Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A Legendary Performer

Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 pm

If a record company reissue an original album then it needs to stay the same as the original release or there is little point in doing it. It should feature the same artwork and same track listing in the same order. If they ever release the Legendary Performer series on CD and you don't want to listen to the interviews hit the 'skip' button or copy them onto itunes and delete the interview.

Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 pm

cashfan wrote:If they ever do release the series on FTD they should remain as per the originals with the interviews left as they were. It is how the albums were originally released...
... It should feature the same artwork and same track listing in the same order.

I agree with that reasoning, cashfan.

skatterbrane wrote:I had to lift the needle on the LPs at each interview.

Now all you'd have to do is tap the "skip" button, skatterbrane. No big deal.

MIKEMORAN wrote:If i'm correct Vol 1 and 2 which were released during Elvis life time all featured tracks recorded pre 1972 and because Elvis and the colonel had sold the rights to the back catalogue of songs to RCA...

The buyout deal was actually for all recordings pre-March '73... that's how RCA was able to use the 1-14-73 version of "Blue Hawaii" on Volume 2 (as mentioned by another poster).

Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 pm

skatterbrane wrote:No they were not in chronological order ...

That's not what I wrote. I said "pretty close."

Regardless of such hair-splitting, if Volume 1 and Volume 2 are ever reissued, they must be presented as they were back in the 1970s.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Blue River wrote:
MIKEMORAN wrote:If i'm correct Vol 1 and 2 which were released during Elvis life time all featured tracks recorded pre 1972 and because Elvis and the colonel had sold the rights to the back catalogue of songs to RCA...

The buyout deal was actually for all recordings pre-March '73... that's how RCA was able to use the 1-14-73 version of "Blue Hawaii" on Volume 2 (as mentioned by another poster).

Yes, I made that astute observation.

And, given that the notes on the LP are intentionally vague for the source of "Blue Hawaii," that indicates RCA felt they might have been skirting the March 1973 agreement, and covered their tracks (pun intended).

That the other 4 masters from 1-14-1973 were also issued under similar circumstances on 1978's budget release Mahalo From Elvis, further bolsters this notion.

Another series of keen observations, methinks. ;-)

Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And, given that the notes on the LP are intentionally vague for the source of "Blue Hawaii," that indicates RCA felt they might have been skirting the March 1973 agreement, and covered their tracks (pun intended).
That the other 4 masters from 1-14-1973 were also issued under similar circumstances on 1978's budget release Mahalo From Elvis, further bolsters this notion.
Another series of keen observations, methinks.

:lol: There's nothing "astute" or "keen" about your observations. The notes on almost all of Elvis' LP's during his lifetime were vague. RCA (by written contract) had the rights to use the January '73 recording of "Blue Hawaii" on A Legendary Performer Vol. 2 without trying to cover anything.

drjohn, be careful that you don't pull a muscle in your arm reaching around to pat yourself on the back... for no apparent reason other than just trying to draw attention to yourself.

Another easy observation of mine concerning you, methinks. 8)

Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:The Legendary series could be handled much like Out Memories of Elvis on FTD, they really do not need to include the interviews, or if they do, tag them on at the end. It is irritating to have an interview interjected in the flow of music.

The magic of the series was the mix of masters, outtakes and rare interviews. It painted a complete picture of how the artist became legendary, and to edit the original sequencing would destroy this. You have to tip your cap to RCA producer Joan Deary on this one.

Sadly, I've never read what Elvis might have thought about Volume 1 or 2, and especially hearing such material as 1954's "Harbor Lights" and "I Love You Because," or those ripping live tracks from the 1968 small combo jams, like "Love Me," "Tryin' to Get to You" and "Baby What You Want Me To Do."

He probably didn't even know that there was a series. But I agree with the first part of your post.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:And, given that the notes on the LP are intentionally vague for the source of "Blue Hawaii," that indicates RCA felt they might have been skirting the March 1973 agreement, and covered their tracks (pun intended).

Another series of keen observations, methinks.

:lol: There's nothing "astute" or "keen" about your observations. The notes on almost all of Elvis' LP's during his lifetime were vague.

Wrong again.

Anyone who has a copy of the LP in question may see how vague the credits are for "Blue Hawaii," while many others are quite specific.

