Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Peeled Onion Haircut For Elvis?" - January 1957

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:34 pm

While I was doing some internet research for the "282 Teddy Bears" topic I recently posted (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78825), I incidentally found other Elvis-related items. Here's some of them.

On Friday, January 4th., 1957, Elvis went to the Kennedy Veterans Hospital in Memphis to undertake his army pre-induction examination. This has been already covered here on FECC, in words and pictures, so I will not insist on the subject (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40538).

However, I would like to share with you some newspaper clippings from that era, where you can see how this was treated by some of the media.

All the following clippings are taken from "The Ottawa Citizen", all published only a few days after Elvis' army examination.

First of all, the news about the examination itself :

570109 37Z.JPG

Only three days later, they started making fun out of it ! They went as far as taking an Elvis picture, and manipulating it in order to see how Elvis would look like in army haircut :

570112 18 SAT.JPG

570112 10 SAT -.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "Peeled Onion Haircut For Elvis?" - January 1957

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 am

Thanks Mister Moon, that Peeled Onion Haircut phrase made me laugh and think of the Movie "Onionhead" that Andy Griffith made in 1958 with Walter Matthau, this movie is a so funny, and i have it in my collection of videos, along with another funny movie of his, "No Time For Sergeants" with Nick Adams :lol:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks a lot, Clay. I'm glad you liked the post.

I'm not into Andy Griffith - I will look for these movies.

Here's a link where you can get some of his recorded music :

http://unclegil.blogspot.com.es/2013/09 ... uitar.html

Just click on the compilation title.

Thanks again !

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 am

Elvis and Griffith met more than once during the early days.

On July 31st., 1955, they shared the stage, along with other artists, at Fort Homer W. Hesterly Armory, in Tampa, Florida. It was there that the photo that would be used on Elvis' first album was taken.

Here's some photos I've found of that day, two of them showing Griffith with Parker :

1955.jpg

Almost exactly one year later, on July 1st., 1956, they met again during Elvis' only appearance on The Steve Allen Show, at the infamous comedy sketch :

phpBB [video]

STEVE ALLEN AD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Nice thread! Is Andy Griffith still with us?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:40 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Nice thread! Is Andy Griffith still with us?

No, unfortunately he died last year on July 3rd at the age of 86.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Nice thread! Is Andy Griffith still with us?

No, unfortunately he died last year on July 3rd at the age of 86.

Ok, thanks, luckyjackson 1.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 am

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:57 am

JimmyCool wrote:Image

the new lex luthor for the upcoming Batman VS superman movie lol!.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks Mr Moon, I have never seen these photos before, you should give Andy a look and listen, he was not only one of the warmest nicest guys around in show biz, but the man could sing and pick at a good guitar, he really was one of the greats. Always would have liked to have him as a Dad, I'm glad his TV show "The Andy Griffith Show" is still on everyday on TV Land, I never get tired of watching him and Don Knotts.

ImageImage

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Clay wrote:Thanks Mr Moon, I have never seen these photos before, you should give Andy a look and listen, he was not only one of the warmest nicest guys around in show biz, but the man could sing and pick at a good guitar, he really was one of the greats. Always would have liked to have him as a Dad, I'm glad his TV show "The Andy Griffith Show" is still on everyday on TV Land, I never get tired of watching him and Don Knotts.

Thanks for your post, Clay.

I'm afraid Andy Griffith, like many other showbiz personalities that were popular in the USA decades ago, is a virtual unknown here in Europe. For better or worse, we have our own cast of personalities over here.

Well, at least this is my perception. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks again !

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Over here in Germany Andy was very popular in the eighties with his "Matlock" TV series. Loved it!

And I know at least one song from him (although I don't like it):

phpBB [video]

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Over here in Germany Andy was very popular in the eighties with his "Matlock" TV series. Loved it!

And I know at least one song from him (although I don't like it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFfxVDml1Y

Yes, "Mama Guitar" is another one of those rock and roll parodies that we were discussing in another thread a few days ago. He did this for Capitol in 1957.

This has reminded me of "A Face In The Crowd", Elia Kazan's 1957 film, starred by Griffith and which is said to have been inspired by Elvis' rise to stardom. I don't think it was a very popular film in its time, but nowadays it has reached cult status (whatever that is).

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:44 pm

Just for the sake of completism, here's another clipping I recently found about Elvis' Army pre-induction examination. It doesn't add much, but it's nice to have it, I think.

It's also a good excuse to revive this thread.

570109.JPG

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for another great post Mr Moon :smt006

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for another great post Mister Moon :smt006

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:48 am

jacob wrote:Thanks for another great post Mister Moon :smt006

Thanks, jacob. Glad you like it. :smt006

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks Mister Moon

Re: "Peeled Onion Haircut For Elvis?" - January 19571

Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am

keninlincs wrote:Thanks Mister Moon

+1

rjm

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:31 pm

You're welcome, Ken and Robin. :smt006

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Elvis and Griffith met more than once during the early days.

On July 31st., 1955, they shared the stage, along with other artists, at Fort Homer W. Hesterly Armory, in Tampa, Florida. It was there that the photo that would be used on Elvis' first album was taken.

Here's some photos I've found of that day, two of them showing Griffith with Parker :

1955.jpg

Almost exactly one year later, on July 1st., 1956, they met again during Elvis' only appearance on The Steve Allen Show, at the infamous comedy sketch :

phpBB [video]

STEVE ALLEN AD.jpg

Nice info and stories, thanks. Does anyone know what the napkins mean and what they are used for in the first two pictures?

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Clay wrote:Thanks Mr Moon, I have never seen these photos before, you should give Andy a look and listen, he was not only one of the warmest nicest guys around in show biz, but the man could sing and pick at a good guitar, he really was one of the greats. Always would have liked to have him as a Dad, I'm glad his TV show "The Andy Griffith Show" is still on everyday on TV Land, I never get tired of watching him and Don Knotts.

Thanks for your post, Clay.

I'm afraid Andy Griffith, like many other showbiz personalities that were popular in the USA decades ago, is a virtual unknown here in Europe. For better or worse, we have our own cast of personalities over here.

Well, at least this is my perception. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks again !

In Finland Andy Griffith is quite welknown thanks to the tv-series Matlock which I think is still shown on tv over here. They keep airing it over and over again.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:37 pm

The Steve Allen clip is also interesting because it's early footage showing one of Elvis's techniques for how he would beat on his guitar on his records...would be a good addition on the thread about that. It's real easy to hear in this clip also. Elvis and his impeccable rhythm, he definitely had his own beat.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Elvis was good but he was forced to act in the most ridiculous performance in his career, to quote him directly.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Tim C wrote:The Steve Allen clip is also interesting because it's early footage showing one of Elvis's techniques for how he would beat on his guitar on his records...would be a good addition on the thread about that. It's real easy to hear in this clip also. Elvis and his impeccable rhythm, he definitely had his own beat.

Good spot, Tim. I never thought about this before.

Elvis would repeat the same techniques the following day while recording "Don't Be Cruel".

However, if you look and listen closely, I don't think Elvis' guitar-slapping can be heard here. There are spots where he's not slapping and you can hear the sound just the same, so maybe it was one of the guys in the house band playing like that.

Thanks for your post.