horror. Liberace being the monster who lures the ingenue to his lair. And I mean that not in a condescending way towards Liberace as a character, or the real person, merely as a subtle metaphor for the tone of this very good piece of film-making. And that extends to the acting. Matt Damon is well cast here and brings such an endearing doe-eyed optimism to a role he's actually too old for, but is ideal nonetheless. When that affection and eagerness to please turns to bitterness and spite, the depths of his performance really shows across a wide character arc. Michael Douglas, over twenty-five years Damon's senior, and with an impressive career as both an actor and a producer, gives a career-best performance, in my opinion. Rarely has he become so deeply invested in a character. Especially one who is such a huge departure for him. His mannerisms and delivery are compelling in every single scene. And at the piano, he looks very much at home. In support, Scott Bakula is good in his own right and Debbie Reynolds is nigh-on unrecognisable as Liberace's mother. Although, Rob Lowe almost steals the show as a plastic surgeon who isn't shy of his own profession. Also of note is the art direction, set design and costumes, which are true to both place and time. Especially the Las Vegas stage, Liberace's opulent abode, garish outfits and the ordinary attire of the time. Ultimately, this is a moving and touching story that has a lot of affection for its subject and a tenderness that's never at odds with the visage created by one of the most outlandish entertainers ever to take centre stage.

Outlandish and ... beloved. And, of course, let's not forget Gladys Presley was one of his biggest fans.

Nice take on the film.