Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Just tonight, after a tiring day, I relaxed with an old film remastred for HD streaming. I love how the process brings you back in time.

"Guess Who's Coming To Dinner." Hepburn, Tracy, Poitier (sp?).

Corny, now, but actually very sweet as Tracy professes his deep love for Hepburn at the end of his final film. I'm generally not into "mush," but I do have my moments. They so adored one another. I don't know if he even lived to the full completion of the picture.

Quality lasts. And HD(or /Blu-Ray) is awesome!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm not bragging, but I've seen One Direction: This Is Us. A couple of Elvis references thrown in as the start of the film looks at the members early years. Harry Styles dressed as Elvis for a performance when he was a kid. They also played at MSG and in the dressing rooms, the image of Elvis, arms and cape outstretched is clearly visible.

To top this off, I've been told I'm taking my niece, her friend and my little girl to their concert at Wembley Arena next year. Yay! :shock:

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Started watching that Liberace movie on monday at a sneak preview in a local theatre starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. Although Douglas gave a good performance me and my buddy left after about halfway. You can tell it's a television movie and, even worse: a Soderbergh vehicle. smt181

Needlessly to say I didn't like it.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:48 pm

World War Z

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Rob wrote:World War Z

Any opinion, Rob? Is it recommended or not?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 pm

It's worth going to see. Not the best flick I've seen this year, but pretty enjoyable. I'm not into the whole zombie thing, but I made an exception for this.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Rob wrote:It's worth going to see. Not the best flick I've seen this year, but pretty enjoyable. I'm not into the whole zombie thing, but I made an exception for this.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

I liked it too and some of it was filmed in glasgow,win win for me !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Screen shots from the movie that where shot in glasgow !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:39 am

Fruitvale Station. In the theater.

And NOT as an "issue" picture, either, but to appreciate your own life in ways you may have missed. In other words, you take a day out of your life, and if someone filmed it, flaws and all, what would people think of you?

Yes, it was his last day. But what's more important is that the film did not want to limit itself. It encourages you to look at your own life, and perhaps to appreciate it more than you did, going in to the theater. It's always the little things that matter most, you know? Wonderful writing and direction. See it!

Also saw The Butler, but aside from some magnificent acting (not by Oprah), it's much too Gumpian. Too neat, too tidy. Wait till it comes to your screen at home.

And more documentaries on Amazon Instant Video than I can recall! Most of them excellent. So much good documentary work out there! The last one was on the history of the Linotype machine. You mourn for a machine. Really.

rjm

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 am

Went to see We're the Millers today, funniest movie of the year so far.a must see !!!

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:04 am

David Lynch's "Lost Highway" for at least the seventh time... still don't get it... :P

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 am

Snake Eyes wrote:I'm not bragging, but I've seen One Direction: This Is Us. A couple of Elvis references thrown in as the start of the film looks at the members early years. Harry Styles dressed as Elvis for a performance when he was a kid. They also played at MSG and in the dressing rooms, the image of Elvis, arms and cape outstretched is clearly visible.

To top this off, I've been told I'm taking my niece, her friend and my little girl to their concert at Wembley Arena next year. Yay! :shock:

While I confess I wouldn't pay money to see the 1D film, I am rather interested in viewing it at some point. The director, Morgan Spurlock, is a very interesting choice for such a mainstream project considering his previous films are a mix of the quirky and (in some cases) provocative. Of course, the directors of Elvis on Tour were also an interesting choice and yet they failed to make the film the great revealing documentary that it could have been.

Reviews suggest that Spurlock has made what is ultimately a bland, commercial film. My guess is he had a thankless task; unless he was able to find and reveal some dark side to 1D this was always going to be a straightforward film for the fans. The problem is that there appears not to be a particularly dark side to the group, and they seem to handle fame and fans very well. Their behaviour isn't erratic in the way that Justin Bieber's has been in recent months, for example. They simply seem like decent lads making music aimed at their fans and doing it rather well. What do you do when you're an edgy filmmaker and have a documentary to make about nice guys making nice music and dealing with fame and fans in a nice way?

