Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Mon May 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I mentioned this on the thread that had been started regarding the recent Evil Dead film, which I was very disappointed in, but found the final ten minutes (or so) to be worth the rest of the entire movie. Here, there was some real inspiration and influence from Raimi, with a manic turn and good camera work. Too little, too late, of course. But I just have to wonder where this was during the previous hour, with dull performances and no thrills or excitement.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 pm

greystoke wrote:I mentioned this on the thread that had been started regarding the recent Evil Dead film, which I was very disappointed in, but found the final ten minutes (or so) to be worth the rest of the entire movie. Here, there was some real inspiration and influence from Raimi, with a manic turn and good camera work. Too little, too late, of course. But I just have to wonder where this was during the previous hour, with dull performances and no thrills or excitement.

Yeah it was a let down i was so looing forward to this movie too !!!

Tue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Watched 4 yesterday...

Jim Carrey & Steve Carell in The Incredible Burt Wonderlust: Really it was pretty dire and in fact I fell asleep.

Bradley Cooper, Eva Mendes in The Place Beyond The Pines:I didn't particularly care for the photography of this film but its an excellent crime drama, some excellent acting I thought and a really enjoyable storyline. Would recommend it.

Jason Statham & Jennifer Lopez in Parker: If you like the sort movies that Statham stars in then you will probably like this, it was very predictable and the highlight of the film was J-Lo in her underwear.

Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly plus more in Quartet Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut. This is a very charming movie, beautiful scenery throughout and about former musicians in a retirement home, recommended.

Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Watched 4 yesterday...

Jim Carrey & Steve Carell in The Incredible Burt Wonderlust: Really it was pretty dire and in fact I fell asleep.

Bradley Cooper, Eva Mendes in The Place Beyond The Pines:I didn't particularly care for the photography of this film but its an excellent crime drama, some excellent acting I thought and a really enjoyable storyline. Would recommend it.

Jason Statham & Jennifer Lopez in Parker: If you like the sort movies that Statham stars in then you will probably like this, it was very predictable and the highlight of the film was J-Lo in her underwear.

Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly plus more in Quartet Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut. This is a very charming movie, beautiful scenery throughout and about former musicians in a retirement home, recommended.

I haven't seen The Incredible Burt Wonderstone or Quartet, yet. Hoffman's directorial debut appeals to me most out of the two, but I'll eventually see both. I have seen, and liked, both The Place Beyond the Pines and Parker. The Place Beyond the Pines is very much a contemporary equivalent of a Greek tragedy, with the narrative sweep and sins of the fathers embroiled into quite an epic. There's good story-telling at large here, and I liked the cinematography. Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling continue to impress with their acting, and I think this was another step up for Cooper. It was also good to see Eva Mendes in something more such substantial. I can only agree with you in recommending this one, Julian.

Parker was also good, but I think it could have been better -- I expected more with Taylor Hackford directing. Plus, the story is familiar enough with regards to where it takes the Parker character. Especially if you've seen Payback or Point Blank. That aside, it's a good action caper. Statham is usually reliable and frequently interesting as an actor who knows where his talents lie. Parker plays to his strengths, and vice-versa -- especially with the action scenes, which are well choreographed. I think the narrative tries to offer more in terms of character development and story, but never really gets there because it's obvious what type of movie this is, and should be. Jennifer Lopez is another smart, interesting and talented actress, although her part here is surely beefed-up a little. She acquitted herself well, though. Although, there are definitely shades of Out of Sight here, with regards to Lopez's role, if not her character. Had someone other than Taylor Hackford been directing, John Hyams or Simon West, for example, then I probably would have gotten what I expected. And that's a good caper, with charismatic actors in the central roles, plenty of action, nice comedic touches and gorgeous scenery. All of which Parker has, even if it's a few notches below the best films of its kind. Out of Sight in particular!

