Off Topic Messages

The New Three Stooges ~ Complete Cartoon Collection

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 am

For Stooge fans everywhere... available in October - http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/New-St ... tion/18642

Re: The New Three Stooges ~ Complete Cartoon Collection

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:39 pm

don't get too excited about this release because the company releasing it is crap. Madacy has been known in the past as one of the worst PD companies out there because their product bears absolutely no resemblance to a quality DVD. The definitive release (if you can find them), is the RHINO VIDEO two-volume set of Stooge cartoons released back in the early 2000's. Even at that, the cartoons needed some color correction. The Rhino discs are long out of print (and expensive), but worth getting as the definitive Stooge cartoon release.
The CD of Stooge songs has also been available for several years as a stand-alone release.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Bad show, but this should be cool. One episode Super Everybody got an injunction from DC Comics because of Superman. It hasn't been seen in forty years or more. Glad to finally replace my vhs tapes.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 am

I bet no 1st generation masters were used either.it's copies of copies i bet.. Wonder if the actual masters still exist?

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 am

The top of the front cover reads - "45th Anniversary Collection"

I wonder what's up with that?! These cartoons weren't produced in 1968... or '69. :facep:

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm

The VHS issues of 30 years ago were nice shape. Despite the company this is something I wanted for so many years and it might be good so I will wait and see.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm

the producer of this cartoon series was Norman Maurer (Moe Howard's son-in law). Maurer died several years ago and the rights belong to Moe Howard's daughter. She also owns the masters. Unless someone makes her a really good offer she will not even consider a quality release cuz...she's all about the $$$$$$$$$$.

BTW i just looked up used copies of the RHINO VIDEO releases on Amazon.com. Price for volume 1: $37.72 Price for volume 2: $65.00. Their original release date on DVD: January 8, 2002.

Good thing i bought mine when i saw them in a used DVD store back in the mid 2000's.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm

ritchie valens wrote:I bet no 1st generation masters were used...

We don't know that for sure, yet.

This set could turn out to be of high quality.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 am

Norman died in 1986, Joan doesn't control anything Stooges these days except her old books.