Off Topic Messages

For elvisalisellers and all the other Ali Fans: ALI again...

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 am

i thought i had seen it all ... imagine, how surprised i was spotting ali on youtube.com in a sitcom called "diff´rent strokes". this episode, called "arnold´s hero", is from october 1979, just after he had retired from boxing with a few exhibition shows/fights this previous summer, named "farewell to a legend", which also brought him to germany.

just like little arnold, i was a little kid and a great fan of the greatest these days. we only had 3 tv programs and information about ali - while omnipresent on american tv - was very rare here in western germany.
back then, i would have given my right arm for a show like that, which of course, was unknown in germany.

so this is not just for elvisalisellers, but for all the other ali fans we have on this board (and i know, there are some more).
hope it´s new for you, enjoy it, as i did!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Diff%27rent_Strokes_episodes

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: For elvisalisellers and all the other Ali Fans: ALI agai

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:41 am

"Unknown in Germany"? You mean, you don't know about the show? About what happened later? And thus, you don't know how sad this is, especially with Ali already showing signs of his illness? It's not just that, by any means. It's more the combo of again seeing these children, and then Ali, doomed.

Wikipedia wrote:Diff'rent Strokes curse

Following the cancellation of Diff'rent Strokes, Gary Coleman, Todd Bridges and Dana Plato encountered difficulty in obtaining acting jobs. All three experienced various legal problems while Bridges and Plato also struggled with drug addictions, all of which were documented in the press. The press and fans of the series blamed the casts' personal problems and faltering careers on what was eventually dubbed the "curse of Diff'rent Strokes" by various tabloids.[6]
Three years after the series ended, Gary Coleman sued his parents and his former manager over misappropriation of his trust fund. Although he was awarded over $1,000,000 in the decision, he filed for bankruptcy in 1999. In 1998, Coleman was charged with assault after he punched a woman while working as a security guard at a shopping mall. In 2001, Coleman (still working as a security guard) was videotaped trying to stop a vehicle from entering the mall. The driver ridiculed him, and released the tape to be broadcast on numerous television shows.[7] In 2007, Coleman was cited for disorderly conduct in Provo, Utah for having a "heated discussion" with a woman.[8] On May 26, 2010, Coleman, who had battled health problems since childhood caused by congenital kidney disease, was admitted to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo after falling and hitting his head after suffering a seizure. Coleman was then placed on life support after suffering an intracranial hemorrhage, and died the next day from complications of his injury at the age of 42.[9]
During Season 5, Dana Plato became pregnant and her character was written out of the series (Plato would go on to make guest appearances). She married the father of her child, musician Lanny Lambert, in 1984 but the couple divorced the following year. Due to financial difficulties and her growing addiction to drugs and alcohol, Plato relinquished custody of her son, Tyler, to her ex-husband. In an attempt to boost her faltering career, Plato posed for Playboy in June 1989 but her appearance in the magazine did not help her land acting jobs.[6] By 1990, Plato was living in Las Vegas. Despite having made $25,000 an episode while on the series, she was often broke and was working as a cashier at a dry cleaners.[10] In February 1991, she was arrested after robbing a Las Vegas video store armed with a pellet gun. She was arrested the following year for forging prescriptions for Valium.[11] In 1998, she appeared in a softcore film entitled Different Strokes: The Story of Jack & Jill... and Jill, which was intended to capitalize on her Diff'rent Strokes fame.[6] After her arrests, Plato publicly admitted that she struggled with an addiction to drugs and alcohol.[12] She died of a drug overdose in 1999 at the age of 34. Her death was ruled a suicide.[13]
After the series, Todd Bridges developed an addiction to cocaine. In February 1988, he was arrested and charged with the attempted murder of a drug dealer at a crack house in South Central Los Angeles. He was acquitted in November 1989.[14] Bridges was also arrested on a concealed weapon charge and possession of cocaine.[6] In 1994, he was arrested after allegedly ramming someone's car after an argument.[15] After years of battling his drug addiction, Bridges became sober in the early 1990s.[16] He now travels across the United States, touring schools and discussing the dangers of drug use.[17] Bridges has continued acting in films and television. His more high profile role was as Monk, a shell-shocked Vietnam veteran, conspiracy theorist, and nephew of Chris' boss Doc on the sitcom Everybody Hates Chris.[18]

But it was a fun episode at the time . . .

rjm

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 am

Boy that takes me back

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:35 am

rjm wrote:"Unknown in Germany"? You mean, you don't know about the show? About what happened later? And thus, you don't know how sad this is, especially with Ali already showing signs of his illness? It's not just that, by any means. It's more the combo of again seeing these children, and then Ali, doomed.

Wikipedia wrote:Diff'rent Strokes curse

Following the cancellation of Diff'rent Strokes, Gary Coleman, Todd Bridges and Dana Plato encountered difficulty in obtaining acting jobs. All three experienced various legal problems while Bridges and Plato also struggled with drug addictions ...

But it was a fun episode at the time . . .

rjm

as i said, the sitcom was unknown in germany.
i became aware of it the first time yesterday via youtube.com

didn´t know about the so called "curse".
especially the story of dana plato is quite touching, since she chose the way of self destruction, just like elvis did (of course, it´s hard to compare, the circumstances are always different).
the saddest part to me is, that her son tyler lambert took the same route just three years ago.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Plato wrote:On May 6, 2010, almost 11 years to the day after Dana Plato's death, her son Tyler Lambert died at age 25 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His grandmother, Joni Richardson, stated that Lambert was experimenting with both drugs and alcohol, which may have contributed to his suicide. Johnny Whitaker, Plato's former manager and a friend of the family, told ABCNews.com that Lambert always said he "wanted to be with Mom." "Mother's Day was always a difficult time, not only because it was Mother's Day but the anniversary of Dana's death," Whitaker said.

fortunately, there seem to be also some "survivors":
http://thefw.com/cast-of-diffrent-strokes-today/

and here´s the elvis link:
girl happy- and harum scarum-co star mary ann mobley joined "diff´rent strokes" for the last season.
she is 74 years old now and still with us.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 am

Arnold,Kimberly,Mr Drummond are all dead Willis is still alive. Whatcha talking bout Willis?

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 am

Christopher wrote:i thought i had seen it all ... imagine, how surprised i was spotting ali on youtube.com in a sitcom called "diff´rent strokes". this episode, called "arnold´s hero", is from october 1979, just after he had retired from boxing with a few exhibition shows/fights this previous summer, named "farewell to a legend", which also brought him to germany.

just like little arnold, i was a little kid and a great fan of the greatest these days. we only had 3 tv programs and information about ali - while omnipresent on american tv - was very rare here in western germany.
back then, i would have given my right arm for a show like that, which of course, was unknown in germany.

so this is not just for elvisalisellers, but for all the other ali fans we have on this board (and i know, there are some more).
hope it´s new for you, enjoy it, as i did!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Diff%27rent_Strokes_episodes

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thanks.

I don't remember this particular episode. I saw loads of them, but must have missed this one. Ali is mesmeric even when he's following a script.

Thanks again for posting it.