Thu May 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I saw The Great Gatsby at the cinema today, the latest big screen adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel, directed by Baz Luhrmann and starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the eponymous Gatsby. Here, DiCaprio makes for, possibly, the best Jay Gatsby to date. He's everything the character should be, with dazzling good looks, charisma to spare and an understanding of this complex character. Unfortunately, the movie, itself, doesn't live up to DiCaprio, suffering from the same hollow veneer that made Jack Clayton's version aloof, and makes this almost impenetrable. Luhrmann is certainly a visionary, and his imagination runs wild on the screen, yet, despite being very true to the novel, the story-telling aspect is lost amidst the show that he creates. Particularly frustrating is the use of a brief average shot-length, which is met with editing so snappy that it's almost impossible to really appreciate what's on screen. There's some dazzling CGI, terrific set-design and lavish costumes to enjoy, if only we had the chance to really look. And that's indicative of the narrative, which moves at a rattling pace with hardly a pause, especially during the first third of the film, as Gatsby's parties are the talk of the town and a feast for the eyes. Here, DiCaprio's introduction makes for one of the film's best scenes, all the while narrated by Toby Maguire's Nick Carraway. A character omnipresent throughout the film, to the point of overuse (and annoyance) and being little more than a middleman between Gatsby and the audience. This part of the film doesn't work, and may be the crux of its problems, as Carraway narrates from a sanitorium, his/Fitzgerald's words appearing, quite literally, on the screen. And this is something that, partly, keeps Gatsby so aloof throughout the film. Even as his story is revealed, the impetus is lost in spite of the backstory and his obvious affection for Carey Mulligan's Daisy Buchanan. The cast, on the whole, are fine across the board, despite several characters being fleeting, incidental and one-dimensional. The Jay-Z produced soundtrack brings some added zest to the proceedings, and this, I could have done with more of -- especially with Luhrmann unwilling to dial it back a few notches. Along with some heavy use of symbolism - the famed green beacon of the novel being the main culprit here - Luhrmann's cinematic nods and influences are also worn on his sleeve, from Citizen Kane to Rear Window, Sunset Boulevard and Some Came Running. But those films had characters who we could understand and care about. Here, Luhrmann doesn't allow for that, although it's testament to DiCaprio that we can get a feel for who, and what, Jay Gatsby is in this movie.

Sun May 19, 2013 7:02 am

Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Well, while everything was going on in the overstimulating environment of the theater (I saw it in Real 3D XD), I really enjoyed it. I was surprised by what began to reveal itself, and at first, in the theater, I was excited about it. And I came out having enjoyed the film, and the experience. The experience is part film, part theme-park ride.

But the next day, and the day after that . . . I started to feel a bit differently. It is NOT a remake, but its attempt to reach out to the Trekkers starts to seem a little "cheap." As in a cheap tactic, especially when a well-known character makes a well-known scream! After a while, you almost feel it's a parody, and it shouldn't feel like that. And of course, the whole scene with the "glass" does the same thing, but with little emotional wallop. The scene that is the biggest "spoiler" (so I can't reveal it just yet) is exciting at the time, but then you feel like they've completely manipulated you - and too easily. And there are many other references to the old crew, and crews, including DS9. At first I thought this was a good thing, respectful and so forth, but now, on further reflection, it shows a lack of imagination.

"Bones" does a good "Bones." I'll say that. But that's the thing: it's like watching a whole cast of "Trek Tribute Artists." That can't be good, no matter how they try.

Someone said that Bill Shatner can't be in it, because his presence would overshadow Chris Pine. That wasn't an issue with Sir Patrick Stewart in Generations! If the actor can be overshadowed like that, well that says something about what they are doing. Stewart wasn't another incarnation of "Kirk." He was Jean-Luc Picard. He was a character with a wellspring of spirit completely separate from "Kirk." And that makes ALL the difference. At least to me.

It's a very exciting experience, well-executed except for some geographical/topographical errors regarding San Francisco (I've spoken to people who've lived there), and the average person will enjoy it. I also think the average Trekker will enjoy it. But we won't be interested in watching it again. It's not a "remake," but it's strange, and it really pales in comparison to the original to which it alludes.

But, I would say: go. You will love the wild ride!

rjm

Mon May 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I saw Fast and the Furious 6 at the cinema today. It begins giving a nod to the previous five instalments, and ends in a way that suggests something far more interesting will be in store for Fast and the Furious 7. In between, it's the usual reckless abandon, wreckage, fast cars and a semblance of plot. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a let down after the previous film, which benefited tremendously from Vin Diesel and Co. finding a formidable opponent in Dwayne Johnson. With Johnson and Diesel's characters uniting, the sense of danger and immediacy is entirely gone. Especially with the trailer revealing almost everything this film has to offer. Which isn't a great deal, unless you're a fan of the series.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 am

Not been to the cinema in ages - not really possible for varying reasons at the moment. But have picked up some cheap Blu-rays of late of films that passed me by first time around.

One was a film from 2005 with Jason Stathan, Ryan Phillippe and Wesley Snipes called Chaos. it's a relatively routine bank heist/mystery thriller but is actually very well done and worth seeking out (I suspect it was straight to DVD over here). I confess it is the first film that I remember that I have seen Jason Statham in, and come away wondering how he has had an acting career - I saw no evidence of his acting in the film other than a husky whisper - but other than that this was a pleasant way to spend 100 minutes or so, and the twists and turns in the plot were fun.

Meanwhile, and a very different film, was Taking Woodstock. I never really fancied it, but finally picked it up for a watch. I thought it was an enchanting movie, and brilliantly played by all concerned. one of the few films where I actually sat there with a big grin on my face from start to finish. Wonderful stuff, and interesting from a Hollywood point of view. Directed by Ang Lee just a few years after Brokeback Mountain, it seemed ironic that Hollywood trumpeted Brokeback as a breakthrough movie when it comes to gay and lesbians onscreen, whereas it was actually Taking Woodstock that was the breakthrough. TW doesn't care that it's lead character is gay. He just is. The breakthrough is that there can be a gay lead character without the film having to be about being gay. One of the few Hollywood films where this happens is The Night Listener with Robin Williams. It wasn;t something I knew before I watched it, I have to say. But I certainly found it to be a lovely film in many ways.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I saw Byzantium at the cinema on friday. Neil Jordan's latest film, starring the very talented Gemma Arterton and Saorise Ronan, as two-hundred year-old vampire mother and daughter who are trying to survive in a coastal town. They're on the lam after the mother, Clara, played by Arterton, falls foul of her strip club employees and kills a mysterious man whom she is pursued by in a thrilling chase near the start of the film. On the coastal town, a series of flashbacks offer insight into the story of these two girls, telling how they became undead and revealing the source of Clara's fears and paranoia. Eleanor, her daughter, wants to tell their story and cannot contain her thoughts, so endeavours to write her experiences down on paper. When her sanity and safety is questioned by a college lecturer, danger and panic ensues along with their past catching up.

This is a vampire film that establishes some of its own rules and avoids many of the known tropes of the genre. Daylight isn't a problem for these creatures, whilst, in place of fangs, a talon-like thumbnail is used to pierce the wrists of willing participants or be throttled into the necks of victims and foes. A novel approach, although the film is too self-aware on occasions, but is played entirely straight and with much style and atmosphere. Arterton is terrific here, impressing once again with an assertive, sexy performance, which plays in contrast to the soft-spoken Ronan, whose Eleanor is gentle and introspective. The primary cast is small, but also includes Jonny Lee Miller, seen in flashback as syphilitic creep, whose actions are pivotal to the story. Daniel Mays, as a grief-stricken sap, whom Clara plays on for her and Eleanor's benefit. And Caleb Landry Jones, as a young waiter whom Eleanor befriends.

At times, this is an invigorating and exciting film, although it's free of genuine scares. The blood does flow thick and occasionally fast, with the emphasis on mood and the telling of an intriguing story emphasised over creating scares. Unfortunately, this is dashed by a slightly contrived and obvious climax that works, if only just. Byzantium does some new things for the vampire film, but won't be considered revolutionary or pivotal in doing so. Whilst it's unlikely to find the audience numbers of the Twilight films or more generic crowd-pleasers. But this is a worthwhile and involving film that suffers a few plot holes too many, but is largely satisfying. Especially with such fine performances by the two splendid female leads.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 pm

greystoke wrote:I saw Byzantium at the cinema on friday. Neil Jordan's latest film, starring the very talented Gemma Arterton and Saorise Ronan, as two-hundred year-old vampire mother and daughter who are trying to survive in a coastal town. They're on the lam after the mother, Clara, played by Arterton, falls foul of her strip club employees and kills a mysterious man whom she is pursued by in a thrilling chase near the start of the film. On the coastal town, a series of flashbacks offer insight into the story of these two girls, telling how they became undead and revealing the source of Clara's fears and paranoia. Eleanor, her daughter, wants to tell their story and cannot contain her thoughts, so endeavours to write her experiences down on paper. When her sanity and safety is questioned by a college lecturer, danger and panic ensues along with their past catching up.

