Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 am

I refer to Elvis' cousin Gene Smith, who was close to Elvis for years and years, growing up, and in the business. Then he seemed to disappear in the early '60s. He is not Junior; he did not die suddenly at the time. He was just . . . gone. Out of the group, completely.

His name came up in another thread (well, I thought of him), and I still don't know how or why they parted in the early 60s. There is a book, which I must admit I looked at in a B&N, but did not buy, and thus did not read. That's happened with about a half-dozen of them that I regret not getting now. I'm not sure that it solved the issue in any case, because I've never seen it described anywhere. The parting.

Anyway, there was mention of him in another thread where a young lady who dated Elvis described an angry parting with a "friend," and a knowledgeable member speculated that it might be Gene Smith. Very ferocious fight, where Elvis threw the guy out, and told him to never come back. That he had "misrepresented" Elvis, and harmed his "reputation." Along those lines.

There are hints all over, but I haven't seen anything solid, and I'm assuming it's not in that book, since it was authorized by family. And it hasn't come out anywhere else. MMs have indicated that his IQ didn't seem that impressive, and in "Word for Word" by Osborne, there's that long '62 interview with Lloyd Shearer, stitched together from a couple different tapes, and then transcribed. At one point, the tape breaks off when Elvis has to leave briefly for a rest stop. When it starts up again, Elvis is livid at Gene: "you TOLD!" Doesn't indicated what he "told." And Elvis said something to the effect that he'd have "half the South on my a**" because of what Gene "told," but there really is no indication of what that could be. None at all. Shearer had asked an odd question about the United Nations, but Osborne said it was unrelated. Shearer certainly revealed nothing.

In another instance, it is clearly Gene who Johnny Rivers called a raw name after he was ranting on and on about the Freedom Riders. Elvis had to get in between them basically, and quiet Gene down, and smile at Johnny. (And we know what Elvis' grin looked like: that lopsided grin that spoke its own language.)

With all this, I suppose one wonders why he was there so long, but still, he was, and he was his cousin. They were close growing up: there are pictures. So, there he was. And then, there he wasn't.

Others usually came back, but I don't think he ever did.

Does anyone know quite what happened? Was it a slow parting, or a sudden explosion? Is this anywhere? We know his brother Junior died after emotional problems incurred after the Korean War. But what about Gene? What happened?

rjm

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:17 am

In 1990 he appeared in Gail Brewer-Giorgio's 'The Elvis Files' (revenge perhaps :shock: ), but after that ???

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:54 pm

This was intended as a serious topic! Gail-Brewer Giorgio. {sigh}

Does anyone know what happened between them? Seriously.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:21 pm

I met and talked with Gene some and his wife Louise 20 years ago when he was writing his book, there was something I liked about him although he was a strange guy he came over as warm and humble. Unfortunately he did appear 'wrung out', life it seemed hadn't been too kind on Gene and he had a real problem with alcohol.

I don't believe there was any bad feelings but there had been a couple of 'close calls' with sleeping pills, Elvis' entourage had expanded, life was very fast and he wanted to make a go of things with his wife and young child. He moved out of Graceland shortly after Elvis made "Fun In Acapulco" in 1963.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:39 pm

is gene still alive?

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 pm

According to Marty Lacker there was a "misunderstanding about some missed jewlery", and Elvis didn't want to see him after that. Gene showed up at Graceland once in a while after that though (in July 1973 for instance), always wanted something (source: Elvis and the Memphis Mafia). Gene Smith died in the late 90's

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Some members of the MM badmouth a lot of people around Elvis.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???


that was Gee Gee Gambill

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 pm

sylvain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???


that was Gee Gee Gambill


Yes, and Elvis was lying when he told that story to the Sweet Inspirations.

Gee Gee got sacked.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 pm

rjm wrote:This was intended as a serious topic! Gail-Brewer Giorgio. {sigh}

Does anyone know what happened between them? Seriously.

rjm


Well sor-ry! I can't stand the woman either btw. :lol:

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Bodie wrote:
sylvain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???


that was Gee Gee Gambill


Yes, and Elvis was lying when he told that story to the Sweet Inspirations.

Gee Gee got sacked.


Did he not have a baby? An infant baby?

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:32 pm

sylvain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???


that was Gee Gee Gambill

That's right... my memory has never been that good and I haven't seen that in a while...thanks!

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm

elvisjock wrote:
Bodie wrote:
sylvain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???


that was Gee Gee Gambill


Yes, and Elvis was lying when he told that story to the Sweet Inspirations.

Gee Gee got sacked.


Did he not have a baby? An infant baby?


I meant the story when Elvis was explaining why Gee Gee wasn't there.

That's the part Elvis was lying about.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

Bodie wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
Bodie wrote:
sylvain wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Wasn't it Gene that Elvis was talking to the Sweet Inpsirations about during the movie That's The Way It Is? The girls were asking Elvis why Gene didn't come to Vegas???


that was Gee Gee Gambill


Yes, and Elvis was lying when he told that story to the Sweet Inspirations.

Gee Gee got sacked.


Did he not have a baby? An infant baby?


I meant the story when Elvis was explaining why Gee Gee wasn't there.

That's the part Elvis was lying about.


But if it's his child, how come he can't take his child out of town?

I suuuurrre hated to lose him.

I know he hated to go.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:09 am

Is there any way for him to get up here?

