Re: Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame 1986 --> Elvis Takes His Plac

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Another "inspired by" topic. elbo51, your wish is my command.

Behold the first entry in Rolling Stone's coverage of the first "Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame" class:

Elvis Presley, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

I recalled being floored by the photo, it was new to my eyes, and mysterious.

A few pages along, it was pleasing to see this great man:

Sam Phillips, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

And, on the same page, I was doubly floored when this came into view:

Robert Johnson, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

Here was the FIRST-ever image of Robert Johnson, perhaps the greatest of all blues musicians, casually published by the magazine as if it was commonplace.

Wow.

Needless to say, it was a good day at the newsstand.

This is great, the whole thing!

And the picture of Robert Johnson, I couldn't begin to guess how many countless hours I have invested over the years researching & daydreaming about Robert and Ike Zimmerman sitting in the cemetery in Beauregard in the 1930's. Also the mythical one and only Crossroads location (and the 6 other possible locations spread out all over Mississippi lol). This post really brought me to a happy place :-)

I just saw this video for the first time about 2 weeks ago so I'm posting just in case someone may be interested in watching.
Jack Soden and George Klein at Induction Ceremony.
The introduction of George being Elvis' closest or best friend seems a bit odd, but the speech itself I thought was really good.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWYzvzWSGq ... WYzvzWSGqc

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 am

As I recall, and as you can see, he was inducted by Julian AND young Sean Lennon, so the idea was to have John Lennon symbolically induct him - posthumously. Awkward, yes, but that was the clear intention. (Sean was a little young to say anything, but his presence was important.) Lisa was still under wraps, for whatever reason.

Elvis had inspired the *visionary* of rock history's most significant band, and it was assumed that had he not been murdered, he would have done the honors himself. And I like to think he would have. Instead, his two sons did it.

Bruce later inducted Dylan. Not sure who, if anyone, Paul ever inducted. But I think the Lennon(s) choice was most appropriate. It sure felt right at the time.

If Elvis had been alive for this, I don't see why it would have to have been changed. I think Elvis would have been honored, even humbled to be inducted by the two sons. Especially had the murder happened as it did.

rjm (wonderful topic revived here!)
P.S. -- One more thought. If both Elvis and John had been alive, perhaps all four Lads might have inducted him. Ya think?

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 pm

I agree with your line of thinking Robin.
Of course we'll never know but I'd think Elvis would come to his own RRHOF Induction. We know he didn't go to everything he was invited to in his name, but we also know as mentioned on this thread by others, he did attend some events. I certainly think there would have been enough people around him to make it clear to him that he needed to be there (assuming he was on the fence unsure). I just couldn't imagine a scenario where he'd sitting at home while somebody was accepting on his behalf.

I also saw the little one minute introduction on YouTube by Julian and Sean. I found it to be sweet endearing and also honest. I could imagine if Elvis were sitting front and center to have the two younger Lennon's presenting to him he would have been moved possibly even a bit emotional. I don't think its lofty to presume any of it.

As for the four Beatles presenting, as awesome as that would have been, We know about all the in fighting and private disagreements between those guys. At that time in their career (assuming John was still with us all) I don't know that they would have been able to let their ego's get together on the same stage. Of course that's pure assumption on my part. I would certainly like to think it would happen the way you said above.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:22 pm

rjm wrote:As I recall, and as you can see, he was inducted by Julian AND young Sean Lennon, so the idea was to have John Lennon symbolically induct him - posthumously. Awkward, yes, but that was the clear intention. (Sean was a little young to say anything, but his presence was important.) Lisa was still under wraps, for whatever reason.

I'm sure that was the idea but they should have gotten McCartney to do it then.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 am

rjm wrote:Not sure who, if anyone, Paul ever inducted.

Paul inducted John (as a solo artist) in 1994:

phpBB [video]

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 am

1Sixstring wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Another "inspired by" topic. elbo51, your wish is my command.

Behold the first entry in Rolling Stone's coverage of the first "Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame" class:

Elvis Presley, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

I recalled being floored by the photo, it was new to my eyes, and mysterious.

A few pages along, it was pleasing to see this great man:

Sam Phillips, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

And, on the same page, I was doubly floored when this came into view:

Robert Johnson, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

Here was the FIRST-ever image of Robert Johnson, perhaps the greatest of all blues musicians, casually published by the magazine as if it was commonplace.

Wow.

Needless to say, it was a good day at the newsstand.

This is great, the whole thing!

And the picture of Robert Johnson, I couldn't begin to guess how many countless hours I have invested over the years researching & daydreaming about Robert and Ike Zimmerman sitting in the cemetery in Beauregard in the 1930's. Also the mythical one and only Crossroads location (and the 6 other possible locations spread out all over Mississippi lol). This post really brought me to a happy place :-)

I just saw this video for the first time about 2 weeks ago so I'm posting just in case someone may be interested in watching.
Jack Soden and George Klein at Induction Ceremony.
The introduction of George being Elvis' closest or best friend seems a bit odd, but the speech itself I thought was really good.

phpBB [video]

Thanks for the kind words and the YouTube link.

George Klein's speech may be a tad over the top, or perhaps two tads, and he didn't get the Jaycees speech quotation right, but his words do balance out Jack Soden's perfunctory acknowledgements.

"You see, Elvis Presley wasn't a star, HE WAS A DAMN GALAXY!!!"
- George Klein, RARHOF, Thursday, January 23, 1986, New York