Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.
Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:17 am
What songs do you think Elvis should have sung (but didn't) live in the 70s?
I look forward to any replies or any opinions about my choices.
My choices are:
1. It's Only Love (one of my favourite 70s Elvis songs and definitely one of the best from 1971. I prefer it to I'm Leaving. Why on earth did Elvis not sing this gem on stage???)
2. Always On My Mind (today it's regarded as one of Elvis' biggest hits. Perhaps Elvis felt it too personal or too sad?)
3. Too Much (one of Elvis' biggest hits from the 50s and it would suit his 70s vocal style. I can imagine James Burton would have had fun with this one!)
4. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You (one of Elvis' best ballads and a big hit)
5. Good Luck Charm (Elvis performed very few songs he recorded in the 60s in his 70s concerts. This would have been perfect for 70s Elvis.)
6. Swing Down Sweet Chariot (one of Elvis' best gospel songs. Would have sounded great with either The Imperials or The Stamps)
7. Guitar Man (TCB have been playing it regularly in their modern Elvis In Concert tour and it sounds fantastic. Pity Elvis never chose to do it)
8. Charro (one of my favourite 60s movie songs. I think it could have sounded great if Elvis had performed it in his 1969 Vegas engagement)
9. Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees or If I get Home On Christmas Day (Elvis should have sung at least one song from The Wonderful World Of Christmas during his 1971 November tour to promote the album. These two are my favourites and I think would have sounded good live.)
10. Separate Ways (a really beautiful song. Sounds great on the FTD January 25 1973 rehearsal CD. Pity he didn't choose to perform it in the end.)
Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 am
Baby lets play house
Good rocking tonight
Hard headed woman
A mess of blues
I feel so bad
(Marie's the name) his latest flame
(You're the) Devil in disguise
Crying in the chapel
I washed my hands in muddy water
It's your baby you rock it
It's only love
Always on my mind
I've got a thing about you baby
For the heart
Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:26 pm
Great list! Good Rocking Tonight, I Feel So Bad and Surrender certainly are superb songs but I think 70s Elvis would have struggled to hit those high notes!
Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 pm
He did a oneliner of Surrender during the Tahoe 1974 season..
Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:26 am
Wearin That Loved On Look
Always On My Mind
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
If I Can Dream
You Don't Know Me
Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:48 pm
City by night
viva las vegas
i wish he would have done some easy listening too.
Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:19 pm
Love Will Keep Us Together
Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
You Light Up My Life
I Haven't Got Time For The Pain
Fire & Rain
Gypsies, Tramps & Thieives
Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:33 pm
Another Jerry Reed original...US Male and Chuck Berry's Too much monkey business. Promised Land.