Off Topic Messages

Randy Travis Hospitalized With Life Threatening Condition

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 am

Country superstar Randy Travis is in critical condition after suffering from complications stemming from recently acquired viral cardiomyopathy — according to the singer’s rep.

The 54-year-old Grammy winner was admitted to a hospital in Texas Sunday, July 7, 2013.

According to the Mayo Clinic, cardiomyopathy is a “disease that weakens and enlarges your heart muscle.” Cardiomyopathy can lead to heart failure.

It’s unclear what caused Travis’ condition.

Re: Randy Travis Hospitalized With Life Threatening Conditio

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 am

That's terrible! Let's face it, many people here are in that age-cohort, give or take, and so I think we'd certainly like to know what caused it. Sometimes it's blood poisoning, or valve damage. I believe the southern humorist Lewis Grizzard died from something very similar, whereby his valves were damaged, and they traced it, in his case, to severe took decay, and thus blood poisoning, or heart inflammation. It can also happen from a deep cut that gets contaminated, I've heard. The heart is poisoned, or so inflamed that the valves are damaged. I wish I understood more, but it's such a terrible thing, you hate reading about it.

Sure like to know.

Meanwhile, all my prayers are with him and his family. :cry:

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:41 am

Sadly, Travis has only been in the news in recent times due to very obvious substance abuse problems. I hope he can pull thorough.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:59 am

Always appreciated Randy Travis' music. My prayers go out to him for a full recovery.

rlj

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:36 am

For sure, he's had a very difficult year. Never been a huge fan of his music, but at one point in the 80's, he was as big as they got. Hoping he recovers.....

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:31 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The 54-year-old Grammy winner....

That would qualify him to be a legend, would it not?

I saw Randy Travis once when he was the middle act for George Jones and Conway Twitty at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky in 1988. I don't believe he's been the middle act for anyone since then. Never was a big fan, but I do hope he recovers.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:58 pm

He Has some great songs !!!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Wishing him all the best, Met him twice. Signed my guitar. Super nice man,

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 am

Not a big fan but I respect him and hope for a speedy recovery!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am

Update on Randy Travis:

Randy Travis Gets a Heart Implant: Still Critical

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/08/showbiz/r ... =obnetwork

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Best wishes to him

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Randy is one of my favorite Country artists and I hope the best for him.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am

Local Nashville news tonight reported that Randy had a stroke on Wednesday and was in surgery to relieve pressure on the brain.

Sad.

RKS

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 am

Latest Randy Travis Update Reveals True Cause of Heart Troubles and What’s Next

Randy Travis‘ heart troubles began with a viral infection, but at the root of his troubles is something more chronic. The singer has been hospitalized for eight days, much of which he’s spent on life support.

The latest update from Travis’ publicist includes a lengthy explanation from two of his doctors, plus a word from his fiancee Mary Davis. Dr. Michael Mack reveals Travis was put on life support immediately upon being admitted through the emergency room on July 7. Mechanical devices supported his breathing and heart and shortly after he was weaned from those devices he suffered the stroke.

Mack says that while he did suffer an acute viral illness, Travis now has idiopatchic cardiomyopathy, or scarring of the heart muscle that is causing it to be weak and not support his circulation without intervention. A biopsy showed no infection but revealed scar tissue that was not caused by either drugs or alcohol. Family history is more to blame he says.

Dr. Gary Erwin says Travis has responded well to the surgical procedure that came after his stroke. He is awake and alert, however he is still on a ventilator. The long term plan is for Travis to remain at the Heart Hospital for two or three weeks and then begin “aggressive physical therapy.” From there he’ll be transferred to an inpatient facility for more physical therapy. “We anticipate it will take months to recover from the stroke,” Dr. Erwin says.

“He does remain on intravenous medications to help support his heart,”he added, “but we are decreasing the doses of those everyday and actually beginning to start him on oral medications which he will use long term to help support his heart.”

Travis’s fiancee expressed thanks for well-wishes from fans and assured them the singer feels each prayer. “He’s miles beyond where any of us thought he would be a few days ago,” Davis says. He is still listed in critical condition, but has stabilized.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:12 am

Thanks. Considering everything, that's pretty good news. Will be praying for him. Hope he pulls through it.

rjm

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 am

Rob wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:The 54-year-old Grammy winner....

That would qualify him to be a legend, would it not?

I saw Randy Travis once when he was the middle act for George Jones and Conway Twitty at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky in 1988. I don't believe he's been the middle act for anyone since then. Never was a big fan, but I do hope he recovers.

Like you Rob, I too, saw Randy in concert in Philadelphia, it was either 1989 or 1990. He was actually the headliner. I missed the opening act because of flooding on the Shuykill Expressway. Arrived at intermission and saw all of Randy's act. A really good show. I remember he did "An American Trilogy" which was good. BUT, after seeeing Elvis perform it, what can I say........

My prayers continue to go out for him and those who are treating him.

rlj