Davide

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:17 am

Wow, Thank you davide.

Great job!!

::rocks :smt006

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 pm

STUNNING as always!

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 am

No big deal, but the picture labeled "Los Angeles In The 50's" shows a white rear-engine Chevrolet Corvair sitting on the right hand side of the picture. This car first hit the streets in 1960.

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:31 am

The July 2, 1956 demo of "I Ain't a-Studyin' You, Baby" that Steve Sholes recommended to Elvis for recording was actually one of Don Gibson's early recordings for MGM just before joining RCA. It is available on Gibson's 1st Bear Family boxset.

Also, 2 of the other demos that were recommended for that same session - "I'll Be True" and "Beatin Round The Mulberry Bush" - both of these had been recorded by Bill Haley & His Saddlemen on Essex Records in the early 1950s just before they were re-named the Comets.

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 am

rotis wrote:No big deal, but the picture labeled "Los Angeles In The 50's" shows a white rear-engine Chevrolet Corvair sitting on the right hand side of the picture. This car first hit the streets in 1960.

JamesVRoy already noted the photo on page 1.

rotis wrote:The July 2, 1956 demo of "I Ain't a-Studyin' You, Baby" that Steve Sholes recommended to Elvis for recording was actually one of Don Gibson's early recordings for MGM just before joining RCA. It is available on Gibson's 1st Bear Family boxset.

Also, 2 of the other demos that were recommended for that same session - "I'll Be True" and "Beatin Round The Mulberry Bush" - both of these had been recorded by Bill Haley & His Saddlemen on Essex Records in the early 1950s just before they were re-named the Comets.

Interesting information. Sholes clearly had his finger on the pulse of young America in 1956.

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:09 am

its sad they didnt save all the session reels .were they erased on tossed?

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:34 am

rotis wrote:The July 2, 1956 demo of "I Ain't a-Studyin' You, Baby" that Steve Sholes recommended to Elvis for recording was actually one of Don Gibson's early recordings for MGM just before joining RCA. It is available on Gibson's 1st Bear Family boxset.

Also, 2 of the other demos that were recommended for that same session - "I'll Be True" and "Beatin Round The Mulberry Bush" - both of these had been recorded by Bill Haley & His Saddlemen on Essex Records in the early 1950s just before they were re-named the Comets.


Thanks for that, interesting info.

I have corrected the location still at the start of the topic (thanks James) - Also I have obtained a photo, which I have identified as being from these sessions, unseen before..certainly on this topic.

Davide

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Awesome post!

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Image

Davide

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:04 pm

I remember reading that Col. Parker was upset that RCA had released all twelve tracks from Elvis' first LP on 45 rpm and 78 rpm in August 1956 (just a few months after that album had had been released). He was obviously trying to assure that that never happened again.

MT

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Fantastic post, many many thanks Davide

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:10 pm

I will never forget buying my first purchase of a "current" Elvis recording at that time - "Too Much". (I had bought a new 78 record of "Milk Cow Blues Boogie" around that same time but it was of course a couple of years old then). The record was also a 78 rpm and I had to ride my bike downtown to the local record store to get it. What makes it also stand out in my mind is that I dropped the bag that the record was in on the way home and cracked the record. Thank God, I didn't actually break it so I took a piece of masking tape (I think we used that stuff in the fall of 56) and taped over the crack on the "Playing For Keeps" side which minimized the noise of the needle playing over the crack which was actually most of the song. My record play then only played that one speed but even playing that cracked record was heaven!

Re: Inside the 1956 September 1-3 Recording Sessions

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm

rotis wrote:I will never forget buying my first purchase of a "current" Elvis recording at that time - "Too Much". (I had bought a new 78 record of "Milk Cow Blues Boogie" around that same time but it was of course a couple of years old then). The record was also a 78 rpm and I had to ride my bike downtown to the local record store to get it. What makes it also stand out in my mind is that I dropped the bag that the record was in on the way home and cracked the record. Thank God, I didn't actually break it so I took a piece of masking tape (I think we used that stuff in the fall of 56) and taped over the crack on the "Playing For Keeps" side which minimized the noise of the needle playing over the crack which was actually most of the song. My record play then only played that one speed but even playing that cracked record was heaven!



Nice reminence, It's good to hear stories like this from a fellow fan (about my age) from the country where it all (rock'n'roll) started.