Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Wooden Heart / Tonight's All Right For Love (German sing

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 am

PetriTCB and bajo, thanks for your contributions.

It appears that the extended version was on both stereo and mono original 1960 pressings of the “G.I. Blues” LP. The long mono master was also issued on a single (47-9340) in 1960 and the long stereo master was later issued on the “Elvis In Germany” album. This means that the original short master was unreleased when it first appeared on the “A Legendary Performer Volume 1” album in 1973. It then looks like RCA used the original length master on newer German pressings of the “G.I. Blues” album after 1973.

(Thanks to Keith for this. :wink: )

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:21 pm

I found out my source. It was Elvis Information Network's news about Elvis in Germany import CD on May 20th, 2012. There reads that "This is the only CD that contains the complete extended master take of Tonight's All Right for Love, as released on the German RCA vinyl single plus the RCA Germany G.I. Blues vinyl LP 1st pressing!".

Elvis: A Legendary Performer - Volume 1 was released in 1974. I do not believe that G.I. Blue's second pressing in Germany was made in 1974.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:24 am

PetriTCB wrote:I found out my source. It was Elvis Information Network's news about Elvis in Germany import CD on May 20th, 2012. There reads that "This is the only CD that contains the complete extended master take of Tonight's All Right for Love, as released on the German RCA vinyl single plus the RCA Germany G.I. Blues vinyl LP 1st pressing!".

Elvis: A Legendary Performer - Volume 1 was released in 1974. I do not believe that G.I. Blue's second pressing in Germany was made in 1974.

Thanks a lot! I guess the 2nd pressings were done in 1963 a. s. o.

Funny as I don't believe the extended STEREO master had ever been released as a single. Or am I wrong?

Can anybody please confirm if there was a stereo release of the german 45RPM "Wooden Heart"/"Tonight's All Right For Love" or not?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Here's my ultimate attempt at re-creating the original splice (but with the stereo master) and I don't think it gets better than this.

Don't wanna brag but I guess I improved it a little. :wink:

Oh, and Jimmy: I liked your splice, it wasn't that bad at all! :)

Tonight's All Right For Love (Extended stereo version, best possible splice).wav (File size: 23MB)
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/47358542/file.html

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Haha.. that's the first time I've ever heard the original extended version. It's terrible! How did they listen to that and think 'Yep, that'll do!'. Incredible.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:42 pm

KevinK wrote:Haha.. that's the first time I've ever heard the original extended version. It's terrible! How did they listen to that and think 'Yep, that'll do!'. Incredible.

It is. But I've known it since I was a little bitty kid (in fact still am :D ) and it was perfectly normal to me. I was confused when I heard the original short master for the first time.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here's my ultimate attempt at re-creating the original splice (but with the stereo master) and I don't think it gets better than this.

Tonight's All Right For Love (Extended stereo version, best possible splice).wav (File size: 23MB)

Good work - it's great to have this.

I do have a French G.I. Blues EP containing the short version and a German single Wooden Heart / Tonight's All Right For Love which I'm fairly certain is the spliced version. Both mono, of course, and both bought in the mid-to-late 1960s.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

Steve Morse wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Here's my ultimate attempt at re-creating the original splice (but with the stereo master) and I don't think it gets better than this.

Good work - it's great to have this.

I do have a French G.I. Blues EP containing the short version and a German single Wooden Heart / Tonight's All Right For Love which I'm fairly certain is the spliced version. Both mono, of course, and both bought in the mid-to-late 1960s.

It is, Steve. Just check out my initial post. :wink:

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm

In the movie "Sweet Dreams," which is Patsy Cline's life story, there is a scene where "Tonight's All Right For Love" plays in the background. I don't know who sings the song. It's a male singer, but not Elvis. This movie was made in 1985, but obviously the scene was set in the '60s. I always thought this was a strange song to play given that it was virtually unknown in the U.S.A. in the '60s.

MT

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:In the movie "Sweet Dreams," which is Patsy Cline's life story, there is a scene where "Tonight's All Right For Love" plays in the background. I don't know who sings the song. It's a male singer, but not Elvis. This movie was made in 1985, but obviously the scene was set in the '60s. I always thought this was a strange song to play given that it was virtually unknown in the U.S.A. in the '60s.

MT

Really strange decisions were made sometimes...

I also recall seeing the scene from "G.I. Blues" where Elvis performs this song (in awful picture and sound-quality). I don't remember if it was the complete performance or just from the trailer. Can anybody help me out on this?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 pm

The scene where Elvis does "Tonight's All Right For Love" is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYSgOweGeS8

The quality is not that good, but it seemed to me that Elvis' lips move to the song, i.e., it is not simply an overdub to "Tonight Is So Right For Love." It appears to be the short version.

MT

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for the link, MT! ::rocks

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:10 am

A little correction: the first time I heard "Tonight Is So Right For Love" was on the 1983 CAMDEN budget release "Love Songs". Really loved that album, as it was one of the very first Elvis records I ever owned.
I don't know how someone can put "I Love Only One Girl" right after "Burning Love"... :roll:

But boy, I L-O-V-E-D that front cover! :smt007

Elvis Love Songs front.jpeg

Elvis Love Songs back.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:25 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:I also recall seeing the scene from "G.I. Blues" where Elvis performs this song (in awful picture and sound-quality). I don't remember if it was the complete performance or just from the trailer. Can anybody help me out on this?

MysteryTrain wrote:The scene where Elvis does "Tonight's All Right For Love" is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYSgOweGeS8

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the link, MT! ::rocks

It can also be found on this very site in the Rare Video Footage section 8)

Keith

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 am

Keith wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I also recall seeing the scene from "G.I. Blues" where Elvis performs this song (in awful picture and sound-quality). I don't remember if it was the complete performance or just from the trailer. Can anybody help me out on this?

MysteryTrain wrote:The scene where Elvis does "Tonight's All Right For Love" is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYSgOweGeS8

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the link, MT! ::rocks

It can also be found on this very site in the Rare Video Footage section 8)

Keith

Thanks, Keith - that was actually where I saw it for the first time! :facep: :D