The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:28 am

This eight page article appeared in the December 1956 issue of True Story magazine. I found this interview by Jules Archer very interesting, and Elvis´ answers well thought out and intelligent. Hey, maybe he wasn´t just a dumb boy from Tennessee after all. So, here is:

Special Feature
ELVIS PRESLEY
in an exclusive, intimate interview
"Stop Hounding Teenagers!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:29 am

pages 5-8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:44 am

Quite a lengthy and intelligent interview!

It's no surprise, as Archer went on to craft several well-regarded books on U.S. history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Archer

Too bad he didn't do one on Elvis. He died about a year ago, at the age of 93, in Scotts Valley, CA.

Thanks for posting this.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:03 am

The fool wrote: Hey, maybe he wasn´t just a dumb boy from Tennessee after all.


That's true, because he came from Mississippi instead :wink:

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Thank you very much, great article :smt006

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Great interview ! One of the best thngs regarding Elvis I've ever read. And what a treat that he brings it all (!!) backhome near the end when he totally relaxed mentions that christians, jews, blacks and whites are all the same to hm. To say this in that era was not as "normal" as it, hopefully, is today. This interview has it and shows a side that wasn't very often heard in Elvis-interviews, mstly because the usual questions were about girlfriends, teddy bears and stuff....

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:25 pm

From Trude Forsher's diary: Monday, August 27, Mr. Siegel of "Photoplay" calls to inform us that well-known writer, Jules Archer, will fly out from New York to interview Elvis for "True Story." He is writing an article on Elvis as a constructive force, using his influence with young people to make better men and women of them. One example of this potential influence is the polio shot Elvis will receive. This will be given to him by a doctor and the actual procedure of the shot will be photographed and televised nationwide, encouraging young people to also take advantage of the polio vaccine.


August 29, 1956 - Elvis was constantly busy with visitors and reporters on the set. To True Story staffwriter Jules Archer he confessed his genuine disturbance at the reaction to his Jacksonville shows and the preacher who asked his congregation to pray for Elvis’ salvation. “I think that hurt me more than anything else at first. This man was supposed to be a religious leader, yet he acted that way without ever knowing who I was or what I was like. I believe in the Bible. I believe that all good things come from God...I don’t believe I’d sing the way I do if God hadn’t wanted me to. My voice is God’s will, not mine."
source: Last Train To Memphis - Peter Guralnick

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:00 pm

hilton22000 wrote:...“I believe in the Bible.
I believe that all good things come from God...
I don’t believe I’d sing the way I do if God hadn’t wanted me to.
My voice is God’s will, not mine.
"
source: Last Train To Memphis - Peter Guralnick


So maybe it's God who's to blame for Ito Eats, then ?

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Quite a lengthy and intelligent interview!

It's no surprise, as Archer went on to craft several well-regarded books on U.S. history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Archer

Too bad he didn't do one on Elvis. He died about a year ago, at the age of 93, in Scotts Valley, CA.

Thanks for posting this.


A few more thoughts:

The lead photo is from Vegas in April, and is reverse-image.

When asked about the first SUN demo (July 1953) he plainly states "I just wanted to hear how I sounded."

Funny he refers to unnamed songwriter Mae Boren Axton as a "little old lady" who "mailed" her song "Heartbreak Hotel" to him -- and goes on to note that's how he gets most of his hit material. What?!?

It's clear Archer wanted to firmly squelch the "delinquency" issue -- the subject consumes most of the article.

It's also evident Archer "enhanced" Elvis' replies -- much of what he says is unlike any of the many 1956 interviews we have. Why? Probably to further impress the readers of True Story.

Thanks again!

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The lead photo is from Vegas in April, and is reverse-image.


Sorry Doc, I have to correct you on this one. At least partly.
Yes, the photo is a reversed image.

But no, the photo is NOT from Vegas in April. The photo is from out in California in early June of 1956.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:50 pm

bripet56 wrote:The photo is from out in California in early June of 1956.

There are a series of these images published which also include brunette pal Judy Spreckles -- IIRC, they refer to them as Apr-May in Vegas. Of course, we also see her in June.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:The photo is from out in California in early June of 1956.

There are a series of these images published which also include brunette pal Judy Spreckles -- IIRC, they refer to them as Apr-May in Vegas. Of course, we also see her in June.


Yeah Doc, I know that these photos have always been referred to as being from Las Vegas but I'm very certain that they are from out in California.

I think I'll have to do a real thorough investigation of these photos and see if we can once and for all determine where they are from.
Right now I gotta get out and buy some Christemas-presents so my kids won't be too disappointed with the Holiday.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Thank you for posting. One of my favorite comments by Elvis in this article is "there'll be an Elvis Presley of some kind in 1975".

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Some thoughts.
On the second page we see Jules with note pad apparently interviewing Elvis on the set of
"Love me Tender", but the article states the interview was a 3 hour thing done in his hotel suite.
So, was the interview a combination of both conversations?
Secondly, did he use a tape recorder on the main part done at the suite or just a note pad?

And, there is a less cropped picture of the one shown, with Debra Paget standing to Elvis' left.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:58 pm

LOVE the ad for Written On The Wind on the seventh page.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:07 am

ekenee wrote:On the second page we see Jules with note pad apparently interviewing Elvis on the set of "Love me Tender", but the article states the interview was a 3 hour thing done in his hotel suite.
So, was the interview a combination of both conversations?

The photo was made for publicity purposes. The interview was done at the hotel.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Funny he refers to unnamed songwriter Mae Boren Axton as a "little old lady" who "mailed" her song "Heartbreak Hotel" to him -- and goes on to note that's how he gets most of his hit material. What?!?

I found that funny too!

Anyone knows if this great article also is in Osborne's "Elvis, Word for Word"..?

Thx for posting the Fool!

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:22 pm

I recall reading that the entire Mae Axton interview is indeed in that book.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 pm

This interview is not in "Elvis, Word for Word" book, but i found the below photo in this book:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Better quality and an alternate. The photo with Richard Egan and Debra Paget was taken same day, same place, maibe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:48 am

hilton22000 wrote:This interview is not in "Elvis, Word for Word" book, but i found the below photo in this book:

Cool, thanks !

hilton22000 wrote:The photo with Richard Egan and Debra Paget was taken same day, same place, maibe?
Same clothing yes, but I don't know if all scenes with these clothing were shot the same day.
They also wore the same clothing for the production of the title song, which I think was Aug 25th.
The photo's with Jules Archer (same clothing) were taken Aug 29th.

Re: The Jules Archer interview 1956

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm

A rare magazine cover, the November 1956 issue of Writer´s Digest magazine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.