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:24 am

How awful! ;) We only want films about doomed stars! Death's Dark Lonely Highway!

What's WRONG with that filmmaker? !

LOL!!!!!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 am

rjm wrote:How awful! ;) We only want films about doomed stars! Death's Dark Lonely Highway!

LOL!!!!!

rjm

No, every film centres around problems or conflicts, even comedies. Films about nice people doing nice things that they enjoy aren't exactly riveting!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 am

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:How awful! ;) We only want films about doomed stars! Death's Dark Lonely Highway!

LOL!!!!!

rjm

No, every film centres around problems or conflicts, even comedies. Films about nice people doing nice things that they enjoy aren't exactly riveting!

Well, part-ways. You must have something to overcome.

I guess "It's A Wonderful Life" is dark, for much of the film, but the ending is pure joy! Even the people who became "bad" under Potter were super-nice with George in the world.

I cry happy tears every year!

Oh, uh . . .

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not dark at all. Love it. ;)

rjm

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:29 am

I"m sorry but I might be one of the very few people that has issues with "It's A Wonderful Life". Yes, I enjoy the ending of the film but the rest of it is simply boring to me.

Might try to watch Paul Thomas Anderson's new movie "The Master" within the next couple of days.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:34 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:I"m sorry but I might be one of the very few people that has issues with "It's A Wonderful Life". Yes, I enjoy the ending of the film but the rest of it is simply boring to me.

<snip>

:o :shock:

rjm
P.S. -- I know it by heart! Every word, gesture, tone of voice . . . I can't even imagine . . . that film is like . . . my foot. I couldn't get around without it.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:44 am

rjm wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I"m sorry but I might be one of the very few people that has issues with "It's A Wonderful Life". Yes, I enjoy the ending of the film but the rest of it is simply boring to me.

<snip>

:o :shock:

rjm
P.S. -- I know it by heart! Every word, gesture, tone of voice . . . I can't even imagine . . . that film is like . . . my foot. I couldn't get around without it.

That's fine with me and I can fully understand this. I know movies like "The Wizard Of Oz" (the original!) and "The Time Machine" by the heart (at least in german!). That said the next movies I'm going to watch again are "Mullholland Drive" and "Inland Empire"... :D

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

I'm watching "These Amazing Shadows" about the Library of Congress' film registry and restoration program.

Very emotional in ways I never expected. A great and important documentary.

rjm

Last edited by rjm on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Insidious: Chapter 2 not as good as the first one ,but i still enjoyed it !!!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:05 am

Iron man I blu ray at home.
Also checked out III in the cinema prior so part II still to go....

Mandatory stuff!

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:41 pm

rocknroller wrote:Insidious: Chapter 2 not as good as the first one ,but i still enjoyed it !!!
just
Watched it tonight,some genuine scares

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:38 am

Yeah, Rob!!! Go for it!!! :D

After several attempts of watching "The Master" I gave up as I wasn't too much into another alcoholics-drama after watching "Flight". Then I started watching "Smashed" starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul... :?

I thought "3096 Days" (about the Natascha Kampusch abduction) was quite well done (it was actually one of the very few books I ever read).

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 am

Even as a gay man, I rarely have high hopes for American queer films. All too often they are slapped together with a poor script, amateurish acting, zero budget and direction of the level of a first year film student - with a few naked bodies thrown in to try and sell it to punters hoping for something better. I have to confess, however, that I was totally blown away by the stunning White Frog (2012). My hopes weren't particularly high considering it stars actors best known for their roles in Glee, Twilight and Teen Wolf, but this is truly a lovely film with its heart in the right place. it tells the story of a young teenager with aspergers syndrome whose beloved brother dies in a freak accident. Over the coming months the boy learns about the secret life his brother was forced to keep from him and his family. No-one expects huge budgets and wonderful technical skill in an independent movie, that's not what they are about. But they can tackle difficult issues (in this case mental health, race and sexuality) and have the freedom to do so without the studio breathing down their neck making sure it is commercial enough or ticking enough boxes to win an Oscar. One of the few films which has a gay-theme (in part) that does not alienate for a moment a straight audience. Well worth seeking out.