Off Topic Messages

Re: Going to Springsteen concert.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Cool, norrie, and the others who've taken in a gig this time round.

Wish I was seeing him this year!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Wow!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks Norrie, that's an amazing setlist. on the other hand he has so many great songs that it would be a challenge to put together a bad one :) .I'm looking forward to it even more now. Unfortunately the tourpromotor or someone, has decided to turn it into a minifestival. Jamie N Commons and the Black Crowes will also perform. To many Dutch Springsteen fans this is a bit of a disappointment. The last two times he performed in the Netherlands were also at a festival (Pinkpop) So we had hoped for an exclusive Springsteen show, which let's be honest will play longer and is just different because everyone there has come for Springsteen exlusively. Not complaining, just saying :D

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Pink&Black wrote:Thanks Norrie, that's an amazing setlist. on the other hand he has so many great songs that it would be a challenge to put together a bad one :) .I'm looking forward to it even more now. Unfortunately the tourpromotor or someone, has decided to turn it into a minifestival. Jamie N Commons and the Black Crowes will also perform. To many Dutch Springsteen fans this is a bit of a disappointment. The last two times he performed in the Netherlands were also at a festival (Pinkpop) So we had hoped for an exclusive Springsteen show, which let's be honest will play longer and is just different because everyone there has come for Springsteen exlusively. Not complaining, just saying :D

Actually the 22nd is not a festival but a double-concert, with Jamie Commons added as an extra. Rest at ease: Springsteen will not play for one second less compared any other show this tour!
But Springsteen-fans are indeed not used to a 'warm-up band', and until a few years ago he also did not do festivals. But in this case Springsteen and the Black Crowes can be seen as a double-bill.

From what I've heard doors will open at 15.00, with Bruce appearing on stage around 19.30.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Long Time Coming. It seems Bruce has been doing this song during sound-checks.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 pm

June 19, 2013
Notes from the road: Glasgow

The E Street Band took the stage under a bright summer sun matched only by the bright shiny Scottish faces. This was only the third time Bruce has played a show in Glasgow, but with as much fun as he was having on stage, he ought to come here more often. The show opened strongly with “We Take Care of Our Own,” followed by “The Ties That Bind.” Scotland was loving it, and Bruce seemed to pick up on the energy — he dove into the crowd and started pulling out signs before the second song was even over.

So the requests began early. Bruce granted “Jole Blon” first, the Cajun traditional he reworked for Gary U.S. Bonds back in ’81. Next, a sign request for “It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City,” played with vein-popping intensity. Roy’s piano playing was stunning, but when Bruce and Stevie traded guitar licks it was truly jaw-dropping. The intense pace kept up with “Radio Nowhere,” and “Bobby Jean” rounded out the sign requests —it might have been the prettiest version of “Bobby Jean” heard in recent memory.

On this anniversary of Clarence Clemons’s passing, it was especially poignant to have “My City of Ruins” back in the set. The horn section shone on this one, with Ed Manion digging deep to hit that last note. As Jake came in, the camera panned over several signs in the audience acknowledging The Big Man. But it wasn’t sad. It wasn’t sad at all, even though tears were shed. There was a lot of love bouncing off the stage and through the audience and back as we all shared in the joy of his memory.

“My City of Ruins” seemed to wring out the fevered intensity of first part of the show; after that it got very loose and playful with “Spirit in the Night” and the second jaw-dropping moment of the night, “E Street Shuffle.” Reverend Everett Bradley really showed his stuff, his percussion instruments making this 40-year-old song sound like something brand new.

Then it was back for more song request signs. One, politely asking for a pick, received a positive reply, which made the young man asking very happy. “I’m on Fire” played next made us all happy. Bruce kept it slow with “Tougher than the Rest,” by request of a young woman in memory of her father.

