Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Three Corn Patches - really that bad?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 am

Don't care for the song..............outtakes sound better, it's needs some great backing too, more oomph.........weak vocals by Elvis..................I wonder what it would have sounded like in the early 60's............?!!!!!! Girl of mine is not one of my favourites either..................skip, skip,....................... :(

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 am

I think the outtake of "Girl Of Mine" (Take 9) is pretty neat, although overall it's quite a stinker.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:25 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
r&b wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I like Old McDonald more than Three Corn Patches!

I like ANY Leiber/Stoller song over the hideous Old McDonald, maybe in the bottom 5 movie songs of all time! Embarrassing for 1966.

Well if you take the song and the performance into consideration, I will take Elvis' Old McDonald, Confidence, Yoga Is As Yoga Does, etc, over Three Corn Patches. Most of Elvis performances after 1970 are such that I would have never been a fan at all had his career started with the Elvis Now LP. It is only by the merit of his 1954-1970 output that he even sold a single record after Elvis Country. I will take ANY of his 60s soundtracks over any album he did after Elvis Country.

You make a good point. I would not introduce a new fan to Elvis with the Raised on Rock album.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:55 pm

r&b wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
r&b wrote:

I like ANY Leiber/Stoller song over the hideous Old McDonald, maybe in the bottom 5 movie songs of all time! Embarrassing for 1966.

Well if you take the song and the performance into consideration, I will take Elvis' Old McDonald, Confidence, Yoga Is As Yoga Does, etc, over Three Corn Patches. Most of Elvis performances after 1970 are such that I would have never been a fan at all had his career started with the Elvis Now LP. It is only by the merit of his 1954-1970 output that he even sold a single record after Elvis Country. I will take ANY of his 60s soundtracks over any album he did after Elvis Country.

You make a good point. I would not introduce a new fan to Elvis with the Raised on Rock album.

Back in '88 I played the song "Raised On Rock" from my walkman to a schoolmate and he LOVED it!!! Unfortunately he commited suicide in the 90's.

The same year another schoolmate listened (via my walkman too) to the June 10, 1972 E. S. version of "Funny How Time Slips Away" and he loved it so much, he couldn't stop listening. Heck, he didn't even want to give me my walkman back! These were some of the very few positive adventures I had being an Elvis fan in the eighties in Germany.

Sorry for getting a little off-topic again. But no, I wouldn't introduce a new fan to Elvis with the "Raised On Rock" album either. I got this album rather late but already listened to "If You Don't Come Back" a few years earlier from my cousin's copy of that album. As a ten-year old I thought it was pretty cool.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:/
Back in '88 I played the song "Raised On Rock" from my walkman to a schoolmate and he LOVED it!!! Unfortunately he commited suicide in the 90's.

Man I didn't think Raised on Rock was THAT bad...

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:19 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
r&b wrote:

100pct agreed

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:24 pm

guidedbyvoices wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
r&b wrote:

100pct agreed

You would take ANY 60's soundtrack over the Promised Land and Today albums? Those 2 are probably his best post Elvis Country albums, and although not great as albums, they did have their moments.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:37 pm

r&b wrote:
guidedbyvoices wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
r&b wrote:

100pct agreed

You would take ANY 60's soundtrack over the Promised Land and Today albums? Those 2 are probably his best post Elvis Country albums, and although not great as albums, they did have their moments.

I mean its not really a Sophie's Choice here. Mediocrity on either side. But I'm just not a big fan of his post TTWII/Country/love letters stuff. And while I can now get into something like Good Time Charlie or Hurt, if I heard any of his post 71 stuff first I'd never ever ever have become a big fan. As albums I think Promised Land and Today are weak with one or two gems.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 pm

guidedbyvoices wrote:
r&b wrote:
guidedbyvoices wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
r&b wrote:

100pct agreed

I mean its not really a Sophie's Choice here. Mediocrity on either side. But I'm just not a big fan of his post TTWII/Country/love letters stuff. And while I can now get into something like Good Time Charlie or Hurt, if I heard any of his post 71 stuff first I'd never ever ever have become a big fan. As albums I think Promised Land and Today are weak with one or two gems.

