Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:17 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: You are simply comparing it to other Elvis shows of the year and finding it not all that much worse. That doesn't make this show better, it simply makes us realise how little we expect from a 1976 Elvis concert.

Of course people do that since this was a concert that supposedly was far worse than any other show.

Nobody says that this is Elvis at the top of the game.

It's nothing to do with whether Elvis is at the top of his game, or expected to be. Compared to any other artist's level of concert performance this is an unmitigated disaster - only in the Elvis world, where we are used to such performances, would it be viewed as anything less.

There has been alot of talk about the fans allowing this, and not demanding more of Elvis.

Well apparenly 2/3 of the audience wasn't buying it, and yet he still continued.

How would you stop it? Take a modern artist for example, if you went to their show and you didn't like it, what would you do, to make the artist aware
that you were displeased with them, and wanted a better show?

It is all relative and subjective. Apparently 1/3 of this crowd like the show.
There are artists that I wouldn't like even at the top of thier game. It's art. It's a show.
Hearing the soundboard is only half the picture.
Perhaps you had to be there in Elvis' presence to appeciate it.

I could be at a neil young show, at the top of his game, and it would be a disaster to me.

I'm not talking about viewing the show in 1976, I'm talking about viewing the show now (or, rather, hearing it). We can hear the vocals quite well - Elvis was stoned and singing very badly. Appearing on stage and feeling a presence isn't enough when it comes to a show - he is also required to perform. And this performance is a disaster.

I bet the show looked and sounded better in person. First there is the adrenalin of seeing Elvis live. Then, most of the audience is too far away from him to see how really bad he may have looked. Next the sound is loud enough to hide many of the blemishes. If you were any kind of Elvis fan, you knew he was fat from all the tabloid pictures that had been plastered everywhere for the last year and you had probably heard of some lack luster shows. When I saw him in April of 76, I figured he'd be fat and I knew he might put on a bad show but I was pleasantly surprised with his performance. Either way I was beyond excited to see him. And for those who never got to see him in person, he put out a charisma and aura that transcended his performance. It's really hard to describe.

I recently saw a show that I thought sounded really good until I saw it posted on you tube and it wasn't as good as I had perceived it live.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:32 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
epf wrote:
Alexander wrote:I just downloaded this concert from a torrent site.

:smt018

Bootleggers are struggling these days. It's very important that we continue to support them, and the only way to do that is to pay for their releases. I have played the Houston CD twice. I'm mighty glad it was released, and that we can now conclude that it was a very poor show but not as bad as expected. Thanks, Audionics.

Are you implying that you actually expected worse? How?

Of course. This was a very poor show and Elvis was not acting like a King at all. Correct. But he rarely did during the summer of 1976, and we've already heard shows that are similar to this one. This one is the worst 1976 I have heard. Right. But it's not MUCH worse and is therefore NOT the gigantic mega-disaster we were expecting. Elvis spoke coherently, he remembered the words to all songs, sang the usual songs, didn't leave early, the crowd didn't boo him off the stage, people didn't throw bottles on him, he didn't say anything weird or embarassing. It was just a poor show. Not shocking at all. You guys need to get your stuff together and stop exaggarating. You're acting like a bunch of innocent choir boys! :smt019

well said Keith Richards Jnr.... and 'hello' BIGBIRD :)

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 am

BigBird wrote:
stevelecher wrote:I'm an ass "clow" because I wouldn't call him coherent or say the show was only a little worse than others. The fact that this show is worse than other really bad shows says it all. He deserved some boos and he might have been awakened to how unacceptable he was if he had gotten some.

I dont know if you are an ass clown or not, but the show is BY FAR NOT as bad as it was always told. I heard it for decades that ppl stated that elvis was so out of it, that he did not even know in what city he was, that he did not know whether he was even on stage or not.

Now, since those aformentioned statements are not the truth, everybody can tell that by listing to the concert, would you at least admit that those statements are lies?

if you do, which you must, cause logic demands it, than you also must admit that the show was not as bad as it was always told to us, because it was told to us that elvis did not even know that he was realy on stage etc.

Dont get me wrong, i find this by far the worst show I ever heard from Elvis, but the truth is the truth and lies are lies and we (the fans) have been lied to. Stuff was made up out of thin air.
It is wrong to bear false witness and make up stuff just to push ones agenda, whatever that agenda might be and now since we all have the evidence, we shoul be man enough to declare that the show is not as bad as it was told to us and that is not a rose colored view,not is it an excuse in any shape or form, it the truth and nothing but the truth!

