Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: For older fans: When did you become concerned?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:51 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:For the older fans here--fans who were say teenagers or older in the 1970s--around what year, what time, did you begin to become concerned about Elvis' health, his appearance, etc?

Also, before Elvis died, was his use of prescription medications known (or at least rumored about) amongst hard core fans? What I'm trying to say is, did anyone here who was around back then, say in 1975, 1976, etc have any idea or any suspicions that something wasn't right?

Fans first became concerned on October 14, 1959.

Okay. So this is not ENTIRELY serious on the face of it, but why that date?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

I assume it's the day Elvis met Priscilla? :wink:

One could say the day everything went downhill was August 14, 1958.

No, that was September 13, 1959...or thereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:For the older fans here--fans who were say teenagers or older in the 1970s--around what year, what time, did you begin to become concerned about Elvis' health, his appearance, etc?

Also, before Elvis died, was his use of prescription medications known (or at least rumored about) amongst hard core fans? What I'm trying to say is, did anyone here who was around back then, say in 1975, 1976, etc have any idea or any suspicions that something wasn't right?

Let me guess. The accident with the BMW that Vernon had over in Germany and the international press reported Elvis died in the crash.....

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Fans first became concerned on October 14, 1959.

Okay. So this is not ENTIRELY serious on the face of it, but why that date?

We lost Errol Flynn that day.

It may have stressed Elvis a bit.

He came back as clark gable didnt he

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 am

some friends and family of mine saw Elvis in concert in 1975. They had a great time. they noticed he was overweight but that did not concern them because he was 40 years old. its natural for people to have gained weight by that age. after 30 years old it gets harder to keep the weight off unless you have great genes or did 100 situps a day. they said there was no signs of drug use. he was in a great mood with clear speech and sang great. they were shocked when he died. its was not until the cbs special that they realized how sick he was in 1977. People have to remember that things were different back then. you were not getting constant news updates on him. like u would today.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:34 am

For the most part, judging from all the concert's we have available to us via soundboards and audience recordings, you can tell it really started affecting his shows on a normal basis in 1976. Yes there were clear signs of trouble in August 1974, August 1973, July 1975 etc, but he always came back, and gave good professional shows for the most part, but by 1976 they almost all were sleep walking through performances, yes March, (tahoe engagement) October-December had good shows, but the summer shows were almost all dreadful as far as sounding slurred, and overweight and it continued til the last tour.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Let me guess. The accident with the BMW that Vernon had over in Germany and the international press reported Elvis died in the crash.....

Damn, I missed the Errol Flynn post. I thought for once I would be first in an Elvis trivia thing...

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:33 pm

DEH wrote:some friends and family of mine saw Elvis in concert in 1975. They had a great time. they noticed he was overweight but that did not concern them because he was 40 years old. its natural for people to have gained weight by that age. after 30 years old it gets harder to keep the weight off unless you have great genes or did 100 situps a day. they said there was no signs of drug use. he was in a great mood with clear speech and sang great. they were shocked when he died. its was not until the cbs special that they realized how sick he was in 1977. People have to remember that things were different back then. you were not getting constant news updates on him. like u would today.

Being 40 is no excuse to be overweight. In fact most people I know over 50 (including me) are in better shape now than when I knew them in their 20's. Besides look at some celebs in their 50s, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, George Clooney, etc. The list goes on & on. Elvis was lazy and got out of shape because of his diet and lifestyle. His idea of losing poundage was to take diet pills, but I guess he didn't do that anymore after 1975.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm

The focus from '75 on was almost all about his weight. The hardcore fans were concerned over the hospitalizations, but attributed Elvis' problems simply to overwork.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 pm

