Off Topic Messages

Re: Man of Steel - I'm getting pretty psyched about this mov

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 am

Eddie wrote:Thanks Bodie, I opted for 2D, I went to see The Hobbit in 3D and found the whole thing distracting, would be interested in your view of the 3D screening. perhaps I'll give it a try.

I find it to be a gimmick that forces us to spend a vast amount for a ticket to see a film. As in the 1950s, it's a way to try and lure audiences back into the cinema, but I'm not really sure it's working. It does net profits for the companies involved though, especially through vertical integration of companies. Sony, as an example, not only owns the film studio, but they also manafacture the TVs and Blu-ray players required to watch 3-D material on, as well as the discs themselves. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Some 3-D movies are effective - seeing Final Destination 5 with the 3-D gimmick was a hoot, but it's a gimmicky franchise anyway. But films like the final Harry Potter and Voyage of the Dawn Treader gained nothing from the format whatsoever. I have yet to Gatsby, but I certainly won't be seeing that in 3-D either.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Bob-Holland wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Saw one guy with a cape even.

Was he wearing a jumpsuit as well?

Btw, there is only Superman: George Reeves.

George! Yes indeed

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:I don't know why so many people are psyched for this film.

The original Christopher Reeve Superman movie was just okay and the 2006 film with Brandon Routh sucked.

In my opinion Hollywood has yet to make a great movie about Superman.

This could be a great film but based on Hollywood's previous efforts you'd think people would be more lukewarm about another Superman movie.

If you bothered to read up about this film you would realise that this is not just 'another Superman movie'.

How can you have an opinion on this film when you obviously haven't seen it?

From the trailers it looks great and for a film that could quite easily get slammed by the critics cause of previous Superman films, its have great reviews.

Im certainly looking forward to seeing this, especially as its in 3D.

Pots & kettles ! bodie you did the same thing with the new evil dead movie and had not seen it yet !!!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Eddie wrote:Thanks Bodie, I opted for 2D, I went to see The Hobbit in 3D and found the whole thing distracting, would be interested in your view of the 3D screening. perhaps I'll give it a try.

I find it to be a gimmick that forces us to spend a vast amount for a ticket to see a film. As in the 1950s, it's a way to try and lure audiences back into the cinema, but I'm not really sure it's working. It does net profits for the companies involved though, especially through vertical integration of companies. Sony, as an example, not only owns the film studio, but they also manafacture the TVs and Blu-ray players required to watch 3-D material on, as well as the discs themselves. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Some 3-D movies are effective - seeing Final Destination 5 with the 3-D gimmick was a hoot, but it's a gimmicky franchise anyway. But films like the final Harry Potter and Voyage of the Dawn Treader gained nothing from the format whatsoever. I have yet to Gatsby, but I certainly won't be seeing that in 3-D either.

I mainly agree with you, Im unconvinced 3D will be anything more than a passing phase in cinema again. Of the titles I've so far seen in the format the odds are stacked heavily in favour of the movies I thought nothing was added to it. Prometheus 3D was absolutely pointless, The Hobbit just distracted me from enjoying the movie, only Avatar so far has IMO the format been worthwhile, and even there the 3D so subtle, where as I'm still looking for the movie experience where Im ducking in my seat to avoid projectiles flying towards me. Its early days as yet but the danger is that so many titles are released with uninteresting 3D the format will lose the interest of the cinema goer.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:58 pm

GEORGE REEVES IS MY #1 FAVE

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 am

Justin wrote:I walked into the theater wanting to watch a Superman movie but walked out just finished watching a Transformers movie.

It was a cold, soulless movie that gets by for its excessive special effects which reach nauseating levels by the film's end. Hopefully they get it right on the next reboot.

I could not agree more, just seen it tonight what alet down.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 am

Eddie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

I mainly agree with you, Im unconvinced 3D will be anything more than a passing phase in cinema again. Of the titles I've so far seen in the format the odds are stacked heavily in favour of the movies I thought nothing was added to it. Prometheus 3D was absolutely pointless, The Hobbit just distracted me from enjoying the movie, only Avatar so far has IMO the format been worthwhile, and even there the 3D so subtle, where as I'm still looking for the movie experience where Im ducking in my seat to avoid projectiles flying towards me. Its early days as yet but the danger is that so many titles are released with uninteresting 3D the format will lose the interest of the cinema goer.

I have to say it's simply a new phase in the continued computerisation of movies. I didn't see The Hobbit, but did see an extended trailer for it at another cinema screening, and it looked like a video game. It didn't have the look or feel of a film. Now, I know that going digital is part and parcel of that, but not to this extent. we seem to have movies now where the graphics is more important than the plot, acting, direction or characters. There are times when it works. I saw Speed Racer recently on Blu-Ray and thought it was a real blast, but it's based, I believe, on an animation in the first place, and was both a homage and pastiche to that. The Hobbit is based on a literary classic. I confess I have little or no interest in the works of Tolkien, but that's hardly the point.

To me, at least, some of the very essence of cinema has evaporated. Years ago, a scene of 10,000 people required 10,000 people. Now it's all done by computer. And no matter how well it is done, it doesn't replicate fully 10,000 people. I'm not sure why. We can't see every face of the crowd watching the chariot race in either film of Ben Hur, for example, but it still all seems so much more real than Gladiator. Film is such a wonderful medium because it does, in its own way, capture life. You can't replace people with computer graphics and get the same effect, whether they are in a crowd or starring roles.

3-D can be fun, I admit. But it needs the right vehicle, and such a gimmick has no place in the majority of films. Gatsby was 3-D for crying out loud. Why? What's the point? What is it meant to add? It could be argued that sound in film was a gimmick in 1927, but that's not strictly true because it had been around since 1895; nobody had figured out a way to amplify it. Once it did come in during the late 1920s, the move to sound was really quite swift in western europe and america. Silent films were gone in three years (although not in asia, south america, and russia). We're not seeing that here. I don't ever envisage a time when 2-d films are no longer made or are not the norm. Perhaps if we ever get to a stage where we can have 3-d in the cinema without glasses, we might see more of a move in that area. But at the moment, 3-d is a gimmick and, if you already wear glasses, damn near impossible to enjoy.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 am

This would have been cool :D

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Finally got round to seeing the film and thought it was brilliant.

The storyline was great and the acting in it was superb.

Makes all the other Superman films so outdated now.

The sequel to this should be just as good and there was a little teaser in 'Man Of Steel' that i believe Lew Luthor will be the main enemy of Superman.

I choose to see it in 3D and so glad i did, makes such a difference.