Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD - American Sound Alternates Vol 3?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 pm

In my opinion, the only right way to treat the remaining American tracks is to include them on Change of Habit, killing two birds with one stone.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I think with next year being the 45th anniversary of the Memphis sessions there will be a mainstream release like the Stax set with previously released outtakes. Or maybe they'll wait for the 50th Anniversary :D
As for the leftovers for an FTD release I think with some/most fans saying they'd like the Camden albums upgraded to cover the outtakes then that's the way it'll go. I remember buying the Camden LPs & it would be nice to see them upgraded but I would like a 3rd "classic album" from the 69 sessions.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Nah leave the American sound sessions and Change of habit together not a camden ftd.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:23 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:If or when they do, I sure hope they include the correct original stereo mix of Kentucky Rain, not the alternate version they've used since 1993. The original stereo mix master can be found on the 45 RPM or on Elvis Gold Records Vol.5 (original pressing)

The 45rpm was a mono mix and I am not convinced the stereo mix that appeared on GRVol.5 was the unreleased 1969 stereo mix, but rather a stereo mix made for the 1984 release. Ernst has stated before that the version released in 1993 was the 1969 stereo mix.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 pm

skatterbrane wrote:So the strings being more prominent on the stereo mix of Kentucky Rain bothers you then? I do not remember when Kentucky Rain was first mixed in stereo. It seems that most of the 69 and later singles that were in mono have a very different mix than most of the stereo versions. You'll Think Of Me was the first one that really stuck out with me back in 1970 with the Back In Memphis LP.

The strings are one thing but also on many the stereo releases, including 1999's Suspicious Minds, the stereo mix is shortened in the fade out by 3-4 seconds.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Well I just received Gold Vol 5 today. (I already had the expanded version) and I agree Kentucky Rain IS better on the original CD. Another that really sticks out is If You Talk In Your Sleep. The one on the original Gold Vol 5 CD blows the expanded CD's version away. I am also digging the older pressing's If I Can Dream.

Has Golden Records Vol 1 ever been updated with the new 2005 masters? (especially Heartbreak Hotel)

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 pm

So basically, if you want the best mastered version of every song ever put on CD, you pretty much have to buy every damned issue of each CD title that has ever come out. To tell you the truth, I really like Kentucky Rain and Any Day Now on The Memphis Record.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 am

Way Down mix is totally different too.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:30 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Imo, the Memphis '69 sessions at American should get a box-set treatment from FTD or Sony/Legacy, it certainly deserves to be.

I remember wondering if FTD was planning a boxed set, for no better reason than so much of the '69 material was conspicuously absent from the FTD catalog up until last year. I also found it curious that FTD's "Back In Memphis" did not include the take of "You'll Think Of Me" that was on the "Suspicious Minds" CD single--again, were they holding some stuff back in anticipation of a future title?

I really enjoyed FTD's "Back In Memphis"; I have "From Elvis In Memphis", but have only played it once, as I'm enjoying my annual summer chronological trip through the Presley catalog, and am only up to 1964. Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to get out all of these discs and really sink my teeth into those classic sessions.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 pm

I would prefer a what-if-album (2 CDs in the usual FTD-format) concentrating on the Memphis sessions alone; something like this:

Memphis No 3

CD 1

Suspicious Minds (undubbed without fadeout/fadein)
My Little Friend
If I'm A Fool
Hey Jude
Mama Liked The Roses

Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
Rubberneckin'
I'll Be There
Who Am I

bonus:
This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You
Poor Man's Gold (backing track with vocal fragment inserted)
Come Out, Come Out (backing track)
Memory Revival (backing track)

first takes

CD 2
outtakes

space perimitting, the following songs could be included, as to my knowldege they have been overdubbed at American Sound Studios:
Clean Up Your Own Backyard (overdubbed version)
Swing Down Sweet Chariot (overdubbed version)
Almost (overdubbed version)

IMO the late 60's movie soundtracks should best be included on FTD-versions (1 CD for each album) of Let's Be Friends/Almost In Love/You'll Never Walk Alone. This would lead to some duplication and would not give us complete sessions, but contentwise FTD has never given priority to complete sessions, but to complete albums.