The thing I noticed a little bit in 1974 and a lot in 1977 was the slow start to his shows. As someone who became a fan because of the Garden album and loves the 1972 spring and summer shows, I expected more. When I saw him in Louisville in June '74, I halfway expected him to come out rockin' with the first few songs. He didn't, but kept the show moving along quite nicely. A good night for the main attraction. The May 1977 show was a different story. While I, along with 19,000 other people had the time of our lives that night, the opening seemed to drag along. There was more of the "Well, well" thing, and J.D.'s dive bomb routine was a little longer. He then stood at the mic stand and played "That's All Right" which was a nice surprise at the time. But even at fifteen, I saw that things had slowed down. He was also sweating more than he did before with less movement. All that said, the thing that strikes me now is that he seemed to have lost the confidence that he had on stage. When he came on stage just three years earlier when I saw him, he owned it. Not so much this time. The Louisville show was a fairly decent performance, especially considering the events that supposedly took place at the hotel before the show.

Things had changed, though, from June 1974 to May 1977 -- and it was noticeable to a certain teenager in the crowd.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Rob wrote:The thing I noticed a little bit in 1974 and a lot in 1977 was the slow start to his shows. As someone who became a fan because of the Garden album and loves the 1972 spring and summer shows, I expected more. When I saw him in Louisville in June '74, I halfway expected him to come out rockin' with the first few songs. He didn't, but kept the show moving along quite nicely. A good night for the main attraction. The May 1977 show was a different story. While I, along with 19,000 other people had the time of our lives that night, the opening seemed to drag along. There was more of the "Well, well" thing, and J.D.'s dive bomb routine was a little longer. He then stood at the mic stand and played "That's All Right" which was a nice surprise at the time. But even at fifteen, I saw that things had slowed down. He was also sweating more than he did before with less movement. All that said, the thing that strikes me now is that he seemed to have lost the confidence that he had on stage. When he came on stage just three years earlier when I saw him, he owned it. Not so much this time. The Louisville show was a fairly decent performance, especially considering the events that supposedly took place at the hotel before the show.

Things had changed, though, from June 1974 to May 1977 -- and it was noticeable to a certain teenager in the crowd.

Nicely said, Rob. As you know I was fortunate enough to see Elvis in 71, 74, 76, and 77. The change from June 1976 to May 1977 was very dramatic, not to mention the other years. We both saw him during the June 1974 tour, which was a great tour. He was funny, active on stage, engaging, and his voice was great. I am not being critical of Elvis because I loved every show I attended. But, the "changes" were so noticable.

rlj

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Rob wrote: The Louisville show was a fairly decent performance, especially considering the events that supposedly took place at the hotel before the show.

Off topic I know but what happened at the hotel Rob?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

From Larry Geller:

Oh God, some nights I don't know how he got through it. On one of Elvis' last tours we were in Louisville, Kentucky, and Elvis was physically ill and was going through so much emotionally. This one night in particular he was nauseous & feverish and he felt terrible. He couldn't sleep and he was tossing & turning. I was so tired myself I said, "Hey Elvis, I have got to get some sleep and I'll see you when you wake up."

We were at the Hilton Hotel and the next day when I got back to Elvis' suite I walk in and surprisingly Colonel Parker is there. The first time I ever saw him come to Elvis' room. I say, "Hi Colonel." He says, "Where is he?" I explain that he's with Dr Nick and I say, "Let me tell Elvis you're here." The Col brushes past me saying, "No. I'm going right in" and he opens the door. It pains me to even tell you this but what I saw was Dr Nick kneeling at Elvis' bed. Elvis is comatose and groaning and Dr Nick is dunking Elvis' head into a bucket of iced-water to revive him. It was a pathetic sight. The door closes and my first thought was, 'This is probably good since finally Col Parker is going to find out what the hell is going on.

The Old Man is going to see Elvis in this terrible shape, semi-conscious, and stop this awful tour'. A minute later the door opens, Col Parker walks up to me, and I stand up. We stand toe to toe and he looks me in the eyes. He says, "Now you listen to me. The only thing that is important is that that man is on stage tonight! Do you hear me? Nothing else matters." Then he walks out. My heart sank. I knew the truth and I wanted to scream. Oh my god, that shallow Motherf****r.

