Post here your Elvis' pictures

Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 pm

This has intrigued me for many years: the 'photo-shoot' in March of 1959, in the centre of Bad Nauheim.

An exact date is not known, neither is the photographer (or is he?).
Some of the photo's that were taken on this day keep turning up, usually heavily cropped, and 'only' in black/white.
But how many were actually shot?

The most famous of all the photo's from this day ended up on the cover of A Big Hunk O' Love.
And two other pics were used for the annual Christmas card from Elvis/Colonel.

I have collected the best possbile quality in this topic:
http://www.elvisechoesofthepast.com/one ... arch-1959/

But there just have to be more! That might be wishful thinking, and 18 or 19 in total (for the outdoor shots) is a fair amount, but since it was an official photo-shoot (well, how else should be call it?) one can assume there may have to be more.
Probably more indoor-shots. Or maybe shots that are not that easy to recognize as such if Elvis is wearing different clothes (apart from the wellknown uniform).

Your help in collecting information (about the exact date?) and better quality or less-cropped pictures (let alone pictures that are not yet present in the topic!) is very much appreciated!

(I am also not sure if the opening pic, Elvis with the rifle, is actually from the same day, it looks like it, but I am not 100% sure)

Some eaxmples:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:11 am

We used to have a little 'army project' where we'd try to sort out as many Elvis army shots as possible - we got to collecting roughly some 1300 shots and tried to sort them roughly by dates but it was a really hard task and eventually gave up, mainly because our little "EPSS" project came along. All the army photos are still on Photobucket (and have been just sitting there for close to two years now) but with a quick check, I don't think we had any new ones for you. In fact, you have more than what we found some years ago.

We also only got a "March 1959" as the date but it's so nice to see photos from the same photo shoot collected like that. Which was one of the main reasons for starting EPSS for us. It gives a whole new life for the shots when they're seen on their context instead of just a random one here and another one there. If you're planning on adding more army photo shoot pages on your blog, give us a shout and we'll give you the links to the Photobucket folders so you can always check if there are any you'd be missing. It would be cool to see the ones collected together where we see Elvis listening to some records at his house in Germany, along with playing the guitar and piano.

Great work in anycase, and sorry I wasn't of any help really.

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Lovely post Bob-Holland great pictures even if Elvis appears to be more than a little sad in most. The railing of the bridge is quite different now as was my view on this day.

MASTER2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:34 am

onelove wrote:We used to have a little 'army project' where we'd try to sort out as many Elvis army shots as possible - we got to collecting roughly some 1300 shots and tried to sort them roughly by dates but it was a really hard task and eventually gave up, mainly because our little "EPSS" project came along. All the army photos are still on Photobucket (and have been just sitting there for close to two years now) but with a quick check, I don't think we had any new ones for you. In fact, you have more than what we found some years ago.

We also only got a "March 1959" as the date but it's so nice to see photos from the same photo shoot collected like that. Which was one of the main reasons for starting EPSS for us. It gives a whole new life for the shots when they're seen on their context instead of just a random one here and another one there. If you're planning on adding more army photo shoot pages on your blog, give us a shout and we'll give you the links to the Photobucket folders so you can always check if there are any you'd be missing. It would be cool to see the ones collected together where we see Elvis listening to some records at his house in Germany, along with playing the guitar and piano.

Great work in anycase, and sorry I wasn't of any help really.

Many thanks for your response! And also (once again) thanks for EPSS, I use it all the time.
And I would love to search your photobucket pages! If you want to, you can pm me the link. Much appreciated!

I fully agree with you regarding the context when these kind of shots are collected together. But the army shots are, as you described, pretty tough to collect, there are just so many!
I have a softspot for the March 59 Nauheim shots, in fact I have a softspot for his Nauheim days altogether! There is just magic in the air when you walk around in that little town knowing Elvis did the same for 18 months.

None of the many books that have been published about Germany have a more precise date or the name of the photographer. This is kinda weird ain't it?
I would really like to know if all the shots were once in color, and of course it would be great to find out if there are more of them. There are more! We just haven't been able to distinguish them from the rest, especially the indoorshots from that day are hard to pinpoint (same goes for any close-ups, I guess).
And did Elvis change his wardrobe, or are all shots in that same uniform?
The uniform, the private first class stripes, the watch, the rings. These things are helpful in dating the pics.
Well, the search continues!

