Off Topic Messages

Family and around the world in 365 days

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am

Our 18 (almost 19 year old) is taking a gap year before college/university. He's off to Mexico, France, Greece, Hungary, Turkey, Israel, Tanzania, India and Nepal. So far. He'll probably end up in China, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii and Vancouver before he makes it back to Ottawa. So that's why we took this family photo.

Left to right - Pop (my dad), Ryan (my son taking the trip), my wife Joan, moi, my daughter Shannon, my son Sean & his wife Vicky and my Mom (Nana).

Family is it folks. All the rest is just window dressing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by paulsweeney on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Family

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Great pic Paul! Just wondering why y'all not wearing your Elvis t-shirts??? Surely you must have infected your family with the E-virus???

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Nice pic Paul......hope Ryan will have a great world tour.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Nice looking family Paul!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:Great pic Paul! Just wondering why y'all not wearing your Elvis t-shirts??? Surely you must have infected your family with the E-virus???

I did have on my Blues Brothers t-shirt...

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 am

Great looking family you have!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 am

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Nice photo Paul

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:14 am

Great family photo, Paul. You are a mighty lucky fellow.

(If I had a kid that age, I would probably try to get him (or her) to go to community college and not leave! Not for a while. It takes a courageous and loving parent to say "go: fly free!")

rjm

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am

Ryan has made a very wise decision. He will never again in his life feel as rich and free as he did while traveling the world at the perfect age of 19.

Will he keep a blog of some sorts, or will you keep us posted about his adventures?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:41 am

Wish him good luck from all of us. You are lucky to have everyone together, happy and healthy. It doesn't last forever, so enjoy every moment.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 am

Bob-Holland wrote:Ryan has made a very wise decision. He will never again in his life feel as rich and free as he did while traveling the world at the perfect age of 19.

Will he keep a blog of some sorts, or will you keep us posted about his adventures?

Here is the link to his blog;

http://blog.travelpod.com/members/ryanpatrick

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wish him good luck from all of us. You are lucky to have everyone together, happy and healthy. It doesn't last forever, so enjoy every moment.

Thanks Doc. That's so very true. He's pumped for the trip, as you'll see if you check out the blog.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:20 am

Great photo and a lovely family you have ! good luck to your son on his adventures !!!

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 am

Hey, I am in one of those far off land(s), am pretty sure he will not come to my little corner of the world, but if he does, or needs help- tell him to give a shout....

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:34 am

I now have his blog bookmarked and will follow his journeys. Sounds so exciting; when I was 19, I made an, uh, "adventurous" bicycle journey, all the way to the McFarland Mall in Tuscaloosa. LOL! (It's really something to actually travel the whole world!)

Great kid you got there! {thumbs up} You sure must be proud of Ryan.. :D

Robin
P.S. -- We must do something, tho, about his taste in Star Trek films. ;)

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:43 pm

A fine-looking bunch, Paul!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:48 am

"Family is it folks. All the rest is just window dressing"

So true Paul.Good luck to Ryan,exciting times ahead.

norrie

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:33 am

Nice pic Paul! He will have a great time!

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:11 pm

The trip has begun! March on Ryan, the world awaits!ImageImage

Family

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 am

Ryan's blog post from Mexico - what a day!

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-e ... /tpod.html

Well, it's safe to say this trip is going to be interesting, considering how my very first day went.
After hugging my mom tightly while she cried in my arms, I boarded my flight from Montreal to Mexico City. Luckily, I had my own screen with games and a movie selection of my choice! It was awesome. Of course, the food was delicious as well. All went well until the last two hours of the flight. At that point, a baby decided to throw up all over his mother. Lets just say I rather smell sh*t than whatever the hell that kid had eaten (I'm thinking fish soaked in garlic with a side of onion soup...horrid). To add to it, an elderly gentleman accidentally took my bag, and I was looking for it on the plane for ten minutes (talk about mini heart attack). Thankfully I retrieved it, and made my way through Mexican Customs. At Mexico City International Airport, I was surprised to see the time for my flight had not been changed from 4:55pm to 5:55pm like the email I received this morning had said.

So I made my way to the designated gate, to find the flight was suddenly gone from all screens. I reassured myself it would appear again and would fly out at 5:55pm. Sure enough, after eating, and only 30 minutes before the flight, a gate was assigned. Thank God!
On the plane, I chatted with a friendly lady about everything from her kids to my trip, and we took turns practicing each others languages. She was very helpful in clearing up a few questions of mine :)

But it doesn't end there. I was aware the weather in Oaxaca was going to be less than ideal today, but it was much worse than I expected. My friend Chris, who was supposed to pick me up, couldn't thanks to the FLOODED streets! So I had to take a taxi van with seven others. You could see the absolute chaos (yet organized) on the way to the hostel. Police and civilians coordinated with one another to avoid huge flooded areas and avoided collisions with each other as well. Before my stop, we dropped off one guy, and while the door was open, you could see everyone starring at me. At least 20 Mexicans just starring at me (El gringo rojo). It was sort of unsettling and odd, yet I had no problem with it. It sure made me realize was it was like to completely stand out.

My stop was up, and the taxi driver told me where to find the hostel. And of course, I couldn't find it. So I had to bother some guy fixing his front door (yes he was doing this in the rain) for directions.

I spent ten minutes at the front desk of the three person family run hostel to clarify the price. I took a cold shower, not by choice, and I suppose the serotonin running through my body from the cold slapped me in the face and made me realize I was paying too much money. I quickly calculated the costs, practiced some keywords, and went back to haggle. Sure enough, my persistence and skill managed to lower the price by $1,000 pesos. ;) I then chatted with the ladies at the front desk for a bit before retiring to my cozy room.
Now here I am, resting, and beginning to realize I'm ready for bed. If this first day says anything about this trip, it's that it's going to be full of surprises, pleasant and unpleasant; I welcome both. :)

Family

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Well Paul, he's growing up fast this way!

Impressive how he handled himself! He must be like his mother..............

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 pm

"El gringo rojo" :mrgreen:

Good sign he went to get some pesos back at the hostel. That takes courage for someone in his position.
And I see he got himself a private room at the hostel, which is not very common (usually dorm rooms), but welcome for a first night.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Congratulations for your beautiful family!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Ryan's posting daily... Some interesting interesting things going on!

http://blog.travelpod.com/members/ryanpatrick

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Monte Alban, murderous dogs, and a great buffet!