Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Kissin´ Cousins FTD now!!

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm

phpBB [video]

:D

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Since the cover without the picture is considered most original, I would go without the picture.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 pm

frus75 wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
Tornado wrote:I have serious doubt Ernst would have said that. In fact, I don't believe it at all.

Why don't you believe it? Mike is a credible member, why should he spread any nonsense?

Oh by the way, I prefer the one WITH the family picture, too. Didn't even know the one without.

That's really great - a 50th anniversary release of "Kissin' Cousins" - great timing! Thanks guys at FTD - especially Ernst, Roger and the person who is in charge to obtain the best possible audio quality. :smt023

I believe Mike 100% . And I thank him for this thread! Gracias!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I checked with Ernst and he emaiedl me back quicky with the short sentence : "It’s all pure nonsense" Wich comforted my assumption. Bye for now.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:09 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:Some of the masters were edited. Would be nice if full length versions of "Catchin on Fast" exist.

Exactly. Does some sheet music exist somewhere where we could find at least the missing words of this dirty little thing? :wink:

I really would love to hear Elvis curse during the October 10, 1963 overdub session... :D

Actually the Music Sheet does exist, showing the additional verse that was edited out.
musicsheetcatchinonfast1.JPG

musicsheetcatchinonfast2.JPG

musicsheetcatchinonfast3.JPG

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Dear Mike, Keith, and the other Kissin Cousins soundtrack followers, please count me in.
Compared for instance to the Love in las Vegas soundtrack, it is a step backward. Of course. There are some mediocre or average filmy songs like Barefoot Ballad or even Smokey Mountain Boy, but there are enough good ones to imagine what an EP Extended Play with 4 songs (as for Follow That Dream) or 6 ( Kid Galahad) would have looked like. Kissin Cousins N°1 is a very good song, and so is Tender Feeling. I always liked Kissin Cousins N° 2 too. And I have a soft spot for There's gold in the mountains since I first bought my french EP in 1964. Add Anyone, Once is enough (and One boy, Two girls or Catchin' on Fast have their charm too), and you have an Extended Play much better than the Easy Come Easy Go one.
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying it can compare with the Jailhouse Rock EP ! But the Nashville sound (it's the last time Bill Porter is the sound ingeneer at an Elvis session), the skills of the A Team and Elvis' velvet voice of the early sixties lift the material and make it very listenable.
So thanks Mike for your efforts to put the light on this soundtrack humorously and with passion. And don't let your efforts be put down by some rather silly and too arrogant all knower who thinks he's allmighty on that, besides, very interesting board.
I take the opportunity to say how much I'm waiting for a Flaming Star FTD put together à la Wild in the Country one.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 pm

FRENCHGUY wrote:Dear Mike, Keith, and the other Kissin Cousins soundtrack followers, please count me in.
Compared for instance to the Love in las Vegas soundtrack, it is a step backward. Of course. There are some mediocre or average filmy songs like Barefoot Ballad or even Smokey Mountain Boy, but there are enough good ones to imagine what an EP Extended Play with 4 songs (as for Follow That Dream) or 6 ( Kid Galahad) would have looked like. Kissin Cousins N°1 is a very good song, and so is Tender Feeling. I always liked Kissin Cousins N° 2 too. And I have a soft spot for There's gold in the mountains since I first bought my french EP in 1964. Add Anyone, Once is enough (and One boy, Two girls or Catchin' on Fast have their charm too), and you have an Extended Play much better than the Easy Come Easy Go one.
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying it can compare with the Jailhouse Rock EP ! But the Nashville sound (it's the last time Bill Porter is the sound ingeneer at an Elvis session), the skills of the A Team and Elvis' velvet voice of the early sixties lift the material and make it very listenable.
So thanks Mike for your efforts to put the light on this soundtrack humorously and with passion. And don't let your efforts be put down by some rather silly and too arrogant all knower who thinks he's allmighty on that, besides, very interesting board.
I take the opportunity to say how much I'm waiting for a Flaming Star FTD put together à la Wild in the Country one.

The last time I listened to the Kissin Cousins soundtrack I did not hear the "Nashville Sound" or engineer Bill Porter's skills -- and this is likely because Elvis did all of his vocal overdubs on MGM's Culver City soundstage in early October 1963. So it seems a stretch to deem the final results listenable. And the majority of the material is awful.