I then heard Elvis shout, "Lawrence are you there? Why the hell did you let that bastard in here?" I explained that he had walked right past me and then Elvis ranted for an hour about Col Parker. He just used every word in the book and said, "That's big, fat, *** …. I'm going to get rid of his fat ass. Daddy wants to get rid of him; he's hated him for years. I can't stand him. He's lost touch with show business years ago. He's just using me and I want Tom Hullett to be my manager. After the tour in September that is it!" He talked about who he was going to fire and how he was going to change things for the good.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:25 pm

r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:some friends and family of mine saw Elvis in concert in 1975. They had a great time. they noticed he was overweight but that did not concern them because he was 40 years old. its natural for people to have gained weight by that age. after 30 years old it gets harder to keep the weight off unless you have great genes or did 100 situps a day. they said there was no signs of drug use. he was in a great mood with clear speech and sang great. they were shocked when he died. its was not until the cbs special that they realized how sick he was in 1977. People have to remember that things were different back then. you were not getting constant news updates on him. like u would today.

Being 40 is no excuse to be overweight. In fact most people I know over 50 (including me) are in better shape now than when I knew them in their 20's. Besides look at some celebs in their 50s, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, George Clooney, etc. The list goes on & on. Elvis was lazy and got out of shape because of his diet and lifestyle. His idea of losing poundage was to take diet pills, but I guess he didn't do that anymore after 1975.

Again, its a different time now. living a healthy lifestyle is promoted hard now. there are fitness clubs all over the place. u cant compare now to then. Hell there are rehab places now. there weren't any than. and celebrity image is way different now. drugs and living a reckless lifestyle was accepted back then. its not now. hell back in Elvis's day 40 was considered OLD. its not now. its not a big deal now when a celeb turns 40. hell, its not even mentioned. different time.

By the way. go tell the 40 year old people walking down the street that have a paunch how lazy they are.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 pm

I was always aware and liked Elvis but I became a big fan after seeing him in August of 73 in Vegas so after that is when I really started paying attention and looking at all the movie mags and tabloids. I first became concerned when friends of my parents saw him in Vegas in August of 75 and said he had gotten fat. Then all the movie mag pictures started rolling in and the tabloid pictures and stories about his appearance in Vegas and having to cut the season short due to "exhaustion". Then It was just picture after picture and story after story from 75 on. When I was hearing about the Vail trip and Denver visit in 76, he sounded like he was healthy and in good shape but when we saw him in April he was fat but he put on a good show so I just thought it was a case of him needing to get back in shape. I didn't think he was experiencing anything different than my Dad who was roughly around Elvis's age and had gained some weight in his gut after he turned 40. My Dad and most of his friends who were in good shape in their 30's developed beer bellies (as they called them) after 40 so I thought that was all that was going on with Elvis at first. Then the stories of bad shows, cancelled shows and stays in the hospital for exhaustion made me wonder what was going on. Drugs never entered into my mind but some kind of illness did.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:56 pm

DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:

Again, its a different time now. living a healthy lifestyle is promoted hard now. there are fitness clubs all over the place. u cant compare now to then. Hell there are rehab places now. there weren't any than. and celebrity image is way different now. drugs and living a reckless lifestyle was accepted back then. its not now. hell back in Elvis's day 40 was considered OLD. its not now. its not a big deal now when a celeb turns 40. hell, its not even mentioned. different time.

By the way. go tell the 40 year old people walking down the street that have a paunch how lazy they are.

Yes its a different time, but even back then it was known not to eat foods fried in butter and have a lot of sugar. Who were these geniuses surrounding the biggest star in the world?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Rob wrote:From Larry Geller:

Oh God, some nights I don't know how he got through it. On one of Elvis' last tours we were in Louisville, Kentucky, and Elvis was physically ill and was going through so much emotionally. This one night in particular he was nauseous & feverish and he felt terrible. He couldn't sleep and he was tossing & turning. I was so tired myself I said, "Hey Elvis, I have got to get some sleep and I'll see you when you wake up."

