Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 am

I think one of the great traits about Elvis, was the way his voice hit you at the beginning of the vocal in a song. It's one of those never ending testaments to his unbelievable voice. Obviously Jailhouse Rock is one of those songs that stick out, but there are countless others. Here's are some of my favorites, in no particular order. What are yours?

Jailhouse Rock
Pocket Full Of Rainbows
U.S Male
Hound Dog
Wearing That Loved On Look
Suspicious Minds
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Bridge Over Troubled Water-studio version
Soldier Boy
That's All Right

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:34 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Joe Car wrote:I think one of the great traits about Elvis, was the way his voice hit you at the beginning of the vocal in a song. It's one of those never ending testaments to his unbelievable voice. Obviously Jailhouse Rock is one of those songs that stick out, but there are countless others. Here's are some of my favorites, in no particular order. What are yours?

Jailhouse Rock
Pocket Full Of Rainbows
U.S Male
Hound Dog
Wearing That Loved On Look
Suspicious Minds
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Bridge Over Troubled Water-studio version
Soldier Boy
That's All Right


DonĀ“t and Any Way You Want do for me 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:41 am

Joe Car wrote:I think one of the great traits about Elvis, was the way his voice hit you at the beginning of the vocal in a song. It's one of those never ending testaments to his unbelievable voice.

The first several times I heard "Hurt" on the radio in 1976... WOW!!

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:08 am

Wearin' That Loved On Look bowled me over more than any other.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:10 am

Too many to note, but the opening bars of "My Baby Left Me" take some beating.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:32 am

One Night and I got Stung both grab your attention quickly. I'll second those mentions of Hound Dog and Hurt too.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:32 am

"Rags to Riches," for sheer explosive vocal power. It's not subtle, but no doubt it's Elvis in absolute control of his instrument and relishing in it. "Jailhouse Rock" is of course a classic, as is "Hound Dog."

Others that pull you right in:

It's a Long Lonely Highway
Suspicion
The Thrill of Your Love
Promised Land
Burning Love
(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me Someday)
How Great Thou Art
Crying in the Chapel
Trying to Get to You
Heartbreak Hotel
Trouble
Steamroller Blues (Memphis 1974)
Goin' Home
I Got Stung
Don't
Are You Lonesome Tonight
Can't Help Falling in Love
It Feels So Right
It's a Sin
There's Always Me
Santa Claus is Back in Town
Here Comes Santa Claus
Don't Leave Me Now
I Can't Stop Loving You (both MSG versions, and all 1972 versions I've heard)
Kentucky Rain
For the Heart

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:59 am

I can't believe I didn't mention Heartbreak Hotel, was just thinking about that song now.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 am

Have

His Latest Flame
Make Me Know It

been mentioned?

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:56 am

This wasn't too bad!!
http://youtu.be/f2psVWFLCis

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am

US Male, you're saying almost all Elvis' vocals draw you in. :roll: Anyway, I sure agree with you about the evening MSG version of I Can't Stop Loving You. It's much more powerful than the afternoon's version.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:58 am

"I had to leave town for a little while..."

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, It's Now or Never, Surrender, Crying in the Chapel, Guitar Man, In the Ghetto, Burning Love.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:52 pm

'Baby Let's Play House' anyone?
'Tryin' To Get To You'
'Santa Claus Is Back In Town'

Aw.., the list could go on forever!

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:26 pm

"We're caught in a trap..."

"As the snow flies..."

"You ain't nothin' but a..."

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Stay Away came to mind.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Too many to mention, but Hound Dog , Heartbreak Hotel, & Hard Headed Woman were exceptional openers for me in the 50's.
In the 60's, Its Now Or Never, Make Me Know it, and Wearin That Loved On Look.
In the 70' s Hurt, and that's about it

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 pm

You're sleeping son, I know......
But, really, this can't wait...........
I wanted to explain ............
Before it gets too late ..........

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Blue River wrote:The first several times I heard "Hurt" on the radio in 1976... WOW!!

I agree. I don't know how many people here actually heard this on the radio when it was released, but a lot of people liked this song. I can remember hearing it being requested by listeners. It received a lot of air play around these parts.

When I saw him on May 21, 1977, before the warm-up acts even began, I heard a countless number of people mentioning this song and hoping he would sing it that night. He did an okay version that night without the reprise and everything that goes with it. The crowd loved it.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Rob wrote:
Blue River wrote:The first several times I heard "Hurt" on the radio in 1976... WOW!!

I agree. I don't know how many people here actually heard this on the radio when it was released, but a lot of people liked this song. I can remember hearing it being requested by listeners. It received a lot of air play around these parts.

When I saw him on May 21, 1977, before the warm-up acts even began, I heard a countless number of people mentioning this song and hoping he would sing it that night. He did an okay version that night without the reprise and everything that goes with it. The crowd loved it.


The last Elvis record I heard on the radio was My Boy, and only once. He was totally ignored by the top 40 stations here(NYC area). I heard Way Down once on the country station but it was probably after he died.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 pm

I can remember "T-R-O-U B-L-E" being played. I don't remember anything prior to that except for "Burning Love," which was played a lot.

"Hurt" was the last I remember prior to Elvis' death.

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Wearing That Loved On LooK

It set the mood... it kicked ass.....

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 pm

I always liked the opening of Only The Strong Survive..

I remember, my first love affair
Somehow or another the whole darn thing went wrong
My mama had some great advice
So I thought I'd put it into words of this song
I can still hear her sayin' it

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Love Me

Re: Best vocal opening of an EP record

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Peace in the valley
That's when your heartaches begin