Off Topic Messages

New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 am

I got a little card with my Bootleg Series Vol. 10 advertising the Complete Bob Dylan box set. 41 CD's and a hard cover book. I've seen nothing on his web site or Amazon (really, no where). Does anyone know anything more about this set? Are the first several discs in Mono like the re-masters set from a few years ago? Also, they said there are going to be 14 re-mastered titles. Does anyone know which ones those are? Any release date?

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:34 am

Should be out before Christmas. There's a good discussion about it here:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... on.326813/

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 am

Sony seem to be pushing on with these huge boxed sets. I wonder whether it will be at the igh price of the Tony Bennett set or the low price of the Johnny Cash set? And one has to wonder why a complete original album has yet to be release for Elvis?!

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:55 am

poormadpeter wrote: And one has to wonder why a complete original album has yet to be release for Elvis?!

You mean "album set" ?

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:27 am

What about the Complete Masters boxset? That's a pretty nice one for Elvis.

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:20 am

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: And one has to wonder why a complete original album has yet to be release for Elvis?!

You mean "album set" ?


Yep!

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 am

memphisound wrote:What about the Complete Masters boxset? That's a pretty nice one for Elvis.


It's also a pretty nice price! Not. The Cash set of original albums was £125 for 63 albums. There's no reason why a complete Elvis album set couldn't be released at around the same price - and there would be guaranteed purchases from fans because albums such as Speedway, Spinout, etc have yet to be issued on CD in their original form. They could also guarantee more sales by doing the same as they did with Cash's set, and release the 60s albums in mono for the first time on CD.

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:40 am

poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:What about the Complete Masters boxset? That's a pretty nice one for Elvis.

It's also a pretty nice price! Not. The Cash set of original albums was £125 for 63 albums. There's no reason why a complete Elvis album set couldn't be released at around the same price - and there would be guaranteed purchases from fans because albums such as Speedway, Spinout, etc have yet to be issued on CD in their original form. They could also guarantee more sales by doing the same as they did with Cash's set, and release the 60s albums in mono for the first time on CD.

I like your idea, poormadpeter. All the VICTOR and CAMDEN albums could be issued as they were originally released (artwork & tracklistings)
... at a reasonable price!

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:What about the Complete Masters boxset? That's a pretty nice one for Elvis.

It's also a pretty nice price! Not. The Cash set of original albums was £125 for 63 albums. There's no reason why a complete Elvis album set couldn't be released at around the same price - and there would be guaranteed purchases from fans because albums such as Speedway, Spinout, etc have yet to be issued on CD in their original form. They could also guarantee more sales by doing the same as they did with Cash's set, and release the 60s albums in mono for the first time on CD.

I like your idea, poormadpeter. All the VICTOR and CAMDEN albums could be issued as they were originally released (artwork & tracklistings)
... at a reasonable price!


That would be the plan, and is the way the Cash set was released. The Miles Davis set (much more expensive) has bonus tracks on each disc, but don't think that would be the way to go here.

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:They could also guarantee more sales by doing the same as they did with Cash's set, and release the 60s albums in mono for the first time on CD.


Sony is definitely releasing those mono mixes for other artists. The Harry Nilsson box, the Sly & The Family Stone box and the upcoming Miles Davis mono box. So an Elvis mono box or a mono singles compilation would be nice. The only problem is that many of Elvis mono mixes are fold down whereas many of the mixes at Colimbia are dedicated.

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 pm

According to one website, the release date is November 5. No word on pricing yet.

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:36 am

Just pre-ordered The Complete Album collection on Amazon for $255 and some change. Not bad for 47 discs.

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:59 am

I don't think I'd go for that. What I have already is pretty doggone nice, and I have Bob's sixties albums in mono, on the mono set. How GOOD could the remastering BE for that kind of money?

I'm happy with the way it's going . . . except that they're doing this, and not releasing the Complete Basement Tapes, legally. That ain't cool.

rjm

Re: New Bob Dylan box set

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 am

I also just got the Mono box set. $50, still sealed. Too good of a deal to pass up.