We were at the Hilton Hotel and the next day when I got back to Elvis' suite I walk in and surprisingly Colonel Parker is there. The first time I ever saw him come to Elvis' room. I say, "Hi Colonel." He says, "Where is he?" I explain that he's with Dr Nick and I say, "Let me tell Elvis you're here." The Col brushes past me saying, "No. I'm going right in" and he opens the door. It pains me to even tell you this but what I saw was Dr Nick kneeling at Elvis' bed. Elvis is comatose and groaning and Dr Nick is dunking Elvis' head into a bucket of iced-water to revive him. It was a pathetic sight. The door closes and my first thought was, 'This is probably good since finally Col Parker is going to find out what the hell is going on.

The Old Man is going to see Elvis in this terrible shape, semi-conscious, and stop this awful tour'. A minute later the door opens, Col Parker walks up to me, and I stand up. We stand toe to toe and he looks me in the eyes. He says, "Now you listen to me. The only thing that is important is that that man is on stage tonight! Do you hear me? Nothing else matters." Then he walks out. My heart sank. I knew the truth and I wanted to scream. Oh my god, that shallow Motherf****r.

I then heard Elvis shout, "Lawrence are you there? Why the hell did you let that bastard in here?" I explained that he had walked right past me and then Elvis ranted for an hour about Col Parker. He just used every word in the book and said, "That's big, fat, *** …. I'm going to get rid of his fat ass. Daddy wants to get rid of him; he's hated him for years. I can't stand him. He's lost touch with show business years ago. He's just using me and I want Tom Hullett to be my manager. After the tour in September that is it!" He talked about who he was going to fire and how he was going to change things for the good.

It's too bad it was too late for any of that to happen!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:04 pm

r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:

Yes its a different time, but even back then it was known not to eat foods fried in butter and have a lot of sugar. Who were these geniuses surrounding the biggest star in the world?

Have u ever had southern cooking???? i have friends that live down south and the stuff Elvis ate back then was normal southern cooking. The peanut and banana sandwich thing has been overblown though. friends have said he didn't eat that much.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Back then, if you look at the recipe books, everything was fried off in butter, olive oil was unheard of. Butter in cooking, butter to cook your veges, butter to cook your meat, butter to spread on your bread, butter to make your bread.

Animal fat was used for frying food.

There wasn't anything like Mediterranean food. Even now, the Home Economics books that are used to teach our children in the schools have recipes on how to make lollies and cakes, major sections that are practically used. Healthy foods? Forget it. I know this first hand, same Home Economic recipes were used by me that are used now. The schools promote healthy eating, but what they supply to cook with - no way. Cook a chicken? Lather it in butter as it cooks (taught in the school today). If not done, you are marked down as the chicken wasn't browned enough.

I know people who visited Scotland, the eating there (if there are any Scots, please correct me if I am wrong) is still not as healthy as it should be.

Like now, in this day and age, there are fads and fashions, and what is available to utilise depends on the fashions and knowledge at the time.

There wasn't anything back then as there is now.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:01 am

DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:

Have u ever had southern cooking???? i have friends that live down south and the stuff Elvis ate back then was normal southern cooking. The peanut and banana sandwich thing has been overblown though. friends have said he didn't eat that much.

Yes but Elvis also gorged on a lot of ice cream, pizza, burnt bacon, loads of Pepsi, etc. There is Southern cooking and then there is Elvis' diet, BTW, Mississippi & Alabama are the 2 unhealthiest states in the nation. I guess things havent changed much.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:04 am

Mountain Misst wrote:Back then, if you look at the recipe books, everything was fried off in butter, olive oil was unheard of. Butter in cooking, butter to cook your veges, butter to cook your meat, butter to spread on your bread, butter to make your bread.

Animal fat was used for frying food.

There wasn't anything like Mediterranean food. Even now, the Home Economics books that are used to teach our children in the schools have recipes on how to make lollies and cakes, major sections that are practically used. Healthy foods? Forget it. I know this first hand, same Home Economic recipes were used by me that are used now. The schools promote healthy eating, but what they supply to cook with - no way. Cook a chicken? Lather it in butter as it cooks (taught in the school today). If not done, you are marked down as the chicken wasn't browned enough.