This is a vampire film that establishes some of its own rules and avoids many of the known tropes of the genre. Daylight isn't a problem for these creatures, whilst, in place of fangs, a talon-like thumbnail is used to pierce the wrists of willing participants or be throttled into the necks of victims and foes. A novel approach, although the film is too self-aware on occasions, but is played entirely straight and with much style and atmosphere. Arterton is terrific here, impressing once again with an assertive, sexy performance, which plays in contrast to the soft-spoken Ronan, whose Eleanor is gentle and introspective. The primary cast is small, but also includes Jonny Lee Miller, seen in flashback as syphilitic creep, whose actions are pivotal to the story. Daniel Mays, as a grief-stricken sap, whom Clara plays on for her and Eleanor's benefit. And Caleb Landry Jones, as a young waiter whom Eleanor befriends.

At times, this is an invigorating and exciting film, although it's free of genuine scares. The blood does flow thick and occasionally fast, with the emphasis on mood and the telling of an intriguing story emphasised over creating scares. Unfortunately, this is dashed by a slightly contrived and obvious climax that works, if only just. Byzantium does some new things for the vampire film, but won't be considered revolutionary or pivotal in doing so. Whilst it's unlikely to find the audience numbers of the Twilight films or more generic crowd-pleasers. But this is a worthwhile and involving film that suffers a few plot holes too many, but is largely satisfying. Especially with such fine performances by the two splendid female leads.

Cheers for the review greystoke :smt023

Because the weather has been so good in scotland(i know hard to believe) the past 2 week i have not been to the cinema much,but i did go to see hangover 3,as a fan of the first 2 movies,i was left very dissapointed on part 3.it started off well and the story was good,but the movie was just not funny !!!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 am

Man of Steel, I'd rate 4 out of 5, a bit of an overload in action in the last half hour but by far the best Superman film Ive seen.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 am

Eddie wrote:Man of Steel, I'd rate 4 out of 5, a bit of an overload in action in the last half hour but by far the best Superman film Ive seen.

I went to see it last night too.it was ok for me,i enjoyed it in parts.i found it took to long to get to the point, if they cut half an hour off the movie it would have been better it dragged on for too long.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:27 am

i saw the hobbit this week on dvd
great movie
jan

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 am

swagers wrote:i saw the hobbit this week on dvd
great movie
jan

Another movie i found way too long ! but my daughter liked it ok !!!
Last edited by rocknroller on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:53 am

Gentleman's Agreement, streamed in HD: Blu-Ray quality.

It was like watching it for the first time. Gregory Peck looked SO young, if you're used to him as "Atticus." Here, he's a young fella starting out as a writer, unsure of himself, but sure of his ideals.

If you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil the more moving family scenes. But it is a guide to living a righteous life, without selling out, when that would be easy. It's not just an "issue" film; I found it very timely, but the group in question is just different. It's really about Peck's character, and the decisions he must make. So, it's about hypocrisy and how to resist it.

If you know about Kazan, the director, that makes it sad. Because he did sell people out, later.

They should do a remake, but change the outcast social group. It could work well with the right production.

And the picture quality! Extraordinary! No hash in the print: very nice. I tried to watch Easy Rider in HD stream, but it only accentuated the bad print. I'm really learning about this restoration process in bringing out the high definition. Garbage in, garbage out --- that's the rule.

Great experience. I want to watch more old films. Next: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. I will report back!

It's late. Night all!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:34 pm

rjm wrote:Gentleman's Agreement, streamed in HD: Blu-Ray quality.

It was like watching it for the first time. Gregory Peck looked SO young, if you're used to him as "Atticus." Here, he's a young fella starting out as a writer, unsure of himself, but sure of his ideals.

