Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD - American Sound Alternates Vol 3?

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Now that FTD has issued deluxe editions of From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis with alternate takes and remixed underdubbed masters in superb sonic quality, does anyone know how FTD plans to issue the remaining alternate takes and remixed pre-overdub masters of the American Sound songs not included on the FEIM and BIM FTDs?

Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
If I'm A Fool
Rubberneckin'
Mama Liked The Roses
My Little Friend
I'll Be There
Hey Jude

Re: FTD - American Sound Alternates Vol 3?

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:15 pm

HI there!! :D :D :D.

monkboughtlunch wrote:Now that FTD has issued deluxe editions of From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis with alternate takes and remixed underdubbed masters in superb sonic quality, does anyone know how FTD plans to issue the remaining alternate takes and remixed pre-overdub masters of the American Sound songs not included on the FEIM and BIM FTDs?

Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
If I'm A Fool
Rubberneckin'
Mama Liked The Roses
My Little Friend
I'll Be There
Hey Jude

It would be great if FTD decide to put it out as a Special 1 cd release but I don´t mind if they release them on Special editions of Camden´s: Let´s Be Friends or Almost In Love 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Imo, the Memphis '69 sessions at American should get a box-set treatment from FTD or Sony/Legacy, it certainly deserves to be.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:Now that FTD has issued deluxe editions of From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis with alternate takes and remixed underdubbed masters in superb sonic quality, does anyone know how FTD plans to issue the remaining alternate takes and remixed pre-overdub masters of the American Sound songs not included on the FEIM and BIM FTDs?

Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
If I'm A Fool
Rubberneckin'
Mama Liked The Roses
My Little Friend
I'll Be There
Hey Jude

Can only speak for myself but I dont want these songs on CAMDEN FTD re-issues. :|
I would like a 2 disc release that could be called something like "The Lost American Sound Tracks" :o
Last edited by KingElvis on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 pm

One imagines such a scattershot release, despite the superlative nature of the 1969 Memphis sessions, will be akin to scraping the bottom of the barrel. These outtakes were passed over for a reason.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 pm

Yes there should be more will all the alt takes not used completly uncut no cussing or dirty remark left out and no chatter from another take put where it dont belong either.release as is not edits at all we want every piece of these sessions.It would sell Ernst.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Yes there should be more will all the alt takes not used completly uncut no cussing or dirty remark left out and no chatter from another take put where it dont belong either.release as is not edits at all we want every piece of these sessions.It would sell Ernst.

Thanks.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:One imagines such a scattershot release, despite the superlative nature of the 1969 Memphis sessions, will be akin to scraping the bottom of the barrel. These outtakes were passed over for a reason.

not including the two obvious great songs from this list of left overs I am assuming - right?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Do multitracks and alternate takes exist for the 4 songs recorded for Change of Habit? If so, perhaps Ernst will marry the Change of Habit Tracks with remaining American Sound Tracks, including the backing tracks for the three songs Elvis never completed to comprehend all the remaining 1969 studio cuts? Also, how does FTD plan to issue the 6 songs recorded in 1968 for The Trouble With Girls? Perhaps these could be rolled into a 2 CD set?

American Sound Remaining Tracks
Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
If I'm A Fool
Rubberneckin'
Mama Liked The Roses
My Little Friend
I'll Be There
Hey Jude
This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You (remixed and remastered - first published on Essential 60s Masters)
Poor Man's Gold (backing track + vocal fragment)
Come Out, Come Out (backing track)
Memory Revival (backing track)

Change of Habit
Change of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
Let Us Pray

The Trouble With Girls
"Clean Up Your Own Backyard"
"Swing Down Sweet Chariot"
"Signs of the Zodiac"
"Almost"
"The Whiffenpoof Song"
"Violet (Flower of NYU)"

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Who Am I? is missing from that list of American Sound masters.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks Rich.