Fifteen years ago, Ernst Jorgensen (the real one) spoke with the World Wide Elvis site about what remains from September and October 1963:

What is the situation concerning the KISSIN COUSINS sessions? Did Elvis record his vocal to a pre recorded backing?

Yes, the backing tracks were recorded in Nashville and Elvis supposedly had a cold. He overdubbed them at MGM soundstage in Hollywood in early October 1963.

Have the original tapes been lost?

No, the original tapes exist. RCA has a few, MGM has a few but it's only instrumental tracks.

Do you have "Pappy, Won't You Please Come Home?"

Yes, but this was not recorded by Elvis but by a session singer.

http://www.worldwideelvis.com/inter_.shtml

Hope that was not too negative for y'all. ;-)

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

As too often my dear Doctor, you seem not to understand what is written.
When I speak of the nashville sound, I speak of the sound of the orchestral accompaniment.
The musicians played at studio B with Bill Porter as the engineer, and that Doc, gives a certain sound...called Nashville sound !

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

I don't think the sound is all that bad. The sound got way worse.

ie. Frankie and johnny,
Double trouble,
Harum Scarem,

And a few others.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Wow! Thanks a lot, Keith! ::rocks

I have a cassette (called "Elvis Presley (3)" from EUROPA) that features "Once Is Enough" and when I obtained it in 1987 it was the only song I didn't know from that tape. IIRC, it didn't sound that bad. I'll check it out and let y'all know.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 pm

FRENCHGUY wrote:As too often my dear Doctor, you seem not to understand what is written.
When I speak of the nashville sound, I speak of the sound of the orchestral accompaniment.
The musicians played at studio B with Bill Porter as the engineer, and that Doc, gives a certain sound...called Nashville sound !

Not on Kissin Cousins.

What you seem not to understand what is written is that the MGM vocal overdubs destroyed "the sound of the orchestral accompaniment" taped in Nashville.

Hope I'm not being too negative. ;-)

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Keith's site also includes the sheet music for "Kissin' Cousins (Number 2)."

It's a strong likelihood that these were the lyrics Elvis sang that were later excised from the edited master.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you folks we reached the 3000 views ::rocks. That´s amazing for a so called sloppy soundtrack :smt003.

As a special gift for all the Kissin´Cousins FTD supporters and positive persons :smt005, find here below "the first Mono version of Kissin´ Cousins on 45 rpm and 33 rpm". Choose the one that you most like :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/14444299/file.html

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/41177972/file.html

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
FRENCHGUY wrote:As too often my dear Doctor, you seem not to understand what is written.

Not on Kissin Cousins.

What you seem not to understand what is written is that the MGM vocal overdubs destroyed "the sound of the orchestral accompaniment" taped in Nashville.

Hope I'm not being too negative. ;-)

I don't think it destroyed the sound, and here's why.

You can't make a statement like that just because the vocals were recorded on the soundstage because there are some other
variables to take into account.
As I wrote before, other soundtracks sounded worse. Much worse.
And those are the ones Elvis referred to when he said they put his voice way up front, as on much
of the Frankie and Johnny Sountrack, such as "What every woman lives for" .
And on those songs the sound is very very dry as well with little or no reverb.

Back to the Kissin cousins soundtrack at least part of the sound image was done in Nashville....so far so good.

But they added a bit of reverb to Elvis' voice which helps in cases like this, not to mention, his voice is balanced very nicely
with the backing track.
Those two attributes makes for a decent sounding record.

Yes, the songs are still not up to standard, but they too will get much worse.

In some cases the sound is even better than "Viva Las vegas" , but, that soundtrack had better songs, so we over look that a bit.

Kissin cousins was a movie sign of the times.

The whole Daisy Mae, Beverly Hillibillies, thing was popular for a few years there.

And Pam Austin is easy on the eyes.
Last edited by ekenee on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 am

ekenee wrote:The whole Daisy Mae, Beverly Hillibillies, thing was popular for a few years there.

Excellent point. It's a shame Max Baer, Jr. won the role of Jethro on CBS-TV's "The Beverly Hillbillies." Elvis could have nailed it.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Here's "Once Is Enough" from this particular tape (talkin' 'bout "Tape Hiss"... :roll: :D ):

elvis presley (3) europa.jpg

elvis presley (3) europa (2).jpg

elvis presley (3) europa (3).jpg

elvis presley (3) europa (4).jpg

Elvis Presley - Once Is Enough (Tape).wav (File size: 24MB)
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/83231211/file.html

And my pseudo-remastered version from the same source:

Elvis Presley - Once Is Enough (Tape, remastered).wav (File size: 24MB)
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/96933284/file.html

It's funny that on that cassette the movie-songs like "Do The Clam" and "Return To Sender" for example sound quite okay... compared to "The Girl Of My Best Friend" or "Slowly But Surely". Not to mention the 50's songs... :wink:
But those were the days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:47 pm

I put on my copy of 'Elvis Movies' the other day and 'Kissin' Cousins' really jumped out at me. The sound on that CD is really really good. It's Vic Anesini, and uses DSD technology. All a bit over my head, but it sounds great. I haven't heard it sound that good anywhere else. Perhaps the CM, but haven't listened to that in a while.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:50 pm

KevinK wrote:I put on my copy of 'Elvis Movies' the other day and 'Kissin' Cousins' really jumped out at me. The sound on that CD is really really good. It's Vic Anesini, and uses DSD technology. All a bit over my head, but it sounds great. I haven't heard it sound that good anywhere else. Perhaps the CM, but haven't listened to that in a while.

Unfortunately I never owned that theme CD. Is there a way to upload this so I can do a direct comparison with the CM set?

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:14 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
KevinK wrote:I put on my copy of 'Elvis Movies' the other day and 'Kissin' Cousins' really jumped out at me. The sound on that CD is really really good. It's Vic Anesini, and uses DSD technology. All a bit over my head, but it sounds great. I haven't heard it sound that good anywhere else. Perhaps the CM, but haven't listened to that in a while.

Unfortunately I never owned that theme CD. Is there a way to upload this so I can do a direct comparison with the CM set?

I'll see if I can do that later on today. What are the pre-requisites, presumably it needs to be ripped at lossless quality?

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:18 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here's "Once Is Enough" from this particular tape (talkin' 'bout "Tape Hiss"... :roll: :D ):

elvis presley (3) europa.jpg

elvis presley (3) europa (2).jpg

elvis presley (3) europa (3).jpg

elvis presley (3) europa (4).jpg

Elvis Presley - Once Is Enough (Tape).wav (File size: 24MB)
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/83231211/file.html

And my pseudo-remastered version from the same source:

Elvis Presley - Once Is Enough (Tape, remastered).wav (File size: 24MB)
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/96933284/file.html

It's funny that on that cassette the movie-songs like "Do The Clam" and "Return To Sender" for example sound quite okay... compared to "The Girl Of My Best Friend" or "Slowly But Surely". Not to mention the 50's songs... :wink:
But those were the days.

That´s not bad luckyjackson1 for a shitty cassette with a lot of hiss :smt005. Hope we get the ultimate FTD cd release of Kissin´ Cousins soon and if possible as a 2 cd set :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm

KevinK wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

I'll see if I can do that later on today. What are the pre-requisites, presumably it needs to be ripped at lossless quality?

That would be very kind, Kevin! Either lossless FLAC or WAV would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance! ::rocks

Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:08 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
KevinK wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

That would be very kind, Kevin! Either lossless FLAC or WAV would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance! ::rocks

The upload here below is really nice, mastered by Dick Baxter in 1995 and taken from one of the best Elvis movie collections ever! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/46880127/file.html

Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
KevinK wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

Hopefully this works for you. It's ripped as WAV lossless.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1518827/13%20Kissin%27%20Cousins.wav

(Right click, save as)

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:22 pm

It worked, thanks a lot Kevin!

And thank you Mike, for I never owned the "Command Performances" box set.

And the winner is:

THE ONE FROM "ELVIS MOVIES" !!! A little clearer than the one from the CM set. I wonder if the latter has been no-noised or if it just has a lower EQ modulation?

Mike, yours sounds really flat... :sosorry:

Probably the same mastering as on the "Double Features" edition but can't compare it right now.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:40 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:It worked, thanks a lot Kevin!

And thank you Mike, for I never owned the "Command Performances" box set.

And the winner is:

THE ONE FROM "ELVIS MOVIES" !!! A little clearer than the one from the CM set. I wonder if the latter has been no-noised or if it just has a lower EQ modulation?

Mike, yours sounds really flat... :sosorry:

Probably the same mastering as on the "Double Features" edition but can't compare it right now.

Could be something to do with DSD perhaps? That's the only thing I can think of anyway..

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:28 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote: Mike, yours sounds really flat... :sosorry:

No problem lucky, I like the sound on this compilation any way :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.