Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Gladys funeral.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:27 am

sheila wrote:Here's two I found that's His mother in coffin

Wasn't Elvis also buried in a casket almost exactly like the one Gladys was? I believe they looked and looked and finally found one in Oklahoma and flew it in overnight.

Too bad that's not a colorized photo, that would give us morbid folk a clearer look at what Elvis's casket looked like since the picture of it was also in black and white.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:12 pm

have a question about the photo of Glady's coffin at the cemetary.

why are there 2 coffins in that photo?

If you look at Gladys' coffin with the flowers on it, to the right, there is another coffin.

can someone explain please because i am confused.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:39 am

bripet56 wrote:Here's a bigger version of the photo which we debated some time ago.
Forrest Hill Cemetary-bripet56.jpg
Back then I was sure the photo was from 1960 but take a look at the floral arrangements in the back of the photo. Would there be so many large arrangements in 1960?
Also the kid in the middle of the photo wearing nothing above his waist indicates summertime.
Elvis' hair and sideburns were actually pretty long by August 1958 as can be seen in this photo which I have reversed just to get the same angle as in the above photo.
580814-Memphis-05-bripet56.jpg
I'd say the photo is from August 1958.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Hey folks I know this thread is over 2 years old but I just saw this. I don't see that there was a definitive answer by anyone given here yet as to exact date or who is with Elvis so I just have my own input.
I did a search to see if this has (since two years ago) been discussed further on this forum somewhere with an answer given but I only found one other thread similar with no conclusion. If it's already been discussed and answered I apologize.

I agree with everyone leaning towards August of 1958. And I have no way of proving this but I believe that's Red West next to Elvis, not his cousin.
I remember reading years ago that Reds father passed away the same time as Gladys. The day before or the day after and that Elvis attended his father's funeral. Elvis then wanted to go visit his mothers grave site again that same day of Reds father's funeral. This would have to be a picture from that moment.
I don't have any evidence that is true I'm only going off the other clues given and also other info I've read in the past. This would be my best guess. Elvis with Red visiting Gladys gravesite the day of his father's funeral, maybe August 16th or 17th.

Again if this is wrong and has already been discussed and wrapped up elsewhere on the forum my apologies folks.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 am

elvisbot wrote:have a question about the photo of Glady's coffin at the cemetary.

why are there 2 coffins in that photo?

If you look at Gladys' coffin with the flowers on it, to the right, there is another coffin.

can someone explain please because i am confused.

The container at the far right is the top piece of the vault that would enclose the casket.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:42 am

1Sixstring wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Here's a bigger version of the photo which we debated some time ago.

Back then I was sure the photo was from 1960 but take a look at the floral arrangements in the back of the photo. Would there be so many large arrangements in 1960?
Also the kid in the middle of the photo wearing nothing above his waist indicates summertime.
Elvis' hair and sideburns were actually pretty long by August 1958 as can be seen in this photo which I have reversed just to get the same angle as in the above photo.

Sincerely
Brian

Hey folks I know this thread is over 2 years old but I just saw this. I don't see that there was a definitive answer by anyone given here yet as to exact date or who is with Elvis so I just have my own input.
I did a search to see if this has (since two years ago) been discussed further on this forum somewhere with an answer given but I only found one other thread similar with no conclusion. If it's already been discussed and answered I apologize.

I agree with everyone leaning towards August of 1958. And I have no way of proving this but I believe that's Red West next to Elvis, not his cousin.
I remember reading years ago that Reds father passed away the same time as Gladys. The day before or the day after and that Elvis attended his father's funeral. Elvis then wanted to go visit his mothers grave site again that same day of Reds father's funeral. This would have to be a picture from that moment.
I don't have any evidence that is true I'm only going off the other clues given and also other info I've read in the past. This would be my best guess. Elvis with Red visiting Gladys gravesite the day of his father's funeral, maybe August 16th or 17th.

Again if this is wrong and has already been discussed and wrapped up elsewhere on the forum my apologies folks.

Great analysis, although there are some issues to note and discuss.

Dates
Guralnick confirms (Last Train To Memphis, Elvis: Day By Day):
- Red West's father died on 8-15 (Fri), and his funeral was held on 8-16 (Sat)
- Elvis attended Mr. West's viewing and funeral on 8-16 (Sat), and then an afternoon visit after to his mom's grave site

Guy with Elvis
- Red West was still in the Marine Corp, and took an emergency leave on 8-15 (Fri), his haircut would not be long (nor would it be dark)
- Gene Smith's 1992 bio (His Man Friday) is apparently where the image first appeared, so the man to Elvis' right seems more likely to be "Junior" Smith

So the shot is quite likely of Elvis and cousin "Junior" Smith at Gladys' Memphis graveside on Saturday, August 16, 1958.

Quite an ironic date, methinks.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
1Sixstring wrote:

Sincerely
Brian

Great analysis, although there are some issues to note and discuss.

Dates
Guralnick confirms (Last Train To Memphis, Elvis: Day By Day):
- Red West's father died on 8-15 (Fri), and his funeral was held on 8-16 (Sat)
- Elvis attended Mr. West's viewing and funeral on 8-16 (Sat), and then an afternoon visit after to his mom's grave site

Guy with Elvis
- Red West was still in the Marine Corp, and took an emergency leave on 8-15 (Fri), his haircut would not be long (nor would it be dark)
- Gene Smith's 1992 bio (His Man Friday) is apparently where the image first appeared, so the man to Elvis' right seems more likely to be "Junior" Smith

So the shot is quite likely of Elvis and cousin "Junior" Smith at Gladys' Memphis graveside on Saturday, August 16, 1958.

Quite an ironic date, methinks.

Well given the fact that I don't have a picture of Red to compare from a back head shot, and also as you mention your observation is a good one about the hair seeming a little long for a guy on leave from Marines, both good enough reason for me to have to take Red out of the mix.

Red seemed to me at first though best guess considering the loss they have both experienced a day apart from each other, plus knowing they were together 1 of those 2 days. So other than Red, Junior would be next best guess.
And I can't think of any other guy that would be, at least from what we can tell from this angle.
So you may be correct Doc.

I could have swore the way I read it in a long time back was Elvis wanted to go back to Gladys grave site after Mr West funeral. Which makes my brain want to say this has to be Red, but I understand that doesn't mean someone else like his cousin couldn't have went with him.

Oh and I agree about the date. Absolutely I always thought the same thing