If Tickle Me was fit for a stand alone FTD release, then surely the above mentioned Camden albums are worth that treatment as well.
Peter

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Peter66, to release Camden albums on FTD is a stupendiously bad idea. They don't belong there at all. The main purpose of the classic album series is to make masters and outtakes available for the fans, not budget albums and crap like Hits of the '70s. There is a logical place for Tickle Me, because it fills a gap in the soundtrack series. For the same reason, the remaining American tracks must be included on Change of Habit, a soundtrack from which there are hardly any outtakes. "Rubberneckin'" is an American song that for some reason was put in the movie. It's only reasonable to add the rest of those American sessions to this soundtrack, making it possible to release it as a stand-alone CD. Every single soundtrack should be released as a separate title, even Charro!, despite the fact that it contains only two songs. Just add the two stand-up shows and you have a perfectly fine CD.

It's a disgrace if, God forbid, FTD start releasing Camden albums. If they release one, they should release them all. Do we really need Elvis Sings Hits from His Movies? I don't think so.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 pm

No I don't need "Sings Hits From His Movies," but I would like to have the Camden title "C'mon Everybody" on cd along with Elvis' Christmas Album ('70) with the original cover. Then I'd be a happy camper. I don't care where they're released. I just want them.
Get off your collective arse, Sony.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 pm

JerryNodak wrote:No I don't need "Sings Hits From His Movies," but I would like to have the Camden title "C'mon Everybody" on cd along with Elvis' Christmas Album ('70) with the original cover. Then I'd be a happy camper. I don't care where they're released. I just want them.

For some bizarre reason, those were the only two original Camden albums not released by Sony. Obviously, they belong on the mainstream market with the other eight in that series. Why do they start something they can't finish?

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm

JerryNodak wrote:No I don't need "Sings Hits From His Movies," but I would like to have the Camden title "C'mon Everybody" on cd along with Elvis' Christmas Album ('70) with the original cover. Then I'd be a happy camper. I don't care where they're released. I just want them.

I would not need and not buy that either, whatever the format (albeit I own Separate Ways CD simply because of the cover :oops: )
C'mon Everybody isn't really needed in any format IMO; maybe a "new" what-if-album containing the early 60s movie songs, that have only been released on EPs back then. Just for over-completeness sake... at least it would be a better listening experience than the short-of-songs FTD versions (as great as they are to have)
The '70 Christams album could be a 2 FTD together with it's 50s original counterpart. As there are not much outtakes available, this could make a nice FTD set for (over)completness sake. For sentimental reasons I have a soft spot for the 70s-version. Btw, the 70s Camden album was due to come out on import last Christmas, but somehow failed to reach it's aim, as it did not contain the promised contents. Instead of concentrating on the 60s songs plus adding the 68 version of Blue Christmas, it just became a hotchpotch Christmas album with a nostalgic cover.

Ken, to combine Charro with the Stand Up Shows seems quite bizarre to me.

Personally I would prefer the late sixties movie soundtracks on the mentioned Camden CDs. I would not like to have a single CD with say 50 takes of Charro and Let's Forget About the Stars, or a CD full of all takes of The Wiffenproof Song. But everyone is free to have his own preferences. Time will show, what FTD will release.

Peter

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Peter66 wrote:Ken, to combine Charro with the Stand Up Shows seems quite bizarre to me.

Peter

I definitely agree. It's just one example of how to make an album out of that soundtrack. Another one is Elvis Sings Charro! and Other Movie Songs, using left-over outtakes from other movies.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Sony MUST release C'mon Everybody NOW!!!! As well as the following:

Elvis Christmas Album
For LP Fans Only
A Date With Elvis
It Happened At The World's Fair
Kissin' Cousins
Elvis For Everyone
Harum Scarum
Paradise, Hawaiian Style
Spinout
Double Trouble
Speedway

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Peter66 wrote:Personally I would prefer the late sixties movie soundtracks on the mentioned Camden CDs. I would not like to have a single CD with say 50 takes of Charro and Let's Forget About the Stars, or a CD full of all takes of The Wiffenproof Song. But everyone is free to have his own preferences. Time will show, what FTD will release.

