Davide

Commercial Appeal photo archive

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Here are some highlights from the images section of the The Commercial Appeal website,some rare,but what's nice is the captions,the photographer credits and dates that come with some of them - look here for some more great photo's : http://www.commercialappeal.com/photos/archive/

PHOTO BY BOB WILLIAMS/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL Maid of Cotton Patricia Cowden (left) and Memphis Cotton Carnival Queen Clare Mallory gave Elvis Presley royal kisses just before the rock and roll singer walked on stage before a packed Ellis Auditorium audience on the night of May 15, 1956.

PHOTO BY BOB WILLIAMS/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL More than 7,000 people jammed Ellis Auditorium on the night of May 15, 1956, to stomp, shudder, shriek and sigh as a young Elvis Presley writhed his way through a rock and roll repertoire. Presley was the blockbuster of Bob Neal's Cotton Picking Jamboree, a feature of Cotton Carnival opening night.

Elvis Presley signs autographs for dancers in "Stars Over Dixie" at the Mid-South Fair Sept. 29, 1956. "Stars over Dixie" was a Broadway extravaganza booked for the fair in honor of its centennial anniversary.

ImageImage
PHOTO BY BOB WILLIAMS/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL Elvis Presley in a Memphis city court on Oct. 19, 1956, along with Gulf service station employees Edd Hopper (left) and Aubrey Brown. The trio had a fight the previous night when Elvis pulled into the station at Gayoso and Second for repairs and was besieged by fans. Hopper, the station manager, ordered Presley away and a brief altercation ensued. All three were booked for assault and battery and disorderly conduct. Charges against Presley were dismissed. Hopper and Brown both had to pay fines.

PHOTO BY BOB WILLIAMS/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL Yvonne Lime, Hollywood starlet, and Elvis Presley looked lovey-dovey at each other on April 19, 1957, in front of Graceland, Elvis' new $100,000 mansion near Whitehaven. Miss Lime, who was visiting for the Easter holidays, had a small part in "Loving You," Elvis' second motion picture which premiered July 9 of that year. Production had begun in mid-January and wrapped by mid-March.

PHOTO BY TOM BARBER, MEMPHIS PRESS-SCIMITAR/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL An unidentified woman approached Elvis Presley at Goodfellows headquarters Dec. 16, 1957, with a request: "Elvis, please autograph my arm!" Elvis was at the headquarters to present the Press-Scimitar Goodfellows with 100 brand new $10 bills. Elvis let it be known that the Goodfellows had played Santa Claus for him seven years earlier. "Our family had it pretty rough that year," he recalled. "The Goodfellows made my Christmas for me."*

PHOTO BY BILL LEAPTROTT, MEMPHIS PRESS-SCIMITAR/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL FILES Eight-year-old Mary Kosloski had a date with Elvis Presley Jan. 8, 1958, and he kept her waiting for more than two hours. The Collierville girl, who was the national March of Dimes poster child in 1955, seemed to forgive all when Elvis appeared and told her: "If you were 10 years older, honey, I wouldn't let you go." The pair were photographed with teddy bears and pandas Elvis was sending to the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis for auction during an upcoming fund drive.

Gary Player gives some golf pointers to Evlis Presley on the Paramount set of "Blue Hawaii" in 1961. Producer Hal Wallis slated a screen test for the golfer later that year. Player was leaving May 9 for Fort Worth to get ready for the Colonial Tournament. (UPI)

Elvis Presley on a go cart racing up the driveway of Graceland October 12, 1965. ( By Saul Brown, Memphis Press-Scimitar / The Commercial Appeal files)

PHOTO BY CHARLES NICHOLAS/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL Elvis Presley posed with one of his cars outside Graceland in this photograph published March 7, 1965, in the first issue of Mid-South, the now-defunct Sunday magazine of The Commercial Appeal. Elvis complained of the long sessions with photographers making movie publicity stills: "I try to cut the time down to three or four hours, but sometimes you have to pose for six or eight. A man only has so many different smiles, and I don't have many."

Elvis Presley during a March 20, 1974 concert at Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis. Elvis ended a 15 city tour with three performances in his hometown on the 16, 17th and Wednesday night, the 20th, before a crowd of 12,300. ( By Jim Shearin / The Commercial Appeal )

A Memphis policeman carries away a young woman trying to reach the hearse bearing the body of rock and roll star Elvis Presley during the funeral procession to Forest Hill Cemetery on Aug. 18, 1977. Thousands lined the route for the final farewell.