Next was a trio of gangster songs, “Atlantic City,” “Murder Incorporated,” right into “Johnny 99.” It was during the last of these that vocalist Curtis King revealed the most unusual instrument ever seen on the E-Street Stage: a bell affixed by a strap to his butt that rang with the right dance move. It was so unusual that when Bruce saw it, he actually stopped singing. As the camera zoomed in on Curtis’s butt-bell contraption Bruce said, “They like to surprise me!” He was laughing so hard he had trouble getting the next line out.

“Open All Night” got everyone’s butts our of their seats, just as Bruce predicted, and the audience stayed there for Darlington County, which had some great audience interaction; Bruce took the phone away from a young woman in the audience and told the person on the other end, “She’s busy right now — really busy!” Now that the audience was up, they danced and sang through the rest of the set, culminating in “Badlands” into “Land of Hope and Dreams.”

After a fun series of encores, “Tenth Avenue Freeze-out” might well have been the end of a really great show… but this party was going to fast to stop now. “We ain’t goin’ home yet!” Bruce hollered, and he launched into “Twist and Shout” followed by a big hit for Scottish singer Lulu, the Isley Brothers’ “Shout.”

A visibly tired Bruce — this was a three-and-a-half-hour show, after all — ushered the band off stage, and then he came back for what he called “a rock ‘n’ roll lullaby,” a closing “Thunder Road,” solo acoustic and simply beautiful.

With so many song requests played in Glasgow, you have to wonder if there will be a show in the future that is sign requests start to finish. If anybody could pull that off, it’d be Bruce and the E Street Band.

—Brenda VanHorn, Backstreets.com

http://brucespringsteen.net/

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:10 am

Cheers Norrie
Thanks for the review, no doubt this time tomorrow I will be in the same state as you were last night after having a "wee swally" I will try and bring you all a decent review of the concert Friday am ....so so looking forward to this and I know it will be worth the wait, just hope he sings Youngstown, Big Muddy, Red headed Woman,
I don't want much do I ,but with Bruce you never know !!!
Last edited by houndog on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 am

177.JPG

196.JPG

211.JPG

234.JPG

235.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:18 pm

What an Amazing Amazing night.
It was an overcast damp day in the West Midlands with rain falling on and off most of the day, around 17:00 when I got to the stadium there was a good downpour but that didn't deter or dampen the spirits of this crowd.
At a little past 19:20 Bruce took to the stage alone and launched into a haunting version of "Ghost of Tom Joad" the crowd almost silent in parts listening to his every strum and vocal , the sound in the stadium was good and clear.
Upon finishing "Ghost" he was joined by the rest of the E Street band and continued with "Long walk home" and "My love will not let you down" and "Two Hearts" the latter he seemed as always to be enjoying with Little Steven.
Then it was request collection time, there were many placards in the crowd it looked like nearly everyone had brought one. One that particularly amused Bruce simply read "play anything" to which he replied "I like that one" and even more amusing on the reverse it read " I bet your guitar would look good on me" again he quipped " I'll bet it would ...we'll see about that later"
Three requests followed "Seeds ,Trapped & Long Time Comin"
By now no one noticed if it was raining or not as everyone was thoroughly wrapped up in the moment and actually it wasn't raining and hadn't been since the show began.
Wreckin Ball and Death to my Hometown followed before Hungry Heart.
Bruce then pulled out a young boy for his moment in the spotlight and proceeded to play his request of the River complete with falsetto ending sounding almost Roy Orbison in his vocal ,,,truely brilliant.
After a quick reference to how much he had enjoyed the Wembley show at the weekend he dedicated the playing of the "Born to Run" LP to the memory of his good friend James Gandolfini.
To bring the tempo back up a notch after the closing bars of "Jungleland" from the Seeger Sessions came a rip roaring "Pay me my money down" with Bruce informing the seated sections that witihin 30 seconds their asses will be telling them to get off them and dance........ and so they did !
"Shacked and Drawn" followed by "Waitin on a Sunny day" complete with the return of rain timed to perfection when he sang "It's raining but there ain't a cloud in the sky"
"Lonesome Day" led swiftly into a rousing anthemic version of "Badlands" and by now Bruce was beginning to look a little tired and worn and who could blame him he had given everything, but that wasn't the end.
"We are alive" was eerie and spine chilling before he powered into a raw "angry" version of "Born in the USA" with Bruce proclaiming quietly at the end "I'm a cool rockin daddy" and who could disagree.
A beautiful version of "Bobby Jean" with Jake Clemons giving it his all on the Sax and a silent nod and look to the heavens to the Big Man at the end.
For Dancing in the dark it seemed Bruce was inviting the whole crowd on stage as 3 lucky ladies got their wishes granted one dancing with Jake on with Little Steven and of course one with Bruce (who it has to be said struggled to pull her on stage) and finally a 4th lucky lady got her wish as Bruce remembered the earlier sign about the guitar, and gave her his Fender to play the closing riffs of "Dancing" alongside him.
By now the 3 hour mark was reached as per the expectation nowdays but only two songs remained "Raise your Hand" and "American Land" which included a "rock a around the clock" instrumental section in the middle and end.
And that was it after almost 3hrs 15 minutes it was over, Bruce and the band had given their all and you could see he was Knackered and had nothing left,
WHAT A NIGHT THANK YOU BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND.

