Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Elvis Country"/"Love Letters From Elvis" CDs

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:24 pm

I saw these in Wal-Mart yesterday and hurried and snatched them - but I haven't listened yet. Even though I have both CDs in their "single" CD versions, what can I expect from this "two-fer"???

(Tried to find the Stax 3-CD box set but - it wasn't there at all - I only located the 1-CD version. :( :wtf: :cry: :? )

Re: "Elvis Country"/"Love Letters From Elvis" CDs

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Is this the "Legacy" edition of "Elvis Country" ?

If it is, it's a neat package and the sonic quality is about the best your gonna get with these recordings.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 pm

minkahed wrote:Is this the "Legacy" edition of "Elvis Country" ?

If it is, it's a neat package and the sonic quality is about the best your gonna get with these recordings.

It is the "Legacy" edition release. :D

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I saw these in Wal-Mart yesterday and hurried and snatched them - but I haven't listened yet. Even though I have both CDs in their "single" CD versions, what can I expect from this "two-fer"???

Well, CD 2 - Track 11 is a song for the ages.

As I wrote elsewhere when this Legacy release came out in 2011:

It is what it is, the alpha and the omega of Presley's 1971 studio LPs. Here's a grab of that image:

It's disappointing to note the jam on Love Letters From Elvis -- one of the only highlights on the album -- displayed as: "Got My Mojo Working / Keep Your Hands Off Of It."

The original 1971 release was also incorrect, reading "Got My Mojo Working." The correct credit is: "Got My Mojo Working / Hands Off." This dynamic 1970 studio jam is 100% based on Elvis' teenaged memory of two classic singles:

Got My Mojo Working (Chess 1652, March 16, 1957) - MUDDY WATERS
Recorded in Chicago, December 1, 1956
Muddy Waters (v), James Cotton (har), Otis Spann (pno), Jimmy Rogers (gtr), Willie Dixon (bs), Francis Clay (dms)

Hands Off (Vee-Jay 155, October 22, 1955) - JAY MCSHANN'S ORCHESTRA, VOCALIST PRISCILLA BOWMAN
Recorded in Chicago on September 4, 1955
Priscilla Bowman (v), Jay McShann (pno), Orville "Piggy" Minor (trp), Oscar "Fats" Dennis (sax), Eugene "Jeep" Griddline (gtr), Oscar "Lucky" Wesley (bs), Al Duncan (dms)

---

Listen for yourself!

phpBB [video]

Muddy Waters, "Got My Mojo Working" (Chess 1652, March 16, 1957)

phpBB [video]

Jay McShann's Orchestra, "Hands Off" (Vee-Jay 155, October 22, 1955)
Lead vocalist: Priscilla Bowman.
McShann's single made Billboard U.S. R&B #1 on December 17.

Bonus Track!
Ann Cole, the blazing sInger who opened Muddy Waters' shows in 1956, issued her version around the same time as Waters' Chess single. In fact, her concert performances of "Got My Mo-jo Working" may have "inspired" Waters. Looking back she may have been ripped off. Her rendition is great, really great:

phpBB [video]

Ann Cole with the Suburbans, "Got My Mo-jo Working," (Baton 237, March 30, 1957)
What a vocal!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Does this release have the annoying snippet in between songs for Elvis Country ?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Does this release have the annoying snippet in between songs for Elvis Country ?

That's not annoying... that's classic... the album wouldn't be the same without it. :smt023

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Does this release have the annoying snippet in between songs for Elvis Country ?

Of course. Legacy CDs honor the original LP release. The edit pieces of "I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago" are pretty cool, actually. Elvis Country is the only overt concept album of Presley's career, and it's darn good.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

That's not annoying... that's classic... the album wouldn't be the same without it. :smt023

That's just me. I made a Elvis Country CD-R containing the masters (FLAC ripped from the TCM box) without the snippets...also added bonus tracks from those sessions to fill up the CD. I was never too crazy about the snippets.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 pm

hi would you have a scan of the cover

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 pm

elvis65 wrote:hi would you have a scan of the cover

I don't but you can find the CD on Amazon. There's nothing new about the covers, to be honest, except the fact that there's a "LEGACY RELEASE" sticker on the front. The back cover, though, is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 pm

I've had to sit out buying the Complete Masters, got this 2fer as well. And I find the snippets annoying as well.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am

TINML wrote: And I find the snippets annoying as well.

I NEVER play the original album anymore....just a CDR without the snippet between the song.
This CDR was the first I made back in 1998 when I got my first Cd-Writer :D

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 pm

The "snippets" are actually part of the entire "I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago" (which is actually fairly short, IIRC) so...those snippets don't bother me. I find the CD interesting because of that and the fact that there's no "space" between the tracks like you would find on any other CDs.

I wonder what Elvis's thoughts were when it was originally released?

(And, I still think that, "Got My Mojo Working / Hands Off," would have been cool to either open the early 1970s shows with or either put it in a medley-type setting with, "See See Rider", since both songs carry the same horn arrangements).

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:30 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

That's just me. I made a Elvis Country CD-R containing the masters (FLAC ripped from the TCM box) without the snippets...also added bonus tracks from those sessions to fill up the CD. I was never too crazy about the snippets.

I did this numerous times in the past 20+ years, starting in 1986 to record the vinyl album on cassette, using the rec level to get rid of the snippets.
Later on I edited them out from the 90's CD with my sound editing program etc.
Hard work, but such fun every time! :D

I don't get why some unedited masters had been used on the TCM set but that's another discussion.

@Tony Trout: Try to avoid to read the liner notes... :roll: