Off Topic Messages

Re: There's a Brand New Day on the Horizon

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 am

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:Maybe because there are children out there who get affected by this, I for one don't want to take my children to the park so they can see two men, or two women kissing and lusting on each other.

Some thoughts:
- do gay people spend a lot of time at your local park, "kissing and lusting on each other"?
- do children who see two people of the same gender kissing "turn gay" when they grow up?
- do children get affected by the current 50% divorce rate of marriages between men and women?

As the Supreme Court led by Justice Roberts is well-regarded as conservative in its approach, why do you feel they made the decisions they did last week?

To be honest Doc they don't spend a lot of time in just the park, but the park was just 1 of 100,000 examples of places to take your children so that brings the odds up pretty high in all.

It's not the point "do they turn gay when they grow up". I wouldn't want them to watch someone torturing an animal either, even though I knew it wouldn't led to them doing it.

Yes they are sometimes affected by divorces, they are also affected by losing a pet, or a loved one, or being made fun of, but these things are part of the normal life - Being Gay, and Gay Marrage is Not.

Justice Roberts made that decision for political reasons the same way the Ten Commandments, and Prayer was taken out of schools. Because anything in this country that was ("One nation under God") that is evil, wrong, or a burden to society, they know God has to be removed from the picture for it to benefit, just like they have done so, to get their same sex marriages into law, because traditionally we know it's wrong and unmoral, and the words of God says so in testament several times.
The book of Sodom and Gomorrah is a true testament of what this world is becoming.
And if there truly is a God, I hope I am there to witness what he does to those who have corrupted his word.
That Doc will be "The Brand New Day On The Horizon" not this...

I'm done with this sinful topic.

So what should the punishment be, for such behavior? There have been punishments.

FlowersAtFence.jpg

phpBB [video]

Visiting the Matthew Shepard murder site, 13 years later

General December 28, 2011

By Dan Tham

After Matthew Shepard’s bloodied and frozen body was found tied to a buck fence on October 7, 1998, the city of Laramie, Wyo., changed the names of the streets.

On a wintry day, at the intersection of Pilot Peak and Snowy View Roads, the sky and the snow-covered ground appeared to have no boundary in the Equality State. The desolation of the place 13 years after the murder could be felt despite the houses in the distance.

At 21, Matthew Shepard, 5’2” and 102 lbs, met two Laramie men who were pretending to be gay at a local bar. Planning to rob Shepard, Aaron McKinney, 22, and Russell Henderson, 21, held their victim at gunpoint and took his wallet containing $20. After driving Shepard away from Laramie and tying him to a fence in an isolated area, the two men continued to beat him and finally left him to die.

18 hours later, a cyclist found Shepard’s body. The police officer who responded to the 911 call testified, “Though his face was caked in blood, his face was clean where streaks of tears had washed the blood away.”

About Dan Tham

Dan Q. Tham (b. Dec. 4, 1990), was born and raised in Salt Lake City by Kim Hoa Nguyen and Hoa Tram, immigrants who fled Vietnam by boat shortly after the Vietnam War ended.

From the blog "Traveling With Twain: In Search of America's Identity" http://travelingwithtwain.org/2011/12/28/general/visiting-the-matthew-shepard-murder-site-13-years-later/

----------

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 pm

I didn't see Richie's post - perhaps for the best - but perhaps he should stop private messaging me about film as I might be a bad influence.

It's often quite difficult to know as a gay man whether to laugh or cry at people like promiseland - a guy who's using very similar rhetoric to the Legion of Decency when they were attacking Hollywood for making immoral films in the early 1930s. And, perhaps rather ironically, similar rhetoric to those Christian groups that were attacking a young man called Elvis back in 1956...

As for Matthew Shepherd, his death was a tragedy, but he certainly didn't die in vain as America finally awakened to the horrors of homophobia and the turn in opinion that started then has arguably led to the same-sex marriage victory that started this topic. Anyone interested in Shepherd's story, and the effects it had on the community, should seek out The Laramie Project, a film made a couple of years after the event.

For his album, Songs from the West Coast, Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote a song about those events. Like most of the media coverage, songs and films about the film, there is much concentration on the 911 call, where the caller described Shepherd as looking like a scarecrow tied to a fence.

phpBB [video]

I get the impression that Mr Shepherd is not burning in hell.

When Chris Colfer appeared on Inside the Actor's Studio, he and his castmates got asked the infamous questionaire, one question asks:

"If Heaven exists what would like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?".