If you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil the more moving family scenes. But it is a guide to living a righteous life, without selling out, when that would be easy. It's not just an "issue" film; I found it very timely, but the group in question is just different. It's really about Peck's character, and the decisions he must make. So, it's about hypocrisy and how to resist it.

If you know about Kazan, the director, that makes it sad. Because he did sell people out, later.

They should do a remake, but change the outcast social group. It could work well with the right production.

And the picture quality! Extraordinary! No hash in the print: very nice. I tried to watch Easy Rider in HD stream, but it only accentuated the bad print. I'm really learning about this restoration process in bringing out the high definition. Garbage in, garbage out --- that's the rule.

Great experience. I want to watch more old films. Next: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. I will report back!

It's late. Night all!

rjm

Mr Smith is a great film

As for Gentleman's Agreement, I haven't seen it in about ten years, but found it to be remarkably naive. It seemed to me to be one of those films where Hollywood trumpets how brave it can be, and then making something which really isn't particularly good. (Brokeback Mountain and Crash being recent examples). Gentleman's Agreement is better than both, if only for the wonderful performances and the fact that it tackles a difficult issue at a particularly delicate time.

As for me, I had to rewatch Perks of Being a Wallflower today for a paper I'm giving next week on mental health issues in film. Cried like a baby after seeing it the first time. Cried like a baby after seeing it the second time!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Somehow "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" didn't work for me. It certainly is a good movie but neither left a big impression on me nor did I cry.

Anyway, I watched "Small Apartments" - funny, crazy litte film that runs a little out of steam during the final minutes.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 am

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:Gentleman's Agreement, streamed in HD: Blu-Ray quality.

It's late. Night all!

rjm

Mr Smith is a great film

As for Gentleman's Agreement, I haven't seen it in about ten years, but found it to be remarkably naive. It seemed to me to be one of those films where Hollywood trumpets how brave it can be, and then making something which really isn't particularly good. (Brokeback Mountain and Crash being recent examples). Gentleman's Agreement is better than both, if only for the wonderful performances and the fact that it tackles a difficult issue at a particularly delicate time.

As for me, I had to rewatch Perks of Being a Wallflower today for a paper I'm giving next week on mental health issues in film. Cried like a baby after seeing it the first time. Cried like a baby after seeing it the second time!

Will watch.

Meanwhile, I thought Gentleman's Agreement hedged twice.

Spoiler alert: if you haven't seen it, don't read this! Just don't. Please.

1. With the ending. It was important that Peck totally sacrifice his own happiness for his ideals, so no happy ending with the girl. If there's no major sacrifice, it hurts the premise. He must give up the present for the future.

2. With the boy. He mentioned kids getting chased and beaten up. But that doesn't happen. They could have scripted it so it would be likely under the circumstances. Peck could have said "if they ask you, just say "and if I was, would it make a difference?" That way, the boy doesn't lie, yet is placed in peril. Make Peck MORE naive! He doesn't sacrifice the child, when in real life, the chances are that it could have been a more serious incident. That is the historical reality, after all.

And THAT would have complicated his romantic relationship!!

So, Kazan only went so far with it. Still, it was a film that needed to be made at the time.

That's why a remake, substituting a different minority (who try to "pass") would work well. And hold nothing back this time.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 am

Saw world war z at the weekend,ok but I think the walking dead is better

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 am

Last night i saw "The Purge"not the best film i have seen lately and "Olympus has fallen"a good film about The kidnap of the president of the USA and the take over of the Whitehouse

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 am

Not seen a movie in ages ! weather too good just chilling in the garden !!!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:45 pm

"The Awakening" starring Rebecca Hall. Turned it off after about fourty minutes.

Then I watched "River Of No Return" starring Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe. :smt007
Watched it about ten times already and I still love it. Timeless movie.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:20 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:"The Awakening" starring Rebecca Hall. Turned it off after about fourty minutes.

Then I watched "River Of No Return" starring Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe. :smt007
Watched it about ten times already and I still love it. Timeless movie.

"River Of No Return" classic !!!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 am

Grown ups 2 not as good as the first but still funny,Heat very funny !!!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 am

heat was good