March 1957 Memphis photos (magazine article)

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 am

16 magazine, July 1957

"Elvis´ Hollywood Diary"
by Robert Johnson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: March 1957 Memphis photos (magazine article)

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 am

More...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 am

And the last page...

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 am

Another article from the same magazine...

Elvis vs. Belafonte

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 am

And the last page...

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:42 am

Another article from this magazine. Only partly about Elvis, but Barbara was his girlfriend, so...

Barbara´s Corner: Letters and Answers

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 am

And last, and the least...

A page from the article
Love Those Guys: Elvis, Pat, Tab, Belafonte

And a full page ad for an all Elvis magazine.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 am

Thank you, the Fool - I so look forward to these postings!

Much appreciated.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Thank you very much, the Fool .

Mississippi

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Awesome.
Thanks for posting it/them.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:36 pm

What a wonderful surprise.
I´ve been looking for this magazine because I was told there were some great stories and photos in it. And I wasn´t disappointed.

I´m in doubt with the "fact" that the photos of Elvis climbing his fence to get in at night are from when he came back from Hollywood on March 18, 1957 because there is a photo in the March 19 issue of the Memphis paper showing him getting off the train wearing a white jacket. But the photos are most likely from the week he was home before he went out on his tour .

Some photos however can be dated now.
The three small photos as well as the top left one (all on page 36) are all from the night of March 22, 1957.
page36.jpg

Here is a photo from Memphis Press Scimitar, March 23, 1957. As you can see this is the same view as the second photo above.
570323-MPS-pg3-bripet56.jpg

And here we have the third of the small photos above.
570322-Memphis-01.jpg

And this one from the same date. The copy in the magazine is reversed as are a couple others.
570322-Memphis-05.jpg

The photo os Elvis trying on the stetson (page 36) was taken the same day (March 19, 1957) as the one showing him in his gold lame suit (which is reversed in the magazine).
The "stetson" photo shows Elvis´ reflection in the mirror. Here is the uncropped photo from the Press Scimitar of March 20, 1957
570319-Audubon-01-bripet56.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
Last edited by bripet56 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 am

Wow, now this is what i call an wonderful magazine :smt007 Many great photos, and many new to me - i will read the pages tomorrow, becouse i'm very tired now, hard day at work.
What can i say, a BIG thank you very much :smt006

And thank you very much, Brian, for all the informations and dates, great to finally see these photos dated.
Can you upload again the photo 570319-Audubon-01-bripet56.tif - i can't see it, maibe becouse it's tif, not jpeg, i don't know.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm

The photos of Elvis climbing his fence MAY be from Jan 4th '57, after Presley had his pre induction physical at Kennedy Veteran's hospital and before he boarded the train (that same evening) enroute to New York City, for his third (and last) TV performance on the Ed Sullivan Show!

Mississippi

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm

The fool wrote:More...

The telephone photo looks as if it might have been shot in the area in front of the first floor bedroom, opposite the staircase.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:30 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Awesome. A lot of the closeups look like they might be crops from other photos that have made the rounds. There's a few though that look unfamiliar to me.
Thanks for posting it/them.

I think I got this thread confused with the 101 pictures thread and commented in the wrong one about the crops. I'll edit my intial post to just express my thanks.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Wow, now this is what i call an wonderful magazine :smt007 Many great photos, and many new to me - i will read the pages tomorrow, becouse i'm very tired now, hard day at work.
What can i say, a BIG thank you very much :smt006

And thank you very much, Brian, for all the informations and dates, great to finally see these photos dated.
Can you upload again the photo 570319-Audubon-01-bripet56.tif - i can't see it, maibe becouse it's tif, not jpeg, i don't know.

Yeah, I too was thrilled to be able to date these photos. We have had some of them for a long time and always thought they were from out in Hollywood.
I´ve replaced the tif-photo so hopefully you can see it now.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Mississippi wrote:The photos of Elvis climbing his fence MAY be from Jan 4th '57, after Presley had his pre induction physical at Kennedy Veteran's hospital and before he boarded the train (that same evening) enroute to New York City, for his third (and last) TV performance on the Ed Sullivan Show!

Mississippi

I doubt they are from January 4 as Elvis wore different clothes on that day. At least to the exam.
Well, we´ll solve that question sometime too.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 pm

I just noticed that the September issue of 16 Magazine would be for sale at newsstands on (Tuesday) July 9, that would probably mean that this issue (July) would be for sale on (Tuesday) May 7, 1957.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:29 pm

This is the V-neck shirt that Elvis wore when he climbed the fence in the above article.
57-Loving You-08.jpg

And this is the one he wore on page 42 above as well as in the story Elvis vs Belafonte. I guess this prooves once and for all that those photos are not from around Christmas 1956 but indeed from March 1957.
57-Loving You-17.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

Thank you "The Fool" for your time to upload this for us all to see, you are such a great asset to FECC! :smt023

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 pm

I didn't know there were four garages in the back of Graceland.
Did Elvis use these at first ?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Audubon was Garageland.

Thanks to The fool for sharing with us. These are fun, and often informative.