Colfer's reply: "Don't listen to them -- you get to come in too".

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Interesting topic.

I could never be gay though.

It's not that im homophobic, i just don't think i could handle being turned down by men as well as women.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I didn't see Richie's post - perhaps for the best - but perhaps he should stop private messaging me about film as I might be a bad influence.

It's a good thing. Insanely offensive AND illiterate. And yet he's still a member here. :?

poormadpeter wrote:It's often quite difficult to know as a gay man whether to laugh or cry at people like promiseland -

I find it horribly sad. I had no idea that promiseland felt that way. I was saddened and shocked. Homophobia is something I'll never, ever understand.

Bodie wrote:I could never be gay though.

It's not that im homophobic, i just don't think i could handle being turned down by men as well as women.

:D

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:06 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I didn't see Richie's post - perhaps for the best - but perhaps he should stop private messaging me about film as I might be a bad influence.

It's a good thing. Insanely offensive AND illiterate. And yet he's still a member here. :?

poormadpeter wrote:It's often quite difficult to know as a gay man whether to laugh or cry at people like promiseland -

I find it horribly sad. I had no idea that promiseland felt that way. I was saddened and shocked. Homophobia is something I'll never, ever understand.

Well, it certainly has little to do with religion, no matter what he says. If I was a gay man who refrained totally from sex, but had the odd peck on the cheek in the park I'd still be burning in hell, no doubt!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

Well, it certainly has little to do with religion, no matter what he says. If I was a gay man who refrained totally from sex, but had the odd peck on the cheek in the park I'd still be burning in hell, no doubt!

If it had to do with religion then a lot of Christians are in serious trouble. I know very few Christians who have actually read the Bible that they love so much. Many will skim easy-to-read pamphlets but very few are willing to give up the time to read the whole thing cover to cover. They will follow the rules that they like but they will completely ignore the rules that are inconvenient. Christians who are homophobic will zealously cite Leviticus 20:13 but will conveniently be ignorant about Deuteronomy 22:11 (clothing), Leviticus 19:28 (tattoos), Leviticus 11:7 (pork consumption), Exodus 31:15 (working on Sabbath -- punishable by death!), Leviticus 19:27 (hair and shaving), Leviticus 15:19 (female menstruation), Luke 12:33 (giving all your money to the poor) Genesis 17:14 (circumcision) and about half of the 10 Commandments!

Sadly, promiseland demonstrated his ignorance about the Bible when he cited the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. The two cities were filled with "wickedness" but the hero, Lot, first tries to offer his daughters to the mob ("...you can do what you like with them") and then later ends up performing incestuous acts with them and impregnating them! How's that for a confused, mixed up message?

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:13 pm

It is amusing that those who are disenchanted with the Supreme Court's decisions call them "political."

Was Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010 "political" as well? It certainly benefited the corporate bottom line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Today, the equal marriage bill in the UK passed its third reading in the House of Lords. The Queen will sign along the dotted line later this week or early next week, with the first same-sex marriages in the UK taking place next year. Well, the current government had to do something good during its 5 year term!

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

poormadpeter wrote:Today, the equal marriage bill in the UK passed its third reading in the House of Lords. The Queen will sign along the dotted line later this week or early next week, with the first same-sex marriages in the UK taking place next year. Well, the current government had to do something good during its 5 year term!

I should be asleep because of my operation in the morning, but I can't sleep. So, a question: the Queen can sign bills? I thought they were out of political activity. ???????

I thought the Royals just waved at crowds and stuff???

Catch the answer, pmp, when I'm better.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:32 pm

The Queen's signing of the bill is ceremonial rjm. Technically, it is Her Majesty's Government, but she doesn't actually make policy.

She does have a daily update on everything that happens in Parliament, and a weekly meeting with the Prime Minister where he can share his concerns, inform her about anything important, and ask advice where appropriate (after six decades, she has pretty much seen it all before).

Good luck with the op.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, sorry I forgot that people don't necessarily know the bizarre way in which our political system works

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Come to the Philippines, although same sex marriage is still not allowed by law, but it is one of the most gay friendly countries (Among the top ten) in the world. I do not believe in same sex marriage but I do not have a problem with that.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:Yes, sorry I forgot that people don't necessarily know the bizarre way in which our political system works

Most people don't necessarily understand the bizarre way OUR political system works! ;)

rjm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD