Off Topic Messages

"The Man In Black" died ten years ago...

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 am

Just a very short notice... maybe some other folks around here can contribute some more stuff... Peter, how about you?

R. I. P. Johnny! You are still missed today... :cry:

Re: "The Man In Black" died ten years ago...

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 am

For Rob...

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:46 pm

watched him on his germany tour live, i think it was in -1997-.
it happened open air on a wonderful warm midsummer evening in stuttgart. the setting was build like a roman amphitheater, great atmosphere. this was right when he started his big comeback with rick rubin and the american recordings.
john was on stage with the "family", including june and his only son john carter cash.

i owned a mini tape recorder and even a video camcorder then and remember considering taping the concert live. i decided against it, didn´t even take a camera with me, because i wanted to enjoy the evening and knew the work, that comes with documenting a live event. of course, many others took fotos, the lighting conditions were excellent.

after the show the man himself came around.
exiting the stage, on trampled grassland he went past us, behind a low cordon , facing the audience.
i stepped up to him, putting out my hand, telling him: "god bless you, johnny!" (i´m not very religious, but it seemed fitting to me). he shook my hand and his big, strong prank felt like a toilet lid in mine.
after a few seconds it was over and he moved along but i´ll remember that very special moment and an outstanding summer evening for a lifetime.
Last edited by Christopher on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories, Christopher!

I was considering to see him live in Dortmund in 1997 but decided not to go... something I'll regret for the rest of my life. :cry:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:12 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories, Christopher!

I was considering to see him live in Dortmund in 1997 but decided not to go... something I'll regret for the rest of my life. :cry:

always welcome, lucky!
looks like i was wrong about the year (edited).
a small google search revealed, the concert took place on july, the 28th 1997 on the freilichtbühne killesberg during his unchained tour.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks for that!

I actually saw Willie Nelson there in 2010! :D

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:13 pm

I saw Johnny in Germany in 1985 along with Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette, Brenda Lee and the Bellamy Brothers. I saw him again in Louisville in January 1988. When I was still playing music every weekend, my lead guitar player saw him in Branson and had Johnny sign his guitar. He wrote, "To Jeff, Play it pretty. Johnny Cash." When Jeff told him that we play "Folsom Prison Blues" every weekend, Johnny replied, "Hmm, so do we."

He was a class act.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm

My dad recorded a record with Johnny back in 1979 and my dad said that Johnny was like a caged tiger...very restless and full of energy. Outside of Elvis...Johnny is one of the most unique artist ever.

[urlImage][/url]

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 pm

I have always said that if there had been no Elvis, Johnny Cash would be my # 1, I have all his Records, this man was a Great Singer & Song Writer.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm

My dad was introduced to Johnny by a mutual friend of theirs, Dr. Nat Winston. Nat was the one who helped Johhny get off pills.

Here is a short bio of Dr. Winston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_T._Winston,_Jr.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:13 pm

This video pretty much sums it up. RIP Mr.Cash.

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 pm

I remember the day very well - really only the 2nd time I had ever felt real sorrow at the passing of a celebrity (Sinatra had been the other). I hadn't actually been into Cash's music for more than a few years at that point, and so still had much to discover as most of it wasn't out on CD. Cash was a remarkable artist who was one of the few people who have managed to use their own ailments in old age to make art. Those final albums really do go beyond simply being albums. And it seems that only now, ten years after his death, is his work from the second half of his tenure at Columbia being re-evaluated. Those albums from 1972-86 didn't set the world alight, or change the course of music, but most were good albums, and all had gems on them which are worthy of inclusion in any retrospective, and are often only not included because that period of work is dismissed outright with the exception of a couple of singles. Any Old Wind That Blows, Gone Girl, The Survivors, Strawberry Cake, Johnny 99 and Rainbow are really fine albums worthy of rediscovery. Perhaps most of all, those that know Cash's albums well will realise what a wonderfully compassionate man he was despite the gruff, often angry, exterior and the demons he battled. Many bemoan the saccharine and sentimental elements of some of his recordings, but that's their loss.

Songs like the following (my own personal favourite) are the embodiment of what Cash's music-making was all about: simple, honest and compassionate.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by poormadpeter on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Johnny Cash dying was a shame.

He wasn't that old when he passed away.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

brian wrote:Johnny Cash dying was a shame.

Given the abuse he had given his body with drugs over the years, I guess he might have felt lucky to have reached 71. Considering his own severe ill health, and the recent passing of his beloved wife, my guess is that Johnny Cash probably felt his time had come. If I remember correctly he had diabetes, emphysema and a disease of the nervous system.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

Given the abuse he had given his body with drugs over the years, I guess he might have felt lucky to have reached 71. Considering his own severe ill health, and the recent passing of his beloved wife, my guess is that Johnny Cash probably felt his time had come. If I remember correctly he had diabetes, emphysema and a disease of the nervous system.

I knew of his health problems it's just that 71 years isn't that old anymore.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:06 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Was he not initially misdiagnosed? I recall this at the time - that he was diagnosed with a specific disease, and they did not treat what was really going on, and that is perhaps one of the factors in his death. But the main factor was losing June, surely. He could not survive that, no matter what.

Knowing his suffering, even though his age was not really advanced, I didn't feel sorrow at his passing as much as about his suffering with illness, and his unbearable loss. Everyone knew he loved June as much as anyone has ever loved their spouse, EVER. That was hard; when she died, because I knew it killed him already. And then he died in actuality.

As for Frank, well, he was quite ill. Everything was shot all to heck. He couldn't see, had heart pain, stomach problems of a severe nature since he was only in his early sixties. So, he was really hurting. He could have lived longer, and had a better quality of life. But that was not the case, so I can't say I felt sorrow. I felt glad he was here. Just as I felt glad Johnny was here. But Johnny's end was much more painful in more ways, so I knew he didn't wish to go on at that point. He couldn't deal with illness without June. His devastation at her death must have been almost unthinkable.

It wasn't like with Elvis and Michael: they should not have died, and I went nutso both times. I mean, I really took those the hardest. They felt like family.

rjm

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:54 am

IIRC, the disease he was mis-diagnosed with was Shy-Drager syndrome.

Thank you so much for all contributions on this thread. And thank you Johnny for the great legacy you left behind for all of us to enjoy.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am

Was watching some the San Quentin show a few months ago, I listen to him quite a bit.