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:39 am

It is always wonderful to see pictures about him in my country. And it is fantastic to read stories about this. Thanks a lot.

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:45 am

Julian Grant wrote:Lovely post Bob-Holland great pictures even if Elvis appears to be more than a little sad in most. The railing of the bridge is quite different now as was my view on this day.


Thanks Julian!
If I remember well, your pics in Nauheim have been posted before on FECC or on another site? They sure look familiar to me.
The new railing is probably also lower.

I guess you visited in the summer, when the bridge in the background is not visible (like on the Elvis photo).
I have been in Nauheim a few times, and the Elvis-spots all look very different during the different seasons. Probably the best time to visit (at least when you want to get that feeling) is the fall or early spring.
But Nauheim is nice all year round, and there is so much Elvis to see.

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 am

Bob-Holland wrote:
onelove wrote:We used to have a little 'army project' where we'd try to sort out as many Elvis army shots as possible - we got to collecting roughly some 1300 shots and tried to sort them roughly by dates but it was a really hard task and eventually gave up, mainly because our little "EPSS" project came along. All the army photos are still on Photobucket (and have been just sitting there for close to two years now) but with a quick check, I don't think we had any new ones for you. In fact, you have more than what we found some years ago.

We also only got a "March 1959" as the date but it's so nice to see photos from the same photo shoot collected like that. Which was one of the main reasons for starting EPSS for us. It gives a whole new life for the shots when they're seen on their context instead of just a random one here and another one there. If you're planning on adding more army photo shoot pages on your blog, give us a shout and we'll give you the links to the Photobucket folders so you can always check if there are any you'd be missing. It would be cool to see the ones collected together where we see Elvis listening to some records at his house in Germany, along with playing the guitar and piano.

Great work in anycase, and sorry I wasn't of any help really.

Many thanks for your response! And also (once again) thanks for EPSS, I use it all the time.
And I would love to search your photobucket pages! If you want to, you can pm me the link. Much appreciated!

I fully agree with you regarding the context when these kind of shots are collected together. But the army shots are, as you described, pretty tough to collect, there are just so many!
I have a softspot for the March 59 Nauheim shots, in fact I have a softspot for his Nauheim days altogether! There is just magic in the air when you walk around in that little town knowing Elvis did the same for 18 months.

None of the many books that have been published about Germany have a more precise date or the name of the photographer. This is kinda weird ain't it?
I would really like to know if all the shots were once in color, and of course it would be great to find out if there are more of them. There are more! We just haven't been able to distinguish them from the rest, especially the indoorshots from that day are hard to pinpoint (same goes for any close-ups, I guess).
And did Elvis change his wardrobe, or are all shots in that same uniform?
The uniform, the private first class stripes, the watch, the rings. These things are helpful in dating the pics.
Well, the search continues!


Thanks to you as well, Bob. So cool to hear you're using EPSS - that's exactly why it's there.

We decided to switch the whole Photobucket account to 'public' so you (or anyone else, for that matter) can check if you can find anything of interest from there. But like already said, it's been pretty much just sitting for probably over two years now so there may be a fair bit of mistakes on the dates, shots in the wrong folders and what not, but if it's of any help at all that's only a plus. If not, just enjoy some cool army shots.

Here's the link. PB looks really messy these days but just click on the "albums" on the left-hand side panel and it'll open up the album;
--> http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/epa-4 ... t=3&page=0


Keep updating your blog - it's a really cool source of all kinds of Elvis information!

Re: Bad Nauheim - March 1959

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm

onelove wrote:Thanks to you as well, Bob. So cool to hear you're using EPSS - that's exactly why it's there.

We decided to switch the whole Photobucket account to 'public' so you (or anyone else, for that matter) can check if you can find anything of interest from there. But like already said, it's been pretty much just sitting for probably over two years now so there may be a fair bit of mistakes on the dates, shots in the wrong folders and what not, but if it's of any help at all that's only a plus. If not, just enjoy some cool army shots.

Here's the link. PB looks really messy these days but just click on the "albums" on the left-hand side panel and it'll open up the album;
--> http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/epa-4 ... t=3&page=0


Keep updating your blog - it's a really cool source of all kinds of Elvis information!


Wonderful link!
It took me some time to search through. But not nearly as much time it must have taken you to collect and organize these pics!
Really, a magnificent collection. Many thanks!

And also my thanks for complimenting Echoes (like your site, a labour of love). Much appreciated!