Here's the amended list:

American Sound Remaining Tracks
Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
If I'm A Fool
Rubberneckin'
Mama Liked The Roses
My Little Friend
I'll Be There
Who Am I
Hey Jude
This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You (remixed and remastered - first published on Essential 60s Masters)
Poor Man's Gold (backing track + vocal fragment)
Come Out, Come Out (backing track)
Memory Revival (backing track)

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:17 pm

It would've been nice to see another "what if" album from FTD called Suspicious Minds, and left it off the "Back In Memphis" album. But I understand the reasoning why they did so.

Could've looked something like this:

Side 1

Suspicious Minds
I'll Be There
Hey Jude
My Little Friend
Mama Liked The Roses

Side 2

Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
Rubberneckin'
If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)
Who Am I?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm

How about a 3 Disc set containing all of the masters and alternates all put together in a similar fashion to the upcoming "EAS" ?
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm sure we will see a third "Memphis" release with the remaining tracks, and I can't wait to get it! :)

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Mike DK wrote:I'm sure we will see a third "Memphis" release with the remaining tracks, and I can't wait to get it! :)

If or when they do, I sure hope they include the correct original stereo mix of Kentucky Rain, not the alternate version they've used since 1993. The original stereo mix master can be found on the 45 RPM or on Elvis Gold Records Vol.5 (original pressing)

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Mike DK wrote:I'm sure we will see a third "Memphis" release with the remaining tracks, and I can't wait to get it! :)

bring it on.......yehhhhhhh

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

TCB-FAN wrote:If or when they do, I sure hope they include the correct original stereo mix of Kentucky Rain, not the alternate version they've used since 1993. The original stereo mix master can be found on the 45 RPM or on Elvis Gold Records Vol.5 (original pressing)

And here below is a rip of the original Mono 45 rpm single of Kentucky Rain :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/79956546/file.html

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:

If or when they do, I sure hope they include the correct original stereo mix of Kentucky Rain, not the alternate version they've used since 1993. The original stereo mix master can be found on the 45 RPM or on Elvis Gold Records Vol.5 (original pressing)

Other than the length of the fade, what is the difference in the two mixes?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

The mix used on the releases since 1993's From Nashville to Memphis has a counter melody at the end performed by the string section which is turned way up and not found on the earlier mixes.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Mike C wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

The mix used on the releases since 1993's From Nashville to Memphis has a counter melody at the end performed by the string section which is turned way up and not found on the earlier mixes.

The sad thing is that Ernst has not fixed the problem some 20 years later. The same can be said with "The Wonder Of You" on some of the compilations...(ie : Second To None, #1's, etc....)

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mike C wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

The sad thing is that Ernst has not fixed the problem some 20 years later. The same can be said with "The Wonder Of You" on some of the compilations...(ie : Second To None, #1's, etc....)

That's why I love the fact we have the mono mix on the legacy edition of Elvis in Memphis. Its the version seared into my memory.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 am

Some of The Wonder Of You mixes are the original mix without the added applause and the overdubbed Nashville background vocals. I actually would prefer the entire On Stage album to be without the "fixes" that Felton deemed necessary. I would also LOVE to hear "I Just Can't Help Believing" without that fake applause. I wonder why Felton thought that would enhance the recordings?

And his idea of adding applause to the studio version of Bridge Over Trouble Water was terrible!!

I think I would like to go back in time and prevent Felton from every working with Elvis. And then, while I was at it, prevent the Kennedy assassination too.

I have much more an issue with Felton than I ever would have with the Colonel.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 am

So the strings being more prominent on the stereo mix of Kentucky Rain bothers you then? I do not remember when Kentucky Rain was first mixed in stereo. It seems that most of the 69 and later singles that were in mono have a very different mix than most of the stereo versions. You'll Think Of Me was the first one that really stuck out with me back in 1970 with the Back In Memphis LP.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 am

Not too sure if we'll see such a release in the near future. Would be nice though to "complete" the FEIM, BIM and ? trilogy.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm

"Almost in Love"/"Let's Be Friends" could take care of them and get some soundtracks taken care of as well that might not have enough tracks to make up a full cd.