Off Topic Messages

Jerry Lewis and MDA

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Please think a good thought for Jerry and his kids this Labor Day weekend. I recently heard the back story of what happened and why he was fired. It's worse than you could imagine and I was horrified to hear of his treatment by the Board.

Whether you like his personality or not, the man deserves better for the 60 years of volunteer work and 2 billion dollars that he raised for MDA. Sadly the children and families are the ones that are truly suffering.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/08/30/la ... years-show

Re: Jerry Lewis and MDA

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:00 am

I agree. What they did to Jerry was inexcusable. They basically threw him under a bus in 2010 and ignored him & his 60 plus years of contributions for the very company he founded way back when. So sad.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:29 am

I always do think of him. And I miss him. I'm glad he's carried on personally.

I almost don't want to know everything that happened. :(

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:07 pm

What did they do to Jerry Lewis?

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't know why he isn't there anymore.

I just thought he retired from doing it.

Mitch

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:38 pm

The full story will eventually be told and Jerry will come out looking like a saint.

He didn't retire. He would have done the show with his last breath.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:28 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The full story will eventually be told and Jerry will come out looking like a saint.

He didn't retire. He would have done the show with his last breath.

No he did not retire.....the shareholders of his own organization booted him off.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 pm

There's much more to it than that...

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:There's much more to it than that...

Can you tell what the whole story is?

What do you know that we don't?

Mitch

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:03 pm

I've been friends with Jerry Lewis since 1981. I know the full story but cannot share the details. I'm sorry about that.

As I mentioned, the truth will eventually be told.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:33 am

I think it's bull$hit what they did to that man... the utter disrespect... it's a disgrace and I will never again support the MDA. I feel terrible saying that because it's really the kids who will suffer.
After all the time and effort he put into making everyone aware and raising millions upon millions of dollars for research... it's despicable. I realize Jerry said a lot of things throughout his career that rubbed people the wrong... but the man is a legend for crying out loud.
I always looked forward to seeing his face every Labor Day weekend... I grew up watching him... I can't tell you how many times I bawled watching him sing You'll Never Walk Alone.
I was thinking about him today... it's just sad. I wish him the very the best.
:(

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 am

I thought about him all day today, watching dull sports and eating a hotdog, and finding the day lacking in the meaning it had for me all my life.

Jerry inspired me to go that extra mile, do the right thing, and nuts to anyone who tries to put you down.

And I also learned what amazing people the original Elvis fans were, in that Atlanta parking lot in 1977. How they put their own grief to one side for Jerry's Kids. This was after (a very young) lifetime of the telethon. It was there before I was born, so it was always there.

It was unbelievable when they did this to him and to the cause, and it still is.

God bless him. And thank God for him. I hope he had a tolerable day today.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:50 am

There are those who suggest that Jerry Lewis was removed by the Muscular Dystrophy Association in 2011 as host of the annual Labor Day telethon because he had been told of a possible cure, and when he presented this discovery to the MDA foundation it was rejected and he was ousted.

http://nayer.blogspot.com/2013/06/was-jerry-lewis-fired-from-md-labor-day.html

Such information, of course, would severely impact the future of the MDA telethon from a financial standpoint. Since his 2011 "retirement" Lewis has not publicly confirmed the rumour.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Who are those people in that "webeo"? What is their credibility? Just curious. MDA dealt with a wide range of neuro muscular diseases, so I can't imagine "one" cure, unless it was for Duchenne (sp?), the disease that most often affects male children, and is almost always fatal. There are others.

rjm

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:24 pm

Whatever the reason, Labor Day isn't the same without him.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:37 am

Apart from the humanitarian effort, I loved the show biz part of the telethon, especially in the 70's. I loved the fact that it was done at the Sahara Hotel and how all the big stars would stop by. And, at the time when TV went off at 1 am, it was cool that it was on all night and I remember how strange it was to wake up the next morning and there Jerry still was.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 am

Jerry often had young, very hot acts! It wasn't just nostalgia acts!

Check this out, live on the telethon in 1984.

phpBB [video]

I remember this one like it was yesterday. I went to sleep kind of early that night, but was told Jerry played it again, in the wee hours. Lots of cool stuff happened in the wee hours!

It was like a box of chocolates; you just never knew.

So, no matter when you woke up, there might be something to see. It wasn't all "Carrot-top"! It wasn't!

Don't know why Elvis was never captured on the show. (Well, I do, actually. {sigh}

rjm

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I've been friends with Jerry Lewis since 1981. I know the full story but cannot share the details. I'm sorry about that.

If you know the truth....share it. I'm always so fascinated when people say they know the man and exactly what happened, but just can't say.

Sorry, carry on.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I've been friends with Jerry Lewis since 1981. I know the full story but cannot share the details. I'm sorry about that.

If you know the truth....share it. I'm always so fascinated when people say they know the man and exactly what happened, but just can't say.

Sorry, carry on.

Very good point, Tom in North Carolina -- thank you for bringing it up.

Who creates a topic about feeling "horrified," and to "think a good thought," yet when repeatedly asked to elaborate, refuses? It reads like someone trying to shine the spotlight on themselves.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 am

rjm wrote:Jerry often had young, very hot acts! It wasn't just nostalgia acts!

Check this out, live on the telethon in 1984.

phpBB [video]

I remember this one like it was yesterday. I went to sleep kind of early that night, but was told Jerry played it again, in the wee hours. Lots of cool stuff happened in the wee hours!

It was like a box of chocolates; you just never knew.

So, no matter when you woke up, there might be something to see. It wasn't all "Carrot-top"! It wasn't!

Don't know why Elvis was never captured on the show. (Well, I do, actually. {sigh}

rjm

I do remember at least a couple of times, Jerry announcing that Elvis called in and donated $5000 to MDA.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:01 am

Indeed. And in '77, he paused to remember and thank Elvis. I was standing there in the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater (the local telethon in Atlanta), selling refreshments for MDA, when they cut to Jerry on a big screen and he said it. There was a table filled with first-gen female fans, and they tried to fight off tears. Elvis had just died.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:12 am

One more thing. It is not about Jerry, or Bob, or teen volunteers like I had been. Nor Ed McMahon, God rest his soul. Not about any of these folks.

It's about people like the youngster described in this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattie_Stepanek

It's about him. And Stephen Hawking, who survives and suffers terribly from Lou Gherig's Disease.

It's about Jerry's kids, which means anyone's, potentially. These diseases strike out of nowhere.

So, keep a good thought for Mattie.

rjm

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 am

We may never know the truth ...