I'd personally prefer FTD to collect all of Elvis' '68 soundtrack recordings [expanded with supplementary alternate material] together in one cohesive package.
This would free up the Change Of Habit material to add some extra punch and variety to the remaining '69 Memphis tracks... as well as providing a bridge between respective sessions with the key track "Rubberneckin'."

A Little More Action! - Triple '68 Feature

1. A Little Less Conversation
2. Edge Of Reality
3. Almost In Love
4. Wonderful World
5. Charro
6. Let's Forget About The Stars
7. Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
8. Swing Down Sweet Chariot
9. Signs Of The Zodiac
10. The Whiffenpoof Song
11. Violet
12. Almost

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Few questions regarding the FTD and Legacy edition releases of the American studio sessions:
1) Are the remasters on the FTD done by Sebastian Jeansson or Vic Anesini or both? I found the credits on these CD's a little confusing...
2) Are they the same masters heard on TCM and the Legacy Edition of From Elvis In Memphis?
3) Are the other American Studio session 2007 remasters like Mama Liked The Roses, Who Am I, I'll Be There, etc... available on TCM??
4) Are the undubbed masters (which sound incredible on the 2 FTD's) of Mama Liked The Roses, Who Am I, Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy, etc... available on any official releases?

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Has Golden Records Vol 1 ever been updated with the new 2005 masters? (especially Heartbreak Hotel)

When you say 2005 do you mean the March 2007 remasters? Or were they also remastered in 2005?

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Has Golden Records Vol 1 ever been updated with the new 2005 masters? (especially Heartbreak Hotel)

When you say 2005 do you mean the March 2007 remasters? Or were they also remastered in 2005?

Well I guess I am asking, since Gold vols 2,3 and 4 all have updated mastering, has Golden Vol 1 ever been updated with the Vic Asenini masters?

Actually my 2005 Vol 2 has the single version of Doncha Think Its Time and the take 4 (not spliced) version of A Big Hunk of Love. I wonder if the more recent 2009 edition has corrected this?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 am

skatterbrane wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Well I guess I am asking, since Gold vols 2,3 and 4 all have updated mastering, has Golden Vol 1 ever been updated with the Vic Asenini masters?

Actually my 2005 Vol 2 has the single version of Doncha Think Its Time and the take 4 (not spliced) version of A Big Hunk of Love. I wonder if the more recent 2009 edition has corrected this?

I've never heard of the Gold Records Volumes being re-issued in 2009... are they still available?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 am

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 2C+Vol.+2+

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:28 am

I look forward to hearing ALL outtakes, False Starts, alternate splices, and alternate overdubbings of "Hey Jude", "My Little Friend", and Mama Liked The Roses. Btw, on what cd releases can the original and correct, "Wonder of You" be found?

TCB-Fan wrote, ".........The sad thing is that Ernst has not fixed the problem some 20 years later. The same can be said with "The Wonder Of You" on some of the compilations...(ie : Second To None, #1's, etc....)TCB-Fan wrote, ......."

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 am

monkboughtlunch wrote: does anyone know how FTD plans to issue the remaining alternate takes and remixed pre-overdub masters of the American Sound songs not included on the FEIM and BIM FTDs?

Wouldn't you really need to ask if there are any members here at FECC that are employees, or affiliated with Sony/FTD, who would really know, and have a correct answer due to their employment with the company in question ?

Or are you meaning if anyone here is a physic, such as those who can see into the future like palm reading and the such, so that they can tell you what FTD's future plans are through their paranormal energy, because I don't see any other option to have your topic answered correctly any other way.

If you get a correct response without one of the 2 options I have stated above, please see if you can acquire the Powerball numbers for next weeks drawing for me please. thanks in advance?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:In my opinion, the only right way to treat the remaining American tracks is to include them on Change of Habit, killing two birds with one stone.

Interesting concept...

drjohncarpenter wrote:One imagines such a scattershot release, despite the superlative nature of the 1969 Memphis sessions, will be akin to scraping the bottom of the barrel. These outtakes were passed over for a reason.

Yeah, 'Kentucky Rain' was such a s**t song that the outtakes are not worth releasing!
Same as all the other "boring stuff" Elvis recorded at the 1969 Memphis sessions - "akin to scraping the bottom of the barrel"!!! :wtf:

Cheers,
Piers