Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

1971 Tahoe - opinions, information, soundboards

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

The Elvis period that I'm most interested in is July/August Tahoe 1971. It's amazing how there's so little information about it and just a handful of pictures. I've heard people claiming that these 1971 Tahoe concerts were as good as the 1969 Vegas ones and some of the best he ever performed. The reasons why this is my favourite Elvis period are: I love those two piece cisco kid suits Elvis wore for this engagement, the set-lists are the best I've seen for an Elvis concert , vocally Elvis is at his best and he seems to be really enjoying his time there. In my opinion the concerts have a perfect balance between fooling around and professional, serious performances. The Jailhouse Rocks are the best I've heard. They have the powerful drums of the 1976/7 versions yet Elvis is at his best vocally whereas I always think that Elvis sang fast songs with a high, nasal voice in 76/77. There are also songs that Elvis sang rarely like My Babe/This Train, Treat Me Nice, I Just Can't Help Believing, I Was The One, Snowbird and I John that were performed in Tahoe. All 3 audience recordings are fantastic concerts although in pretty bad sound. What does everybody else think about Elvis' performances in Tahoe 1971? Any information would also be welcome.

I think that Elvis was for the first time bored in the January/February 1971 Vegas engagement. The fact that in the Jan 28 DS Elvis says he doesn't want to sing There Goes My Everything when he's only sung it once so far that engagement and that there doesn't seem to be a set song-list like there was for all the other engagements (instead Elvis just picks whatever he wants and the band have to be ready) reflect this boredom. In the Vegas engagement August/September 1971 Elvis sounds bored and for the first time in his career (I think) sings with a weak voice. The Tahoe engagement comes in between and is by far the best of the three.

I have always hoped that at least one soundboard for Tahoe 1971 would be released. I've seen pictures of the tape box for the soundboard of the July 24 MS but nothing's ever been released. Does anyone know if there is a soundboard for Tahoe 1971? Also, if there is a soundboard for August/September 1971?

Re: 1971 Tahoe - opinions, information, soundboards

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm

The tape box is a fake.

Elvis was in Tahoe always better than in Vegas the respective years. He loved and enjoyed the more private atmsosphere
there. Pity that we don`t have more audio from this time....love it..

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The tape box is a fake.

Elvis was in Tahoe always better than in Vegas the respective years. He loved and enjoyed the more private atmsosphere
there. Pity that we don`t have more audio from this time....love it..

How do you know the tape box is a fake?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Because I was told so..I even know the faker..no names..of course..

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Because I was told so..I even know the faker..no names..of course..

Wow!! I never knew that. Good to know.