*Another photo can be found here - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33494&hilit=Goodfellows

Davide
Last edited by davide on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Commercial Appeal photo archive

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:10 pm

THanks Davide

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Thank you very much, some new (to me) photos :smt006

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Great stuff once again davide!!
never seen the '74 Memphis pic before,
would make a cool screensaver!

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Here is another From G.I. Blues set uncropped

Elvis Presley entertains King Mehendra and Queen Ratna of Nepal on a movie set in Los Angeles, Calif., 1960. The royal couple plan to visit Disneyland today, go to El Segundo tomorrow to see refinery. (Los Angeles Times photographic archive, UCLA Library)

Publication: Los Angeles Times
Publication date: Wed., May 11, 1960

Davide

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:15 pm

cool pix Davide. Some of them I've never seen.

Here is another from the day with Mary Kosloski

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:28 am

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:42 am

Great pictures indeed...and even better with the info going with them. Thank you so much Davide!

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Wow ! some are new to me
the one from 12.10 1965 with the Go car racing at Graceland
:lol: Cool
Thank you Davide for those amazing pictures
Sincerely
Lior :smt006

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Here is a nice candid that I found on ebay which I have cleaned up as best as possible,Elvis in the back of his Rolls Royce around the time of the making of Girls!Girls!Girls! May/June 1962 I guess? Image

Davide

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:03 pm

davide wrote:Here is a nice candid that I found on ebay which I have cleaned up as best as possible,Elvis in the back of his Rolls Royce around the time of the making of Girls!Girls!Girls! May/June 1962 I guess? Image

Davide

Thats a beautiful candid :)
Thank you very much DAVIDE
sincerely
Lior B.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:39 pm

davide wrote:Here is a nice candid that I found on ebay which I have cleaned up as best as possible,Elvis in the back of his Rolls Royce around the time of the making of Girls!Girls!Girls! May/June 1962 I guess?

Same car, same hat, different shirt.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:40 pm

The other who(which) looks like the meme in the daytime but the shirt is not the meme

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Another one from January 8, 1958:

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:18 am

he kept her waiting for more than two hours.

Let's hope this is inaccurate.

Mary certainly deserved more consideration than that.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 am

Found this from Mary Kosloski's daughter about the photo

My mom, Mary Kosloski, was eight years old when this picture was taken on the front steps
of Graceland. She'd been waiting two hours for Elvis to wake up from his nap. And,
finally when he descended the steps from his bedroom, she was in heaven. Mom was the
1955 March of Dimes poster child. And, after this photo shoot, Elvis said, "If you were
ten years older, Honey, I wouldn't let you go."
January 8, 1958

Click on this link for some photo's you might recognise ! http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pic ... ary_8.html

Davide

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:35 pm

davide wrote:
Click on this link for some photo's you might recognise ! http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pic ... ary_8.html

Davide

And not even a nod. LOL! He strikes again.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for posting... 8)

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:07 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:Click on this link for some photo's you might recognise ! http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/1958_january_8.html

Davide

That site steals content from every other Elvis-related site. Shameless!

Each heading should read:
Welcome to Elvis Presley.com.au : For Elvis Fans Only - Your one stop page to everything that we can rip off on the web!

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:15 pm

STUNNING pics all the same.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:Click on this link for some photo's you might recognise ! http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/1958_january_8.html

Davide

That site steals content from every other Elvis-related site. Shameless!

Each heading should read:
Welcome to Elvis Presley.com.au : For Elvis Fans Only - Your one stop page to everything that we can rip off on the web!

I agree 100 %. Elvis in Australia should be ashamed. They rip their content from FECC and other websites (incl. the text) and in most cases they do no credit the source, but cheaply credit themselves for the hard work other people did. This is also the reason why some people no longer upload their rare photos and watermark their photos. Sad but true...

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:50 pm

The picture of Elvis holding up the girl is my scan from my book. 8)

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Excellent photos :)

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 am

Meeting Elvis Presley in 1956: Awesome!
Working on Elvis Presley's car & chit-chatting with him in 1956: Incredible!
Getting your ass handed to you by Elvis Presley in 1956: PRICELESS!!!!!

I LOVE this photo.

There's no doubt by the look on his face, that Elvis would've dropped the gloves again, but this time in front of His Honer in the Memphis Court Room! Love it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.