Off Topic Messages

Re: There's a Brand New Day on the Horizon

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:13 pm

It is amusing that those who are disenchanted with the Supreme Court's decisions call them "political."

Was Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010 "political" as well? It certainly benefited the corporate bottom line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Today, the equal marriage bill in the UK passed its third reading in the House of Lords. The Queen will sign along the dotted line later this week or early next week, with the first same-sex marriages in the UK taking place next year. Well, the current government had to do something good during its 5 year term!

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

poormadpeter wrote:Today, the equal marriage bill in the UK passed its third reading in the House of Lords. The Queen will sign along the dotted line later this week or early next week, with the first same-sex marriages in the UK taking place next year. Well, the current government had to do something good during its 5 year term!

I should be asleep because of my operation in the morning, but I can't sleep. So, a question: the Queen can sign bills? I thought they were out of political activity. ???????

I thought the Royals just waved at crowds and stuff???

Catch the answer, pmp, when I'm better.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:32 pm

The Queen's signing of the bill is ceremonial rjm. Technically, it is Her Majesty's Government, but she doesn't actually make policy.

She does have a daily update on everything that happens in Parliament, and a weekly meeting with the Prime Minister where he can share his concerns, inform her about anything important, and ask advice where appropriate (after six decades, she has pretty much seen it all before).

Good luck with the op.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, sorry I forgot that people don't necessarily know the bizarre way in which our political system works

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Come to the Philippines, although same sex marriage is still not allowed by law, but it is one of the most gay friendly countries (Among the top ten) in the world. I do not believe in same sex marriage but I do not have a problem with that.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:Yes, sorry I forgot that people don't necessarily know the bizarre way in which our political system works

Most people don't necessarily understand the bizarre way OUR political system works! ;)

rjm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD