burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Computer Isn't Recognizing My WesternDigital MyBook External

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 pm

I've got a problem with my WesternDigital MyBook External HD:

Problem: Computer all of a sudden won't recognize it.

Question: How do I solve this problem? The drive is NOWHERE NEAR to being completely full so...I'm just wondering if this is repairable (and I pray hard that it is!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Computer Isn't Recognizing My WesternDigital MyBook Exte

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 am

Tony Trout wrote:I've got a problem with my WesternDigital MyBook External HD:

Question: How do I solve this problem? The drive is NOWHERE NEAR to being completely full so...I'm just wondering if this is repairable (and I pray hard that it is!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Some suggest trying a shorter cord:

Dumb asses at WD sent a a cord that was too long. Before you start your tech war. I used the 6" USB 2.0 cable that came with my Portable USB HDD. And what do you know the dumb thing started working fine. So before you format that hard drive try a shorter USB cable. It has to do with voltage drop received to and from the port. Ask some one who can explain it. I just know how to fix it.! Good luck

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-86235-help-my-western-digital-is-not-recognized

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:42 am

Tony

I've had a similar problem every now & then with my Western Digital Mybook USB 2.0 2TB drive. When this happens I do the following;-

1. Shut down the PC & disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the Hard drive

2. Restart the PC

3. When the PC is fully up & you can start using it, reconnect the drive

4. Wait a few minutes to see if the drive becomes recognised

5. Restart the PC & presto your drive should reappear

My opinion is that somehow the drive is losing a driver & yet Windows reports that the driver is up to date. This method works for me 100% of the time. Good luck.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 am

I use thumb drives. I had a large external one pass away for no reason, and I'd rather use thumb drives.

You can keep two identical ones to be sure, and take them anywhere.

Wish I could be of more assistance.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:I've got a problem with my WesternDigital MyBook External HD:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Some suggest trying a shorter cord:

Dumb asses at WD sent a a cord that was too long. Before you start your tech war. I used the 6" USB 2.0 cable that came with my Portable USB HDD. And what do you know the dumb thing started working fine. So before you format that hard drive try a shorter USB cable. It has to do with voltage drop received to and from the port. Ask some one who can explain it. I just know how to fix it.! Good luck

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-86235-help-my-western-digital-is-not-recognized

Thanks, John. The quote from this person is right-on-the-money. The idiots/dumbasses at WD truly are that - dumbasses. The guy I spoke with yesterday talked so damn slow that it was almost useless for me to make the call.

Right now, everything booted up just fine - except that the blue light is showing as "on" on the HDD but there isn't any noise.....I guess it's dead....crap....and I don't know how to get my pictures and all the music and videos back that I have on the HDD. :( :cry:

ETA: I should note that this all happened AFTER Windows sent through some new updates which I have been told haven't worked correctly. I have placed an order from Amazon for a new power supply and new USB cable. Should have it by Tuesday.

Ray wrote:Tony

I've had a similar problem every now & then with my Western Digital Mybook USB 2.0 2TB drive. When this happens I do the following;-

1. Shut down the PC & disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the Hard drive

2. Restart the PC

3. When the PC is fully up & you can start using it, reconnect the drive

4. Wait a few minutes to see if the drive becomes recognised

5. Restart the PC & presto your drive should reappear

My opinion is that somehow the drive is losing a driver & yet Windows reports that the driver is up to date. This method works for me 100% of the time. Good luck.

Ray, the reason that Windows reports that the driver is up to date is because these external HDD's don't use a separate driver. They use the Windows drivers themselves because when I checked that out on mine, it showed the same thing - that the device was/is working properly.

ETA: I have unplugged the hard drive completely and I'm not using it. A funny thing happens when I try shutting down: The hard drive begins humming like it normally would when it's working. Please don't tell me that it doing that indicates a serious problem....:(

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 am

Tony

I'm surprised that the method I described didn't work for you, it has worked everytime for me since I upgraded to Windows 7, then Windows 8, funny the drive never disappeared on Win XP.

If you think you may lose your data of the drive it's worth giving the below software a shot, I've used it to recover data of SD cards, DVD's, thumbdrives, internal Hard drives & external hard drives, even if the drive has been formatted it's found the data without fail. The last time I used this was to help a friend, she accidentally dropped he portable 1TB drive onto a concrete floor, the drive could not be seen by any pc or device she plugged it into (including my pc), I opened up ISOBUSTER & it found over 3TB of data & recovered it all, the reason it found 3TB on a 1TB drive is that it recovered ALL data from the last 3 Formats !!!

http://www.isobuster.com/

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Ray wrote:Tony

I'm surprised that the method I described didn't work for you, it has worked everytime for me since I upgraded to Windows 7, then Windows 8, funny the drive never disappeared on Win XP.

If you think you may lose your data of the drive it's worth giving the below software a shot, I've used it to recover data of SD cards, DVD's, thumbdrives, internal Hard drives & external hard drives, even if the drive has been formatted it's found the data without fail. The last time I used this was to help a friend, she accidentally dropped he portable 1TB drive onto a concrete floor, the drive could not be seen by any pc or device she plugged it into (including my pc), I opened up ISOBUSTER & it found over 3TB of data & recovered it all, the reason it found 3TB on a 1TB drive is that it recovered ALL data from the last 3 Formats !!!

http://www.isobuster.com/

Ray, is that a free program? You have no idea how helpful your input has been regarding my HDD. I thank you.

Just noticed that it isn't free, unfortunately. I will still download it but I'll have to wait until I can afford to purchase the full version.