Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

USATODAY Special Elvis edition

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:14 pm

USA TODAY's Elvis Presley special edition celebrates the 60th anniversary of his first recording, a $4 acetate of 'My Happiness' . The 48-page keepsake, on newsstands July 9, covers the King of Rock 'n' Roll's influence on music and society.

Here are the 20 songs listed:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/musi ... s/2497407/

Re: USATODAY Special Elvis edition

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Looks to be refresher on the Myth, if the article titles are any indication.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:18 pm

elvisjock wrote:Looks to be refresher on the Myth, if the article titles are any indication.

Typical reshashing of non research, at least he gets some positive press though

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 am

I cannot believe that this thread or this "Special Edition", highlighting Elvis' greatest work and a "positive" article, for once, at least in recent times, is getting so little attention, and/or recognition around here.

The mag is spectacular and the articles and reviews refreshing for once, damn ...

And the Top 20 "Essential Elvis" song selection (and 2 bonus tracks), is pretty spot on !

"Burning Love" and "Promised Land", the last of the elite Elvis rockers ... Absolutely a bummer !

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:19 am

Nice song choices! I will definitely get it!

Now, where is "my newsstand"?

rjm

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 pm

i asked my cousin,who lives in the US, to try and get one for me, but they were all sold out! :(

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 pm

hard to get in the UK but would like one

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Tough to do him justice in 20 songs, but not a bad effort .......... never keen on inc live cuts on a comp, but if u do, AT is a must ...........

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Pink&Black wrote:i asked my cousin,who lives in the US, to try and get one for me, but they were all sold out! :(

Try eBay.

Now that's a pretty good tracklisting...

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm wondering if this is sold in Canada? Either way, it's nice to see our guy get his much-deserved props!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 pm

It's hard to argue too much with the song choices and the little write-ups on the songs are pretty good, too.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Steve Morse wrote:It's hard to argue too much with the song choices and the little write-ups on the songs are pretty good, too.

Yeah they're fun to read. I really liked what they had to say about Hound Dog: "it was Elvis' gyrations during live performances of the song that caused the destruction of American civilization as we then knew it". :lol:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 am

Jove wrote:Image
USA TODAY's Elvis Presley special edition celebrates the 60th anniversary of his first recording, a $4 acetate of 'My Happiness' . The 48-page keepsake, on newsstands July 9, covers the King of Rock 'n' Roll's influence on music and society.

Here are the 20 songs listed:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/musi ... s/2497407/

Thanx for the heads up "jove,i am heading out the door right now to my local News Stand,be back in 10 minutes,hopefully with my copy,I'll let ya know. :D

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:34 am

I wasn't able to find a copy anywhere today, so I ordered it from the USA Today website.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 am

I've stopped collecting this type of stuff years ago. I mean, how much can one have? But its nice to see on the stands.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 am

JUST GOT HOME WITH MY COPY "JOVE,THANK YOU

I have just skimmed thru it,and this is an awesome Tribute,i will now go sit down and get comfy and really look at this good and post some pics of the inside. I am very happy right now :smt003 This is Jammed packed,all 48 pages just jammed packed with photos and alot of writing.

And this only cost $4.95 YEAH BABY :D

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:23 am

I am happy for you, Clay!! :D

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:37 am

Lover Doll wrote:I wasn't able to find a copy anywhere today, so I ordered it from the USA Today website.

Got a link where to order it from?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 am

First In Line wrote:
Lover Doll wrote:I wasn't able to find a copy anywhere today, so I ordered it from the USA Today website.

Got a link where to order it from?

Here you go -

http://onlinestore.usatoday.com/elvis-u ... 16963.aspx

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:25 am

Here is a few pics of what's inside,sorry about the quality of the photos but my Cell Phone Camera is not working good at the moment,my photos definitely do not do this excellent 60th Tribute justice,maybe someone else can post some clear pictures :)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 am

Pink&Black wrote:i asked my cousin,who lives in the US, to try and get one for me, but they were all sold out! :(

Your Cousin should be able to find at least 1 copy over here in the USA,there are newsstands around every corner over here,if you blink just once you can still see one,believe me.In my small town there are at least 10+ newsstands and thats just off the top of my head that i can think of,i know there are even more in my town.So tell your cousin to go out and get one for you,they only cost $4.95 :wink:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 am

Is it a newspaper or mag ? , looks nice though .........

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

Clay, why didn't you wait for a pdf download? :lol:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:10 am

"Newsstands around every corner"? Here? In the States? There's one in the mall down in Costa Mesa, but in recent years, they've stopped carrying papers. Only magazines, generally. I used to get the British scandal sheets there. ;)

Maybe in a small town.

The website it is!

rjm

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 am

Can someone please post the 20 tracks they chose?
I cannot get passed the first song, the page won´t turn so I´ll appreciate if someone would the post the tracklist.

::rocks

Lennart