Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 am

Okay, sorry to bring this old chestnut up again, but the 'Frankie And Johnny' FTD has been re-pressed at some point. The new press has a larger RCA Victor on the CD label and a few other re-arranged cat numbers. As for the sound and booklet, well can't tell you any differences as I've never had the original FTD press, but it is definitely the original album mess... I mean mix!

the original press-

Site Link: http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/f ... johnny.htm

the repress should be an attachment...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

When In Rome wrote:Okay, sorry to bring this old chestnut up again, but the 'Frankie And Johnny' FTD has been re-pressed at some point. The new press has a larger RCA Victor on the CD label and a few other re-arranged cat numbers. As for the sound and booklet, well can't tell you any differences as I've never had the original FTD press, but it is definitely the original album mess... I mean mix!

the original press-

Site Link: http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/f ... johnny.htm

the repress should be an attachment...

Can you please check if the new re-pressed FTD cd of Frankie and Johnny has re-instated the extended intro on the song Begginer´s Luck?. This was first released on the Double Features cd release of Frankie and Johhny/Paradise Hawaiian Style which is a much better 8) than the master that was first released on the original LPM/LSP-3553 Frankie & Johnny Lp. The first FTD cd release of Frankie & Johnny does not have the extended intro :cry:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/35404525/file.html

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 am

It's the original album mix/master, I'm afraid... No intro - just straight in 'First time I fell In Love....'

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 am

When In Rome wrote:It's the original album mix/master, I'm afraid... No intro - just straight in 'First time I fell In Love....'

Another missed opportunity :cry:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 am

Mike Windgren wrote:
When In Rome wrote:It's the original album mix/master, I'm afraid... No intro - just straight in 'First time I fell In Love....'

Another missed opportunity ...

What exactly was missed?

In this case, the extra is about 0:05 seconds of a nondescript introduction.

You well know that FTD deluxe albums are primarily meant to reflect the LP released at the time.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 am

Does this re-release sound better than the original FTD release? I know they both include the original album masters, but still? I'd buy it if I knew the sound has been improved.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

Another missed opportunity ...

What exactly was missed?

In this case, the extra is about 0:05 seconds of a nondescript introduction.

You well know that FTD deluxe albums are primarily meant to reflect the LP released at the time.

Yes Doc, I´m aware what FTD tries to release but that doesn´t mean that me and many others disagree with some of the decisions taken in the past by FTD :wink:.

When this complete Master was released back in 1994 I was surprised finding out how strange the original LP Master always started. This beautiful 5 seconds intro should have been included on the FTD release in one way or other 8). They could have included it with the outtakes as space was still available on the disc.

Another example of a missed opportunity was that the "Complete Undubbed Merry Christmas Baby" was not included on the FTD release of "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" but that has already been here discussed before in another topic. You stated that it was missing from the original master tapes but we never got an official statement by Ernst Jorgensen that´s why many of us are still upset about this. They could have fixed at least the sound problems of the version of Merry Christmas Baby that was used on the FTD release :roll:.

Things like this would now happen if an official FTD website existed as the FTD team would be aware of the concerns of all the Elvis fans regarding the recording sessions. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I agree. With the recent 'Legacy' re-release of "Aloha" with dialogue and partial introductions left out and no improvement on the original sound, it seems we are going backwards these days.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Does this re-release sound better than the original FTD release? I know they both include the original album masters, but still? I'd buy it if I knew the sound has been improved.

I never had the original press, so I can't say. There's nothing in the book to say it has been remastered, it just credits Lene Reidel (as all the other early FTD soundtracks did) so I'm sorry I can't answer...

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:58 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Another example of a missed opportunity was that the "Complete Undubbed Merry Christmas Baby" was not included on the FTD release of "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" but that has already been here discussed before in another topic. You stated that it was missing from the original master tapes but we never got an official statement by Ernst Jorgensen that´s why many of us are still upset about this. They could have fixed at least the sound problems of the version of Merry Christmas Baby that was used on the FTD release :roll:.

Merry Christmas Baby has been discussed at length. Ernst did offer some comments, revealing that they "probably should have remixed it" (indicating the multi-track is not missing) but then we'd miss out on the "great Eddie Hinton guitar solo" (which is a nonsensical argument since disc 1 of the release contained the album master with the solo anyway).

Basically Ernst commented just to the edge of admitting it was a mistake but not quite taking the leap. Old news now.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:03 am

Tony.. wrote:I agree. With the recent 'Legacy' re-release of "Aloha" with dialogue and partial introductions left out and no improvement on the original sound, it seems we are going backwards these days.