I think it is exactly as bad as we were told it was, and clearly worse than any other Elvis-shows I've heard. For a tremendous singer as Elvis to sing out of tune almost as often as in-tune, is no less than tragic. You will probably disagree with me on my last statement, well, then we have different ears.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:52 am

If you really want the impact of how terrible this concert was then first listen to "Hot August Night" and then straight after put on "Houston , We Have A Problem"
. 7 years is not a long time and to see what was happening by that time is very sad.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 am

JoshMorgan wrote:If you really want the impact of how terrible this concert was then first listen to "Hot August Night" and then straight after put on "Houston , We Have A Problem"
. 7 years is not a long time and to see what was happening by that time is very sad.

But it's not that bad if you listen to New Haven first and then go right to Houston. :lol:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 am

stevelecher wrote:
JoshMorgan wrote:If you really want the impact of how terrible this concert was then first listen to "Hot August Night" and then straight after put on "Houston , We Have A Problem"

But it's not that bad if you listen to New Haven first and then go right to Houston. :lol:

Can't argue with that! ;)

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am

JoshMorgan wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

Can't argue with that! ;)

Don't agree at all.
Listen back to back to Houston and New Haven and you'll notice that New Haven actually is pretty solid compared to Houston.
Clear speech and some vocal highlights.

We know that shows like New haven represent Elvis in a pretty poor way, a really low standard even for 1976.
That tells something about what happened in Houston.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 pm

eligain wrote:I bet the show looked and sounded better in person. First there is the adrenalin of seeing Elvis live. Then, most of the audience is too far away from him to see how really bad he may have looked. Next the sound is loud enough to hide many of the blemishes. If you were any kind of Elvis fan, you knew he was fat from all the tabloid pictures that had been plastered everywhere for the last year and you had probably heard of some lack luster shows. When I saw him in April of 76, I figured he'd be fat and I knew he might put on a bad show but I was pleasantly surprised with his performance. Either way I was beyond excited to see him. And for those who never got to see him in person, he put out a charisma and aura that transcended his performance. It's really hard to describe.

I recently saw a show that I thought sounded really good until I saw it posted on you tube and it wasn't as good as I had perceived it live.

I think many of us have had that experience in recent times, thanks to YouTube. I know that I've been to see bands and come away raving, then got home and watched clips online and realised that the lead singer was in fact out of tune for some of the songs. They were still great shows though, and even with the out of tune vocals there was never any suggestion that the band weren't giving their all.

But with Elvis in Houston, you only have to listen to the screams from the women near the start of the show to realise that what was going on there was bordering on actual hysteria. I think their expectations were such that he genuinely could have walked out on stage and said nothing for 80 minutes, and the reaction from those people - who were, after all, the closest to the microphones - would have been near enough identical. That is not the same though, as seeing a band with a singer who can't carry a tune, but who is giving 100% in order to send the audience home in ecstacy. Elvis was an embarrassment that day, and the fact that thousands of people were more than happy to just be in his presence doesn't change that fact.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 pm

20,000 views and counting...

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Robert wrote:Listen back to back to Houston and New Haven and you'll notice that New Haven actually is pretty solid compared to Houston.

That in itself is quite sad.

Those are two shows I couldn't possibly listen to back to back.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I listened to the houston show and then i listened to the june 19 1977 show.. and heck i loved the june 19 show

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

You just seem like a June 19th kind of guy to me, Johnny.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Someone talked about watching a YouTube clip of a gig they'd been to and realising the singer was off tune. That's not always the reality, tuning gets distorted on YouTube unless it is a pro recording if it is too loud for the recording device.

Back to this gig, it is a complete disaster, come on! Anyone who thinks otherwise really has no respect for what Elvis really was all about. Put it this way, Elvis at any reasonable time in his life, upon hearing this back, would have been mortified. It is a disaster and much worse than ANY other gig available to our ears.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:04 pm

YDKM wrote:
epf wrote:
Alexander wrote:I just downloaded this concert from a torrent site.

:smt018

Bootleggers are struggling these days. It's very important that we continue to support them, and the only way to do that is to pay for their releases. I have played the Houston CD twice. I'm mighty glad it was released, and that we can now conclude that it was a very poor show but not as bad as expected. Thanks, Audionics.

Are you implying that you actually expected worse? How?

Of course. This was a very poor show and Elvis was not acting like a King at all. Correct. But he rarely did during the summer of 1976, and we've already heard shows that are similar to this one. This one is the worst 1976 I have heard. Right. But it's not MUCH worse and is therefore NOT the gigantic mega-disaster we were expecting. Elvis spoke coherently, he remembered the words to all songs, sang the usual songs, didn't leave early, the crowd didn't boo him off the stage, people didn't throw bottles on him, he didn't say anything weird or embarassing. It was just a poor show. Not shocking at all. You guys need to get your stuff together and stop exaggarating. You're acting like a bunch of innocent choir boys! :smt019

well said Keith Richards Jnr.... and 'hello' BIGBIRD :)

I am happy to repeat my opinion once again (since everyone seems to be doing just that): it is a bloody shocking embarrassment of a show and for fans who attended this show it was a complete rip off. Without exaggeration I find this soundboard disgusting, revealing and embarrassing.