full setlist

The Ghost of Tom Joad
Long Walk Home
My Love Will Not Let You Down
Two Hearts
Seeds
Trapped
Long Time Comin'
Wrecking Ball
Death to My Hometown
Hungry Heart
The River
Thunder Road
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Night
Backstreets
Born to Run
She's the One
Meeting Across the River
Jungleland
Pay Me My Money Down
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Lonesome Day
Badlands

Encore
We Are Alive
Born in the U.S.A.
Bobby Jean
Dancing in the Dark
Raise Your Hand
American Land

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Just read that this was the first time "long time coming" was performed with the E Street Band ...

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 pm

houndog wrote:Just read that this was the first time "long time coming" was performed with the E Street Band ...

That's a great song. Hope they wil play that tomorrow as well. Thanks , Houndog for your review. To all of y'all who are going tomorrow; have fun and cu there. Bob-Holland: I hope your 11-year old knows 'Waiting on a Sunny Day' by heart :D

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 am

houndog wrote:Just read that this was the first time "long time coming" was performed with the E Street Band ...

That's why I was keeping my fingers crossed! I still am actually, for tomorrow! A beauty of a song.

Pink&Black wrote:Bob-Holland: I hope your 11-year old knows 'Waiting on a Sunny Day' by heart :D

She does! :smt023 But her favourite of the moment is Death To My Hometown, and that's one song he will surely play!

Only 19 hours till showtime ...

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:28 am

Great stuff houndog sounds like a belter of a show.

Have fun tomorrow guys you're in for a treat.

norrie

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:23 am

Here is a belter from Glasgow in good quality audio/picture.(thanks to Mrbluerock69) give the guy a "like"

phpBB [video]

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am

Still buzzing, what a great show. Bruce played the entire Darkness on the Edge of Town Album! I don' t think he's ever sounded better and the extended E Street band with horn section and back up singers never sounded this soulful. Amazing night. Will try to put up the setlist later.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Pink&Black wrote:Still buzzing, what a great show. Bruce played the entire Darkness on the Edge of Town Album! I don' t think he's ever sounded better and the extended E Street band with horn section and back up singers never sounded this soulful. Amazing night. Will try to put up the setlist later.

It was an AMAZING show. Never thought it would be that good.
A three and a half hours performance for a 63 years old guy is not bad.

Here the setlist from Nijmegen.

