Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Susan Boyle to duet with elvis

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 am

:facep: According to news reports ( the sun newspaper) Susan Boyle was given permission to duet with elvis on oh come all ye faithful. For her new Christmas album due out in November .apparently she was given special permission from pricilla presley. Not sure what it has to do with her though.

Re: Susan Boyle to duet with elvis

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:44 am

Why do people keep coming up with these insane ideas! Sh*t with Susan Boyle!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 am

It Helps to keep Elvis' name alive, so what exactly does it hurt?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:59 am

promiseland wrote:It Helps to keep Elvis' name alive, so what exactly does it hurt?

I'm very passionate about Elvis' music, we don't need it ruined by fake duets! I think Elvis' music stands on it's own.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:54 pm

While I don't like the song choice, I've never liked Elvis' version of OCAYF, I think it will give Elvis exposure, as it'll be played on radio, and it will help promote the UK's favourite Elvis song album.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:02 pm

These "Duets" novelties are pretty much D-O-N-E , over used, over hyped and phased out gimmicks already.

Do I mind that Elvis' name is exposed? Well, not really, Elvis is always there, fishing around in our culture's conscious, but sometimes I think it hurts as well.

I mean, if You got the equipment and know how to work the board, you'd be amazed at what you could do with any isolated Elvis vocal against some new instrumentation, re-arranging, re-mixing, what have you ....

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm

It will be awful, but it will sell too, which is the reason why it's being allowed to happen. I've never understood the 'exposure' argument in respect of remixes and fake duets. You either get Elvis or you don't, and if you need him to be paired up with the likes of Celine Dion or Susan Boyle before you take notice, then you don't get him at all.

I wish the powers that be thought a little more about the legacy rather than the money, when sanctioning releases of this kind.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:40 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote: I think Elvis' music stands on it's own.

rockinrebel wrote:I wish the powers that be thought a little more about the legacy rather than the money, when sanctioning releases of this kind.

I agree with these thoughts.

Elvis' name and incredible talent were cheapened long enough while he was alive. These things only perpetuate the same tactics.

Very, very sad.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Im not a fan of fake duets either, but it keeps Elvis on the map for a those thinking there is nothing new from Elvis. Susan Boyle has a lot of fans all over the World and sell records in millions as her fans seems to actually buy her records and not download her Music illegal.This might give Elvis on another millionseller no 1 hit even if it is shared with Susan Boyle.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:11 pm

The thing about Susan Boyle is that she appeals to many people who would otherwise not buy records and also to people who buy her music as gifts for others, so a Christmas collaboration could be very big business.
If it is released it will be interesting to see what video is used. Maybe a hologram which would be pretty awesome. OCAYF is my personal fave none-fifties Elvis Christmas tune. Bring it on!!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:17 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
promiseland wrote:It Helps to keep Elvis' name alive, so what exactly does it hurt?

I'm very passionate about Elvis' music, we don't need it ruined by fake duets! I think Elvis' music stands on it's own.

Elvis' music does stand on its own and if you don't like a collaboration, you have the choice not to buy it. Besides, is a fake duet any more fake than a song whos instrumentation and backing vocals were overdubbed when originally released? In that case many Beatles tracks would qualify as being fake.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:19 pm

NOOOOOOO!!! EP, the King Of Music, "duetting" with a Britains Got Talent finalist...sorry I think this is every shade of wrong. What next? EP and Jedward doing "Kissin' Cousins"? Yeuk.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:37 pm

jungleroombear wrote:Besides, is a fake duet any more fake than a song whos instrumentation and backing vocals were overdubbed when originally released?

Yes it is. Elvis had a hand in the creative process back then, and he knew how he wanted his records to sound. Someone overdubbing new vocals many years later when the original artist is deceased is a completely different matter.

Elvis had soul, Susan Boyle doesn't and this will be apparent when the duet is released.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Besides, is a fake duet any more fake than a song whos instrumentation and backing vocals were overdubbed when originally released?

Yes it is. Elvis had a hand in the creative process back then, and he knew how he wanted his records to sound. Someone overdubbing new vocals many years later when the original artist is deceased is a completely different matter.

Elvis had soul, Susan Boyle doesn't and this will be apparent when the duet is released.

Apparently Elvis' hand in the creative process was sometimes tied behind his back. It's been reported that he was critical of how different some of his music ended up sounding because of the various jiggery pokery that went on outside his vocals.

So "fake" as a reason not to do this project is a bit of a none-starter. Very little that happens in the glorious world of entertainment is real. Wether or not Elvis would approve of such a release 37 years after he died is open to speculation... that is unless you can whip-out that same crystal ball used to predict how much soul the record is going to have.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:08 pm

These reports have come from two newspapers (i use the word 'new's very lightly) Wipe your a** using these and more **** would come off the paper. :roll:

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Not much "soul" in Elvis' version of OCAYF. He sounds morose.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:20 pm

I've watched and enjoyed this performance many times and still get goosebumps every time, If they are are going to continue doing these duets, she is a great choice.

phpBB [video]

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:24 pm

If it ever does happen - watch out for jokes & snide comments on their physical appearances, instead of the music.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

What's disappointing is that they have apparently digitally altered Elvis' vocal so that he sings in harmony with Susan Boyle.

Why on earth did they think it was necessary to change Elvis' vocal? If Susan Boyle was a good singer, she could have been the one to make herself harmonise with Elvis and not the other way round.

And remember that this will only be 1 track in a whole album of duets and it might not even get a single release.

However, having said that I am pleased that this will give Elvis some sort of publicity and get him back on the radar again.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:33 pm

stevelecher wrote:Not much "soul" in Elvis' version of OCAYF. He sounds morose.

Of course it's not Elvis' greatest performance, which is a blessing really as I wouldn't like to see Miss Boyle let loose on a Presley classic. I'm aware of Elvis' disappointment with some of the final mixes of his songs, but I still think it's fair to say that he had a hand in the creative process when deciding how is records should sound. What is happening here is a little different.

Having said that, it has happened before and it will no doubt happen again as these are new ways of re-selling old recordings, and the music business is about selling, not creating great music. At least that's the impression I get these days. With regards to how the record will sound, I have heard Susan Boyle sing and I'm not a fan, and I'm obviously familiar with the Elvis material, and as I'm not a fan of these duets, I don't think I need a crystal ball to tell me that I'm not going to like it. My 'soul' comment was in relation to Elvis' vocals in general and not his performance of OCAYF.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 pm

I am actually all for this if it would mean getting Elvis another big hit record and some publicity.

However Susan Boyle seems so 2008 and the last time Sony tried a Christmas duet project it did nothing.

Is Susan Boyle popular in the U.K.?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Exactly, Brian. Elvis needs publicity and I hope this can be a good step for another hit.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Oh Come All Ye Faithful... duet by Elvis Presley and Susan Boyle... yeah, that'll be a hit... :shock:

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:47 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Oh Come All Ye Faithful... duet by Elvis Presley and Susan Boyle... yeah, that'll be a hit... :shock:

Doesn't every Elvis release in the U.K. at least hit the charts?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 pm

:facep: Oh no,no,no. What next? A duet with the Krankies?