Off Topic Messages

Saw Dick Dale last night!

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Last night I saw Dick Dale in Tivoli, Utrecht (the Netherlands). I admire the guy for a number of reasons so I would have been happy just to see him. The performance he gave however blew me away. No set list he just does what he likes and the bass and drums have to find out themsleves how they keep up. Sometimes it was chaos but all the time it was pure fun. Not an old man but a veteran just doing what he wants to do without bull sh*t.

We can discuss music at length on boards like this but concerts like the one Dick Dale gave are the real deal to enjoy music. On you tube are some clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdSdU1GytE

Re: Saw Dick Dale last night!

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Dick?
What kind of name it is? :lol:
Last edited by Johanesson on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 am

Yr damn right, Buddy. One of the greatest legends still around, and his shows are real, unpredictable, riding-the-edge explosions of loud, intense rock and roll.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 am

Dick Dale is one of the last true rockers from an almost forgotten era!

T

P.S. Johanesson, that's just tacky and rather immature. :roll:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:09 am

Must say he is 8) ......never knew about him until I saw the 1960 Marilyn Monroe movie "Let`s make love" in which he had a tiny roll as an Elvis Presley impersonater.(Wonder if they actually tried to hire Elvis himself for the role in the first place.....and got a "NO" from Parker...hmmm.)

I got a kick out of watching this clip from Ed Sullivan show

phpBB [video]

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 am

I’ve also seen Dick Dale, but my impressions were not as favorable as yours. This was at the Paradiso in the mid ’90s. The concert was incredibly loud, in fact my ears were hurting afterwards. Musically, I felt that he was mostly just showing off his tricks, and to me he came across as one-dimensional and ultimately a bit dull. He also seemed to have an enormous ego, and this to me was a bit off-putting. Around that time, I read several interviews with him which confirmed my impressions; he was constantly singing his own praises at the expense of others (said that he’d seen Eddie Cochran and that it was “nothing – I do ‘Summertime Blues’ much better and ballsier than Cochran ever did”)… not a very charming trait in my book.
I saw Link Wray twice around the same time, and I enjoyed him far more. Yes, there were lots of guitar pyrotechnics but the show also had so much more, including a genuinely beautiful ‘I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You)’ sung with great warmth by Link. You could hear a pin drop when he did that one. Link came across as a really cool guy, very humble and in my opinion he communicated far better with the audience than Dale did.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 pm

I saw Link Wray in concert in 2000, and he did "As Long As I Have You".