Off Topic Messages

Re: poormadpeter

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:01 am

RJM makes a good point - it's noticed when I make such a comment because it's uncommon, and we notice the exception rather than the rule.

However, Bodie seems to have missed the whole gist of the conversation anyway - ie, I'm not going to start doing favours for someone who a few days ago said I should burn in hell - or whatever he said.

I'm not going to comment on Richie's apology other than this - it's no good apologising if the apology is just to ingratiate yourself to the people around you. If you still feel the same way inside as when you wrote the comment then the apology is meaningless. On the other hand, as with the conversation about racism in the "unpopular opinion" threads, if people are brought up via a religion or society that believes homosexuals are evil, what do we expect?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 am

whatever floats your boat. Fyi a few of my friends are wish they werent oh well to each his own.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 pm

ritchie a few of my friends are wish they werent oh well too but to each his own i say too for them to float a boat.

Fyi

whatever

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
javilu wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:you have wrote a post detailing your views of homosexuals and what should happen to them.

Excuse me, what should happen to homosexuals?
I'm curious.

Sadly that post has been deleted, but was described by Inherit as the "most offensive ever" - which is quite an achievement!

We should give Ritchie an award then!

Bodie wrote:In this day and age, who cares if someone is gay?

It seems like Ritchie does!

JaneTLC wrote:This thread was worth it just for that dire video of Engelbert :smt003

Hey watch it! Engelbert rocks!
And his "The Last Waltz" beats the crap out of Elvis' "This Is Our Dance".

phpBB [video]

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:35 pm

He had a good pair of lungs on him, didn't he? It's interesting comparing that performance with what Presley was doing later in the 70s, and is a good example of powerful singing over bellowing.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Rob wrote:ritchie a few of my friends are wish they werent oh well too but to each his own i say too for them to float a boat.

Fyi

whatever

I actually LOL'd. Brilliant parody! Just brilliant! :D

javilu wrote:

It seems like Ritchie does!

Um, yeah. I thought that was the whole point of the thread. Bodie may have a point but not on this particular thread. :?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm

sadly, many people does

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 pm

poormadpeter wrote:He had a good pair of lungs on him, didn't he? It's interesting comparing that performance with what Presley was doing later in the 70s, and is a good example of powerful singing over bellowing.

He still does.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 pm

rjm wrote:Trying to get back to posting. So this won't be best.

But I think Bodie was saying GM should cease talking about his sexual orientation, and that everyone - whatever their orientation, should not talk about it.

I will take a stab at this.

This is a common communication problem between minorities and non-minorities. It's rather like white people not realizing they are white, and thus have privileges people of color do not. In the same vein, straight folks talk about their spouses very casually and freely, without realizing they are announcing and talking about their sexuality.

Now, I wouldn't use G. Michael as an exemplar, because he has used his orientation to excuse inappropriate conduct. That doesn't help anyone. So much for him. There are others.

For instance, George Takei and his husband Brad. Some people really don't want to see or hear about Brad. They don't want to know that George and Brad had an ordinary ice-cream evening while watching TV. But they are legally married, and he should talk about his husband the same as a straight couple. People want to hear about William Shatner and his wife, Elizabeth, and all they do. They talk about their dogs, and so on. No problem. But for some of the same people, Brad is a problem for them. They'd rather he not be mentioned, photographed, etc.

In other words, it's a failure of communication and understanding. Straight people don't realize that they talk about being straight all the time, without anyone realizing it. I didn't realize it myself, until recently. Now, I know that when I talk about "guys," I am announcing my straightness to others.

It's not a failure of goodwill, in this case. Just communication. It seems to me that Bodie is a person of good will, for sure. It's just that those of us who are straight don't generally realize just how often and casually we talk about it.

Now, I can't write no more. All the best.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks rjm.

That was well put.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:He had a good pair of lungs on him, didn't he? It's interesting comparing that performance with what Presley was doing later in the 70s, and is a good example of powerful singing over bellowing.

I'd agree with you if I knew what bellowing means!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 am

javilu wrote:

in other words, EH sings, Elvis shouts.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:09 am

poormadpeter wrote:
javilu wrote:

in other words, EH sings, Elvis shouts.

That's correct.
Sadly, as the 70s progressed, Elvis lost the notion of subtlety on his singing and leaned to the over the top mostly.
Now listen to this crappy performance I taped today because I was bored lol

phpBB [video]

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Jav, any more pics of you hugging donkey statues ?

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:03 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Jav, any more pics of you hugging donkey statues ?

What?