1 The Ghost of Tom Joad
(Solo acoustic)
2 Land of Hope and Dreams
3 My Love Will Not Let You Down
4 Sherry Darling
(Sign Request)
5 Growin' Up
(Sign Request)
6 Downbound Train
(Sign Request)
7 Wrecking Ball
8 Death to My Hometown
9 So Young and in Love
(Sign Request)
10 The River

Darkness on the Edge of Town
11 Badlands
12 Adam Raised a Cain
13 Something in the Night
14 Candy's Room
15 Racing in the Street
16 The Promised Land
17 Factory
18 Streets of Fire
19 Prove It All Night
20 Darkness on the Edge of Town

21 Pay Me My Money Down
22 Shackled and Drawn
23 Waitin' on a Sunny Day
24 Raise Your Hand
(Eddie Floyd cover)
25 Lonesome Day
26 The Rising
27 Thunder Road
Encore:
28 Born in the U.S.A.
29 Born to Run
30 Bobby Jean
31 Dancing in the Dark
32 Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
33 Twist and Shout
(with 'La Bamba' intermezzo)
34 Shout
Last edited by stranger on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Thank you for that setlist. Darkness is my favorite album, so this was a nice surprise for me. It was the perfect show, even the rain seemed to add to the fun.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:56 pm

It was an amazing performance!

Who else can bring so much joy and good spirits to a crowd of 60.000 (!!) people?? During the last half hour it rained really hard, but man, what a sight to see so many people dancing and laughing!! Just unforgettable.
It has been mentioned already, he played over 3:30 hrs yesterday. Wow!!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 pm

stranger wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:Still buzzing, what a great show. Bruce played the entire Darkness on the Edge of Town Album! I don' t think he's ever sounded better and the extended E Street band with horn section and back up singers never sounded this soulful. Amazing night. Will try to put up the setlist later.

It was an AMAZING show. Never thought it would be that good.
A three and a half hours performance for a 63 years old guy is not bad.

Here the setlist from Nijmegen.

1 The Ghost of Tom Joad
(Solo acoustic)
2 Land of Hope and Dreams
3 My Love Will Not Let You Down
4 Sherry Darling
(Sign Request)
5 Growin' Up
(Sign Request)
6 Downbound Train
(Sign Request)
7 Wrecking Ball
8 Death to My Hometown
9 So Young and in Love
(Sign Request)
10 The River
11 Darkness on the Edge of Town
12 Badlands
13 Adam Raised a Cain
14 Something in the Night
15 Candy's Room
16 Racing in the Street
17 The Promised Land
18 Factory
19 Streets of Fire
20 Prove It All Night
20 Darkness on the Edge of Town
21 Pay Me My Money Down
22 Shackled and Drawn
23 Waitin' on a Sunny Day
24 Raise Your Hand
(Eddie Floyd cover)
25 Lonesome Day
26 The Rising
27 Thunder Road
Encore:
28 Born in the U.S.A.
29 Born to Run
30 Bobby Jean
31 Dancing in the Dark
32 Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
33 Twist and Shout
(with 'La Bamba' intermezzo)
34 Shout

Wow wee! Looks like Bruce is really letting it rip over there.

One question, though: did he really do "Darkness on the Edge of Town" twice at the above show?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 pm

One question, though: did he really do "Darkness on the Edge of Town" twice at the above show?
Well that would have been a first :D After the River he mentioned he had been in the Netherlands the year before and that he wanted to do something special. Then he announced they would play the entire Darkness album. Which, as you know, starts off with Badlands and ends with Darkness on the Edge of Town. So maybe they meant the title of the album the first time.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, there is a mistake in the setlist, (copy-paste) nr.11 should be the album Darkness on the Edge of Town. - I'll edit it.

"It's not raining hard enough!"

http://www.betrue.nl/nieuws/#not-raining-hard-enough-in-nijmegen

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Brilliant pic stranger !! :smt023
That's exactly how it was that night!!

A friend sent me this amazing link:
http://brucetapes.com/2013/06/22/bruce- ... therlands/

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 pm

stranger wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, there is a mistake in the setlist, (copy-paste) nr.11 should be the album Darkness on the Edge of Town. - I'll edit it.

"It's not raining hard enough!"

http://www.betrue.nl/nieuws/#not-raining-hard-enough-in-nijmegen

Thank you!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 am

Brilliant picture,thanks.

norrie

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:39 pm

wow what concert and reports¬!...even better than he was in Sydney!!! amazing!¬ :D

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:15 am

What a cool setting in Naples back in May.

969935_10151741919420250_256728658_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.