Robert wrote: Listen back to back to Houston and New Haven and you'll notice that New Haven actually is pretty solid compared to Houston.
Clear speech and some vocal highlights.

We know that shows like New haven represent Elvis in a pretty poor way, a really low standard even for 1976.
That tells something about what happened in Houston.

I was very upset when New Haven came out but compared to Houston this concert is actually quite strong. Some 35 years later we must in all honesty conclude that standards for an Elvis show were pretty low in 1976 and 1977 - compared to previous years for sure but also compared to contemporary standards in the music business. Most reviewers were right: an Elvis show anno 1976 in general was an 'amateurish mess', with few exceptions. We knew the final years were not a pretty story but let's not make it prettier than it is.
Last edited by Alexander on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Alexander wrote:I find this soundboard disgusting, revealing and embarrassing.

Other than that, what do you think about it?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:14 pm

The band is too loud.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:The band is too loud.

i cannot hear himself. :mrgreen:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 pm

stedders wrote:Someone talked about watching a YouTube clip of a gig they'd been to and realising the singer was off tune. That's not always the reality, tuning gets distorted on YouTube unless it is a pro recording if it is too loud for the recording device.

That was me, and although I understand what you're saying you can believe me when I say the singer was out of tune. Bum notes right, left, and centre.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: You are simply comparing it to other Elvis shows of the year and finding it not all that much worse. That doesn't make this show better, it simply makes us realise how little we expect from a 1976 Elvis concert.

Of course people do that since this was a concert that supposedly was far worse than any other show.

It's nothing to do with whether Elvis is at the top of his game, or expected to be. Compared to any other artist's level of concert performance this is an unmitigated disaster - only in the Elvis world, where we are used to such performances, would it be viewed as anything less.

People like you all twist the words....like we think this is a great concert, that this is as good as the '70s Elvis, that this show is better than concerts of other artists etc. WHY DO YOU DO IT? Do you have some kind of a fetish? Nobody think this is a great concert, nobody think this is Elvis at his best!!! THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT IF THIS SHOW WAS AS BAD AS THE RUMOURS SAID!

All the time people like you are condescending towards others that try to discuss Elvis' last years. GROW UP!

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Xaykev wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

People like you all twist the words....like we think this is a great concert, that this is as good as the '70s Elvis, that this show is better than concerts of other artists etc. WHY DO YOU DO IT? Do you have some kind of a fetish? Nobody think this is a great concert, nobody think this is Elvis at his best!!! THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT IF THIS SHOW WAS AS BAD AS THE RUMOURS SAID!

All the time people like you are condescending towards others that try to discuss Elvis' last years. GROW UP!

I twisted no words. In order to understand how good or bad the concert is, you need to compare it to concerts by other artists, not compare it to Elvis's other concerts of the period. If you viewed the above comments as condescending, then that's your problem. They were simply honest.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:26 pm

jak wrote:Youre all like a dog spinning in a circle trying to catch his tail.All the excitement yet it gets him nowhere.Plus it ceases to be interesting at some point.I can sum it up easily.It was a bad show among many bad shows.That's it.Just another bad show on the road a long time ago.How it rates on the crap meter makes no difference anymore.Ancient history.Move along,nothing to see here.

I agree.Turned about worse then I thought!

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Im gonna listen to new haven '76 i never gave it a full spin i only listened to i guess 1 track of that whole show.. I let you know how it was
but thats just me ofcoarse.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 pm

jak wrote:Youre all like a dog spinning in a circle trying to catch his tail.All the excitement yet it gets him nowhere.Plus it ceases to be interesting at some point.I can sum it up easily.It was a bad show among many bad shows.That's it.Just another bad show on the road a long time ago.How it rates on the crap meter makes no difference anymore.Ancient history.Move along,nothing to see here.

Balderdash!

The whole point of this discussion is that most here agree this was not "Just another bad show on the road" -- it was far worse than that, and in fact a dividing line between all that had come before, and all that was to follow.

This was the moment the artist, his associates, and his management all needed to realize major changes had to be made ... NOW.

Nothing of substance was done, and fifty weeks later, Elvis died.

Why this topic persists is the inability to accept the reality of Saturday, August 28, 1976 in Houston, Texas, before 17,000 fans.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:26 pm

I tend to agree. Maybe it's time to give this topic a rest now. It was fun for a very long time, though.

I urge everyone to come over to the "City of Lakes '76" topic instead. I'm trying to start a hype over there. Could be another interesting topic, but unfortunately the CD is so rare that not even Rob owns it. But it's okay to talk about the FTD release too. As long as it's Elvis in Minnesota '76 it's all good.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Could be another interesting topic, but unfortunately the CD is so rare that not even Rob owns it.

Oh, I could still get it if I wanted it.