Off Topic Messages

The Ashes 2013

Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:37 pm

I thought I'd mention it.

Currently, Australia on 76 -0. It would be an outstanding ending to a fantastic Test if they could score the remaining runs. If world records have already been broken in this Test by the Aussies, then who's to say a record chase is out of the question?

England, on paper, are the superior team, but this Test makes a mockery of what's on paper. Some dodgy umpiring and a youngster playing like a young Gary Sobers (!) and we have a game that's thrilled all day long.

This is why Test cricket, though now short of spectators generally, is still the supreme test of cricketing ability.

In this present era of even shorter attention spans, I don't think people would invent Test cricket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_cricket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

Re: The Ashes 2013

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:51 pm

All good points. The first test is enthralling. I want England to win but not interested in the whitewash talk. I want to see a contest and it looks like we're getting one.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:22 am

A good day for England.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 pm

YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Michael Clarke - magnanimous in defeat; a class act.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Oh, this is wonderful.

Australia 111/9.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am

The vastly superior team wins again.

At this rate, only rain and England choosing to take their foot off the pedal can prevent a series whitewash. It's two Ashes series running where England look way too good for their opponents.

If either Cook or Pieterson fail, there's Bell, Prior, or Root. If Broad is off-target, there's always Swann and Anderson. And In reserve, there's Bresnan, Finn, Tremlett and Panesar.

What a team. But let's also hope the Aussies can compete more. It's better they lose every Test by close margins than by these tonkings.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Suds wrote:The vastly superior team wins again.

At this rate, only rain and England choosing to take their foot off the pedal can prevent a series whitewash. It's two Ashes series running where England look way too good for their opponents.

If either Cook or Pieterson fail, there's Bell, Prior, or Root. If Broad is off-target, there's always Swann and Anderson. And In reserve, there's Bresnan, Finn, Tremlett and Panesar.

What a team. But let's also hope the Aussies can compete more. It's better they lose every Test by close margins than by these tonkings.

Agreed. It takes the shine off somewhat when it is so one-sided.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:45 am

Sky Sports 2 should be taken off the air. Cricket Cricket Cricket I'm sick of it!!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Change the channel.

Given England's disastrous performance so far, that's what I'll be doing.