Yes I feel that way as well, but I also feel the 60's soundtracks were weak albums with one or two gems. I think there are maybe 10 albums in his career that stand alone as great albums without many weak cuts on them.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 pm

TCP is just a piece of rock n roll boogie woogie that's fun. The complete, unedited master take shows some fire and spirit towards the end. It's fine.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:36 am

It's not fine. It is crap, primarily because the singer was not in shape to be recording an album. He sounds so pitiful. He certainly sounds like he's on downers on Just A Little Bit and If You Don't Come Back. His voice sounds like a 45 played at 33 speed.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:49 am

The performance is not good. I am surprise it was even released.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:06 am

guidedbyvoices wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:/

Man I didn't think Raised on Rock was THAT bad...

Somehow I expected that answer. :)

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Perhaps he played TCP by mistake ? no i kinda like it, sang at a different time perhaps more 71/72 he might have made it really rock ? but as stated he wasnt in the best shape ..........

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:24 pm

stevelecher wrote:It's not fine. It is crap, primarily because the singer was not in shape to be recording an album. He sounds so pitiful. He certainly sounds like he's on downers on Just A Little Bit and If You Don't Come Back. His voice sounds like a 45 played at 33 speed.

Fabbe wrote:The performance is not good. I am surprise it was even released.

I agree with you both. First heard the song, I quickly skipped it. "Find Out What's Happening" is a better song, IMO. Loved Tanya Tucker's remake of this song in the 1990s!

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
stevelecher wrote:It's not fine. It is crap, primarily because the singer was not in shape to be recording an album. He sounds so pitiful. He certainly sounds like he's on downers on Just A Little Bit and If You Don't Come Back. His voice sounds like a 45 played at 33 speed.

Fabbe wrote:The performance is not good. I am surprise it was even released.

I agree with you both. First heard the song, I quickly skipped it. "Find Out What's Happening" is a better song, IMO. Loved Tanya Tucker's remake of this song in the 1990s!

Interesting, several nieces and nephews of mine who are into Taylor Swift, Jessie J, Naughty Boy, The Gaslight Anthem, David Guetta, think Just a little bit is a great fun track and also like the long version of three corn patches on the FTD release.

I was inclined to think that perhaps who ever they were currently listening to were poor vocalists, and even an off form Elvis sounded better, but one can hardly say that of Taylor Swift and Jessie J.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:51 am

How about "If You Don't Come Back"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UNRHq2Qo4hM#at=33

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:How about "If You Don't Come Back"

I kinda like "If You Don't Come Back".

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:01 am

JimmyCool wrote:

I kinda like "If You Don't Come Back".

Me too. At least the backing track. :mrgreen:

Seriously, Elvis' tired sounding vocal somehow fits the subject of the song.

Just like I said, as a ten-year old I thought this was a pretty cool tune.

Somebody ever listened to my special extended splice yet? It's probably as badly edited as "Tonight's All Right For Love"... but somehow I kinda like that one too! :wink:

If You Don't Come Back - (Splice Of Takes 1,2,3,5,6,8 & 9).wav (File size: 43MB)
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/36830197/file.html

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

"Three Corn Patches" is a three chord blues that Elvis should have, certainly could have, nailed, but unfortunately couldn't, due to his obvious heavily medicated state.

That said, it's not as awful as some of the drama queens here make it out to be. I, personally like his phrasing and vocal better on Take 14.

Feltone could have spliced together all the better elements, or composites of the song to complete a much better "Master", such as, I've always wondered why James never gave the song a ripping solo in the middle or at the end of the song !?

Some pre and post production arranging and production could have made the track a much more album friendly listening experience.

Weird, as it would have also been a perfect opportunity to flash off some chickin' pickin' style playing, but oh well, it is what it is ...

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I enjoy three corn patches, i never skip it.

me too.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:55 pm

So the outcome here is Leiber & Stoller really didn't compose such a dud, but the final master makes it appear as such. I kind agree with that. Could have been a pretty good rocker in 1957.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:53 am

Much better in its original version by the Drifters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQi1yNYBhw

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 am

It's good...for sure. Just shows what might have been.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I have always liked Elvis' version of Three Corn Patches, much better than tracks such as Girl of Mine.