Off Topic Messages

South Korean plane crashes in San Francisco

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines_Flight_214

Re: South Korean plane crashes in San Francisco

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:45 am

Well done SFO rescue teams.

It would appear to be pilot errors and after a eleven stint there would have been limited fuel to burn.

You wonder how this could happen with a new model aircraft and state-of-art art avionics

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:21 am

Just noticed a photo of passengers "running" off the aircraft hauling carrying their cabin bags.

Idiots.

Perhaps the crew failures was not confined to the cockpit

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Well done SFO rescue teams.

It would appear to be pilot errors and after a eleven stint there would have been limited fuel to burn.

You wonder how this could happen with a new model aircraft and state-of-art art avionics

Yes but the planes are based on the same technology from the past 50 years and crashes from these flying tons of riveted metal with wings is inevitable, until we come up with a newer safer way to travel. It's 2013 and we are still flying the same way since the 1950's.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 pm

on the news this morning, they said that one of the victims actually survived the crash but was run over and killed by a rescue vehicle.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 am

phpBB [video]

Sum Ting Wong = "Something Wrong"
Wi Tu Lo = "We Too Low"
Ho Lee Fuk = "Holy Fu_k"
Bang Ding Ow = Bang! Ding! "Ow!"

:facep: :oops: :facep: :oops: :facep: :oops: :facep: :oops:

News anchor RETRACTS names...
phpBB [video]

An "official" in Washington confirmed these names?!!!! :shock: :facep:

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 am

NTSB statement on erroneous confirmation of crew names

July 12

The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6.

Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft.

The NTSB does not release or confirm the names of crewmembers or people involved in transportation accidents to the media. We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident.

Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated.

Office of Public Affairs
490 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC 20594
(202) 314-6100
Kelly Nantel
kelly.nantel@ntsb.gov

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:17 am

KTVU Apology for Friday Noon report

KTVU

OAKLAND, Calif. —

On Friday evening, KTVU Channel 2 issued the following on-air apology.

On Friday, July 12, during the KTVU Channel 2 Noon newscast, we misidentified the pilots in the Asiana Airlines crash.

We made several mistakes when we received this information. First, we never read the names out loud, phonetically sounding them out.

Then, during our phone call to the NTSB where the person confirmed the spellings of the names, we never asked that person to give us their position with the agency.

We heard this person verify the information without questioning who they were and then rushed the names on our noon newscast.

Shortly before 6 p.m. Friday, the NTSB issued the following statement:

The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots. A summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft. We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident. Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated.

The full NTSB statement can be found here.

Even with this statement from the NTSB, KTVU accepts full responsibility for this mistake.

We issued an apology later in the noon newscast, and we also apologized on our website and on our social media sites.

We have a lot of good people here at KTVU Channel 2. We pride ourselves on getting it right and having the highest of standards and integrity.

Clearly, on Friday, that didn't happen. So again, from everyone here at KTVU, we offer our sincerest apology.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/ktvu-apology-friday-noon-report/nYpSg/

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Good Lord!

That "summer intern" was not "erroneous." He or she is a genuine jerk! And they didn't "see" it before airing such a thing?

Must have been some kid who watches and laughs at idiotic homemade YouTubes of fake accidents.

And that achorwoman is a certified moron!

Wow.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 pm

You're prejudging both the intern and the anchorwoman.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You're prejudging both the intern and the anchorwoman.

You mean I thought they did "Sum Ting Wong"? ;)

rjm

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 pm

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You're prejudging both the intern and the anchorwoman.

You mean I thought they did "Sum Ting Wong"? ;)

rjm

It seems neither had malicious intent.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm

rjm wrote:Good Lord!

That "summer intern" was not "erroneous." He or she is a genuine jerk! And they didn't "see" it before airing such a thing?

Must have been some kid who watches and laughs at idiotic homemade YouTubes of fake accidents.

Wow.

rjm

Was this the same summer intern who told the IRS to "Be On the Lookout" for 501(c)(4) applications groups with "Tea Party" or "Patriot" in their names? Must be.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am

Mike C wrote:
rjm wrote:Good Lord!

Wow.

rjm

Was this the same summer intern who told the IRS to "Be On the Lookout" for 501(c)(4) applications groups with "Tea Party" or "Patriot" in their names? Must be.

You do realize how illogical and silly that sounds?

rjm