Again, you are off base. Firstly "with dialogue and partial introductions left out" - you cannot leave out what is not present on the original mix tape. Legacy have released the 1973 stereo mix, they have not edited it down further. Secondly "no improvement on the original sound" - the original sound is from the 1973 tape, and it has never sounded better than Anesini's remaster of it. It boggles that you can comment that the original sound is not improved, yet you own neither Complete Masters or the new Legacy Edition. To wit, twit!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 am

Why did they re-release it better mixes?F&J movie version found on tape?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 am

Matthew wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Another example of a missed opportunity was that the "Complete Undubbed Merry Christmas Baby" was not included on the FTD release of "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" but that has already been here discussed before in another topic. You stated that it was missing from the original master tapes but we never got an official statement by Ernst Jorgensen that´s why many of us are still upset about this. They could have fixed at least the sound problems of the version of Merry Christmas Baby that was used on the FTD release :roll:.

Merry Christmas Baby has been discussed at length. Ernst did offer some comments, revealing that they "probably should have remixed it" (indicating the multi-track is not missing) but then we'd miss out on the "great Eddie Hinton guitar solo" (which is a nonsensical argument since disc 1 of the release contained the album master with the solo anyway).

Basically Ernst commented just to the edge of admitting it was a mistake but not quite taking the leap. Old news now.

First of all, thank you for a precise and clear explanation but I was just posting one of the other missed opportunities by the FTD label :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Why did they re-release it better mixes?F&J movie version found on tape?

The original album as featured still has the original album mixes and the F & J movie version is from acetate. Apart from the actual face of the disc itself, I can't personally tell if there is any difference in the sound quality as I didn't have the previous press, and I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone would double dip the FTD 'Frankie and Johnny' just on the strength of that...

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I agree. With the recent 'Legacy' re-release of "Aloha" with dialogue and partial introductions left out and no improvement on the original sound, it seems we are going backwards these days.

Again, you are off base. Firstly "with dialogue and partial introductions left out" - you cannot leave out what is not present on the original mix tape. Legacy have released the 1973 stereo mix, they have not edited it down further. Secondly "no improvement on the original sound" - the original sound is from the 1973 tape, and it has never sounded better than Anesini's remaster of it. It boggles that you can comment that the original sound is not improved, yet you own neither Complete Masters or the new Legacy Edition. To wit, twit!

I hope it still sounds flat, dull and lifeless...just for you! :wink: :smt003

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:46 am

Tony.. wrote:I hope it still sounds flat, dull and lifeless...just for you! :wink: :smt003

I hope in future you will only comment on the sound quality of product you've actually heard. Or better yet, silence is golden!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:18 am

I won Frankie and Johnny FTD on eBay and now have read here that there was a reissue? Mine has copyright 2002 on it, so I assume it is the first issue? What are the differences? Is it worth buying the reissue?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:08 am

I'm still investigating this one after my eBay purchase, and can't find online if the reissue has better sound or any other reason to buy over the one I won?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 am

The only differences I know about are in the artwork on the CD (and maybe in the booklet, logo's etc) unlike the Girl Happy re-issue where new masters were found this, like the re-press of 'Elvis Is Back', just contains the same masters/mixes etc. Out of curiosity I managed to source a copy of the original release :wink: and they sound the same to my ears. Unless you are an uber-completist and need every variation of packaging, personally, I think you'll be alright with what you got. I only ended up with the re-press because it was a bit low on my FTD want list...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I hope it still sounds flat, dull and lifeless...just for you! :wink: :smt003

Or better yet, silence is golden!

Ironic, isn't it ?

Maybe you should take your own advice ... jus sayin' .... :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 pm

It's about time for a third re-issue, using the "Double Features" mixes but re-mastered. Now THAT would be a treat! :D

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

I pulled out my copy of the "Frankie And Johnny" FTD CD tonight. Since I bought it before 2011, I doubt that the disc is a re-pressing, but I do have a bone to pick with the title that nobody in this thread has yet mentioned:

I know I don't have the best eyesight in the world, but I can usually read small print in a well-lit room. But the decision to print certain info on the "In And Outtakes" page with little orange letters against a lavender background has me wondering about comments that the booklet was being "corrected" for unspecified reasons--was it to make the print legible? If I never noticed this problem before, it's probably because I used to rely on the Keith Flynn pages when corroborating session information, and while the booklet appears to contain some take numbers not included in Ernst's 1998 "Complete Recording Sessions" book, I absolutely cannot these tiny orange numbers. At some point, I might try to scan the page, enlarge it on my computer screen, and fiddle with the contrast controls, but sheesh...what a horrible layout decision.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:07 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:It's about time for a third re-issue, using the "Double Features" mixes but re-mastered. Now THAT would be a treat! :D

How about a 4th and 5th re-issue within the next 10 years for a super-duper treat?