Which is the point: RCA was being cagey about the source of this recording.

cpl1-1349-cover-side1.jpg
cpl1-1349-cover-side2-flat.jpg
cpl1-1349-innersleeve-side2.jpg

CPL1-1349 A Legendary Performer - Elvis, Volume 2 | elvisrecords.us
http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-1349-a-legendary-performer-elvis-volume-2/
Images courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database, elvisrecords.us

On 1978's Mahalo From Elvis, there is even less.

Stop trying to jump on other people's erudite comments, and just enjoy the free knowledge! ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 24, 2013 2:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Stop trying to jump on other people's erudite comments, and just enjoy the free knowledge! ;-)

"erudite" smt174

Gee, thanks. I had no idea what "unreleased live version" meant until you told/showed the world 37 years after the release!

Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Stop trying to jump on other people's erudite comments, and just enjoy the free knowledge! ;-)

"erudite" smt174

Gee, thanks. I had no idea what "unreleased live version" meant until you told/showed the world 37 years after the release!

Blue River my friend, don't you think it would only be fair that you start making donations to Doc for all this free knowledge you been soaking up lately, in fact he gave you enough in the past few months to bring the national debt down to zero! :lol:

Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 am

Blue River wrote:

"erudite" smt174

If you have nothing to add to the topic, and it is clear you -- as usual -- do not, please leave.

Thanks.

Fri May 24, 2013 3:02 am

promiseland wrote:Blue River my friend, don't you think it would only be fair that you start making donations to Doc for all this free knowledge you been soaking up lately

Yes... here ya' go, Doc ---> smt165

Fri May 24, 2013 3:07 am

Did anyone notice "From The Complete ELVIS PRESLEY Masters" set on page (of the book) 167 the cover of Legendary Performer Volume 2 has wrong cover? Anyways I want my money back! Lol... ::rocks Ps. Seriously,that mistake cover where you see the booklet on a number of places I can't recall. It's probably on the database and should be re- photographed. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58555

Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

I was pleased to see so many positive comments about my original post (and blog) but sad to see yet another post end up with members just 'bitching' at each other. I read this forum most days but was always put off from posting for that reason. Come on guys can't we all just get along :)

Sat May 25, 2013 1:41 am

cashfan wrote:I was pleased to see so many positive comments about my original post (and blog) but sad to see yet another post end up with members just 'bitching' at each other.

Please don't be discouraged, but by the same token, please don't generalize. It pretty obvious who contributed to your topic, and who chose to cause rancor. It's always the same handful of members who try to disrupt, they clearly feel deeply inadequate and must try to spoil a good discussion.

It's the internet. Just appreciate the good.

::rocks

Sat May 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Did anyone notice "From The Complete ELVIS PRESLEY Masters" set on page (of the book) 167 the cover of Legendary Performer Volume 2 has wrong cover? Anyways I want my money back! Lol... ::rocks Ps. Seriously,that mistake cover where you see the booklet on a number of places I can't recall. It's probably on the database and should be re- photographed. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58555

I do not remember what that picture looked like, but the Legendary Performer LPs had a die cut cover and if you flipped the book around so that the back picture is exposed, you would get a different "cover" per se'.

Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 am

The CD versions of Vol 1 and Vol 2 are truncated and the masters are not the same. In fact Trying To Get To You is the 1955 recording not the 68 comeback recording. Sony really should release these properly, maybe as a 2-3 disc set, to include Vol 1-4.

Wed May 29, 2013 1:57 am

skatterbrane wrote: Sony really should release these properly, maybe as a 2-3 disc set, to include Vol 1-4.

A 2-disc set would do the trick. :smt023

Vol. 1 & 2 on disc one... Vol. 3 & 4 on disc two... and a few bonus alternate takes thrown in for good measure. :wink:

Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 am

skatterbrane wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Did anyone notice "From The Complete ELVIS PRESLEY Masters" set on page (of the book) 167 the cover of Legendary Performer Volume 2 has wrong cover? Anyways I want my money back! Lol... ::rocks Ps. Seriously,that mistake cover where you see the booklet on a number of places I can't recall. It's probably on the database and should be re- photographed. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58555

I do not remember what that picture looked like ...

It's in my previous post!

Wed May 29, 2013 4:54 am

No one has mentioned this as of yet, but the eye opener for me was Volume 4, in which we were treated to
the best home recordings, i think that were ever released.