I know people who visited Scotland, the eating there (if there are any Scots, please correct me if I am wrong) is still not as healthy as it should be.

Like now, in this day and age, there are fads and fashions, and what is available to utilise depends on the fashions and knowledge at the time.

There wasn't anything back then as there is now.

I'm Irish but my wife is Scottish and I've lived here for years. The diet in Scotland is horrendous - it's not great in Ireland either to be honest, at least among older people but even I was shocked at what they eat here. People joke about Scotland's deep fried chocolate bars but I've seen them with my own wide eyes. Deep fried pizza anyone? To paraphrase the great Alan Partridge "Cholesterol! Scottish people eat it, they don't see a day over sixty".

Incidentally, has anyone (eg Dr Nick who was said to have been there) ever corroborate Larry Geller's Louisville story?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:07 am

Rob wrote:I'm going to get rid of his fat ass. Daddy wants to get rid of him; he's hated him for years. I can't stand him. He's lost touch with show business years ago. He's just using me and I want Tom Hullett to be my manager. After the tour in September that is it!" He talked about who he was going to fire and how he was going to change things for the good. [/color][/i]

IF ONLY Elvis had done this BEFORE 1977........

rlj

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:16 am

elmonstro wrote:

I'm Irish but my wife is Scottish and I've lived here for years. The diet in Scotland is horrendous - it's not great in Ireland either to be honest, at least among older people but even I was shocked at what they eat here. People joke about Scotland's deep fried chocolate bars but I've seen them with my own wide eyes. Deep fried pizza anyone? To paraphrase the great Alan Partridge "Cholesterol! Scottish people eat it, they don't see a day over sixty".

Top of the morning to you!! :D (I love that saying, lol).

Thank you for your reply. My friends who visited Scotland love it, and are going to return (I'd LOVE to visit, myself) however, they said that there isn't anything to eat there that is healthy. Good strong Scottish genes, but they eat so badly, as used to be the case with anything British. Of course, the British settled in the South; hence, the history: "The vast majority of 18th century settlers were English or of primarily English descent but nearly 20% of them were also Scotch-Irish."

I gather, the above would be the back-ground for the menu for people from the American South, still ice-cream is yummy and most men love bacon. :D

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Mountain Misst wrote:
elmonstro wrote:

Thank you for your reply. My friends who visited Scotland love it, and are going to return (I'd LOVE to visit, myself) however, they said that there isn't anything to eat there that is healthy. Good strong Scottish genes, but they eat so badly, as used to be the case with anything British. Of course, the British settled in the South; hence, the history: "The vast majority of 18th century settlers were English or of primarily English descent but nearly 20% of them were also Scotch-Irish."

I gather, the above would be the back-ground for the menu for people from the American South, still ice-cream is yummy and most men love bacon. :D

Our diet isn't all bad, after all we have McDonalds, Burgher King and KFC to enjoy. :D

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm

2kd wrote:I think, and this is totally my own opinion, that Elvis was so sick and so depressed that he just did what he wanted to do at the end. He no longer cared about staying healthy. It's difficult to get yourself into a workout routine and a healthy diet when your life is falling apart. His family was broken, his manager was out of control and over-controlling. His career was failing and he was aging. Had Parker been replaced and a new manager hired, Elvis might have eventually seen that his career could take off in a different direction. Especially if he could have seen that he would have been the most amazing music producer who ever lived. The man could "feel" a song, feel the words and the music. Imagine . . .

Yes, and that's the saddest part of all. I always assumed he loved being Elvis Presley. He said as much in his 1969 vegas press conf. To see it all go so wrong for him those last 5 years is such a shame. I blame the Col most for this. Elvis really should have fired his ass.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
elmonstro wrote:

Our diet isn't all bad, after all we have McDonalds, Burgher King and KFC to enjoy. :D

Sounds like a stroll down EP Blvd.