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 am

The sad fact is he got away with everything. It definitely changed him, not for the better. He took the easy way out on so many occasions, but i am inclined to think that he himself thought he was doing what was expected of him, therefore doing the right thing. That is why Elvis is so damn complicated. But he should not have done what was expected of him, he should have done what was right. And by 1966 his radar started to pick up on things and it progressed, until it culminated right in 1969. After that, we had a promising start in 1970, but by september 1970 he started to drop out. And it did not get better, 1969 style.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:12 am

egilj wrote:According to Marty Lacker there was a "misunderstanding about some missed jewlery", and Elvis didn't want to see him after that. Gene showed up at Graceland once in a while after that though (in July 1973 for instance), always wanted something (source: Elvis and the Memphis Mafia). Gene Smith died in the late 90's



zolderopruiming1 wrote:Some members of the MM badmouth a lot of people around Elvis.


That's what makes everything so confusing: the different cliques, and bad blood between them. It makes it difficult to get to what actually happened, in any given case. There can be no doubt that these cliques existed. That, for instance, is a serious charge - stealing, so you would like at least two sources: two SEPARATE sources! Not in the same clique. And that seems often hard to come by. Sometimes a single story, by a single person, becomes accepted as part of the folklore. Kinda frustrating.

(Thanks, Julian.)

rjm

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Wasn't Gene the one who made a statement that Elvis' hair looked like it was glued on when he seen him at the showing, and said it didn't look like him?
Apparently he hadn't seen Elvis for quite some time, for whatever reason.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:35 pm

An expensive piece of Elvis' jewelry was misplaced by a member of the MM. Elvis wanted to blame someone so he picked on Gene. Gene thought it was unfair that he was being falsely accused of stealing from his own flesh and blood. Gene also hated the fact that his cousin picked the MMs side in almost every argument and not side with his own relatives (Elvis could be stubborn that way). Gene and Elvis parted ways. When Elvis found out the jewelry was misplaced and NOT stolen, Elvis tried to man up and repair his friendship/relationship with Gene. Gene was deeply hurt and thought Elvis was on some kind of power trip so he severed ties with Elvis over the years.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:20 am

did Not Elvis always pick on Gene or others as his whipping boy?
what I really find disappointing with Elvis character is...that as much as he was sensitive himself and easily hurt....that did not stop him from steppin on other people's feelings....if he thought it was a good joke.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:49 am

All the stories about Elvis' private life comes mainly from people who were out of grace from Elvis so the stories sound more like taking revenge than holding the truth.
Some of the former MM badmouth everybody around Elvis that is not in "their" clique. But they were nmo saints and certainly not good for Elvis. When Elvis wanted to learn more about the esoteric world, the people around Elvis were quick to make sure Larry Geller was falling in disgrace because the people around Elvis were only interested in sh*gging young girls hanging around Graceland and other homes. If Elvis would grow spiritually, they would lose their only chance to meet young girls. I mean, did any woman ever look at these guys and think they were good looking? :smt003

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 pm

matilda wrote:did Not Elvis always pick on Gene or others as his whipping boy?
what I really find disappointing with Elvis character is...that as much as he was sensitive himself and easily hurt....that did not stop him from steppin on other people's feelings....if he thought it was a good joke.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think it has more to do with Elvis's unhealthy environment than Elvis's personality. Elvis was never really demanded to show consideration and compassion like most of us are, no matter how he acted he got away with it, as noted by epf. Gradually a basically nice person can develop into a-not-always-such-a-likeable-human-being. This could easily have happened to you and me as well, I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking away a persons responsibility to his og hers actions.

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:56 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:All the stories about Elvis' private life comes mainly from people who were out of grace from Elvis so the stories sound more like taking revenge than holding the truth.
Some of the former MM badmouth everybody around Elvis that is not in "their" clique. But they were nmo saints and certainly not good for Elvis. When Elvis wanted to learn more about the esoteric world, the people around Elvis were quick to make sure Larry Geller was falling in disgrace because the people around Elvis were only interested in sh*gging young girls hanging around Graceland and other homes. If Elvis would grow spiritually, they would lose their only chance to meet young girls. I mean, did any woman ever look at these guys and think they were good looking? :smt003

some were good lookin.maybe not as good as Elvis but still all not exactly ugly.
how about you?

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:03 pm

egilj wrote:
matilda wrote:did Not Elvis always pick on Gene or others as his whipping boy?
what I really find disappointing with Elvis character is...that as much as he was sensitive himself and easily hurt....that did not stop him from steppin on other people's feelings....if he thought it was a good joke.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think it has more to do with Elvis's unhealthy environment than Elvis's personality. Elvis was never really demanded to show consideration and compassion like most of us are, no matter how he acted he got away with it, as noted by epf. Gradually a basically nice person can develop into a-not-always-such-a-likeable-human-being. This could easily have happened to you and me as well, I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking away a persons responsibility to his og hers actions.

you are right.
it was too of his status as rockstar...he could get away with everything and never took the responsibility for his faults.
I am just sayin this cause often you read from fans what a super nice man he was ...always friendly etc...
there is truth in that...sure.
but still often Elvis abused the people around him mentally....as whipping boys....not true friendship in my book.
he always made fun out of other people's visual shortcomings in his private environment.
and we can only guess how Elvis would have liked it if they would have done that to him in say, 1976 etc....

you get my point