Joan Deary, hand picked those tunes out, and picked some wonderful stuff.

Titles such as , "Mona Lisa", and "I'm begining to forget you", that I don't think any fan knew Elvis had recorded til these came out of volume 4.

And Joan picked the home songs that had the best overall sound quality as well.

The two titles mentioned above are still among my favorite home recordings that have escaped thru the years, along with "Danny boy".

Thu May 30, 2013 12:23 pm

ekenee wrote:No one has mentioned this as of yet, but the eye opener for me was Volume 4, in which we were treated to
the best home recordings, i think that were ever released.

Joan Deary, hand picked those tunes out, and picked some wonderful stuff.

Titles such as , "Mona Lisa", and "I'm begining to forget you", that I don't think any fan knew Elvis had recorded til these came out of volume 4.

And Joan picked the home songs that had the best overall sound quality as well.

The two titles mentioned above are still among my favorite home recordings that have escaped thru the years, along with "Danny boy".

I did mention these two titles in my blog article - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/ :)

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Blue River wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
Blue River wrote:
cashfan wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I forgot to mention that in my blog. The version of Can't Help Falling In Love was minus the backing vocals.

Wow! I had the album back then and never realized that! Very interesting.
Does anyone know if it was released on CD that way?
>> http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/a/ ... usa91.html

The completed master is on the original 1989 Canadian issued CD.

Okay, thanks. So the LP vinyl may be the only way to get the master take minus the backing vocals.

What would be the Elvis world if there weren´t any Elvis Collectors? :roll:. Do you think it would be the end of it? :smt005.

Some on this very messageboard undestimate what a great work they do when they supply rare material and what is more important for free! :wink:.

When they are in that position to supply rare material and they are underrrated what is done over here :shock:, it is then when one realize it is not worth to spend your free time doing this :cry:. But at the same time, you should try not to be selfish and then without thinking twice, you have to think that not everybody has access to everything. That´s why I am always very grateful when Elvis Collectors share their collections over here ::rocks.

Here below you will find a Mono rip in Wav of the rare mix of the song Can´t Help Falling In Love, as included on the original U.S.A Lp CPL1-0341 Elvis-A Legendary Performer Vol 1, where backing vocals by The Jordanaires are almost inaudible. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/43019497/file.html
Can´t Help Falling In Love-Different Mono Mix.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Cool... thanks, Mike! Never heard that one before as I never owned the first two volumes of ALP.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Cool... thanks, Mike! Never heard that one before as I never owned the first two volumes of ALP.

You´re very welcome my friend! ::rocks.

Go fo it!!!!!. They are very cheap to find on ebay, and even some are still factory sealed :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-A-LEGENDA ... 1e7d9d1d1e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Elvis-Pres ... 27d5d590c5

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Blue River wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
Blue River wrote:
cashfan wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I forgot to mention that in my blog. The version of Can't Help Falling In Love was minus the backing vocals.

Wow! I had the album back then and never realized that! Very interesting.
Does anyone know if it was released on CD that way?
>> http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/a/ ... usa91.html

The completed master is on the original 1989 Canadian issued CD.

Okay, thanks. So the LP vinyl may be the only way to get the master take minus the backing vocals.

What would be the Elvis world if there weren´t any Elvis Collectors? :roll:. Do you think it would be the end of it? :smt005.

Some on this very messageboard undestimate what a great work they do when they supply rare material and what is more important for free! :wink:.

When they are in that position to supply rare material and they are underrrated what is done over here :shock:, it is then when one realize it is not worth to spend your free time doing this :cry:. But at the same time, you should try not to be selfish and then without thinking twice, you have to think that not everybody has access to everything. That´s why I am always very grateful when Elvis Collectors share their collections over here ::rocks.

Here below you will find a Mono rip in Wav of the rare mix of the song Can´t Help Falling In Love, as included on the original U.S.A Lp CPL1-0341 Elvis-A Legendary Performer Vol 1, where backing vocals by The Jordanaires are almost inaudible. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/43019497/file.html
Can´t Help Falling In Love-Different Mono Mix.

Anytime one can remove the Jordanaires from an Elvis recording, it is a vast improvement. Same would be true with the Stamps or Voice.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:03 pm

For me there is now another interesting blog to read. Thank you for the link to that one.