Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Unpopular opinions

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 am

I don't care if I ever hear the Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel single again. Great songs, but I've heard 'em since I was 6 and I'm sick of them.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
BigBird wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:I like the song "Sylvia." It's one of my guilty pleasures. I think Elvis' voice sounds nice. Super cheesy but I still like it.

Oh, and I think Elvis was probably a racist in the way that Paula Deen is a racist or the way my grandparents on the white side of my family were racist. (My grandfather was from Arkansas and my grandmother was from Texas.) I'm not talking about KKK-style racism; I'm talking about the type of people who think its OK to throw around a racial epithet every now and then. Even Billy Smith said that "Elvis was southern, and so he joked sometimes."

There's two very unpopular opinions!

Well according to your definition of racism, 99% of all humanbeings ARE RACISTS.

You're right. But it's probably more like 100%. :wink:

Well, you are right, I just tried to be not too absolut about it, see PC even got me.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 am

BigBird wrote:
pingpong wrote:
BigBird wrote:
pingpong wrote:I would imagine the moderators are hovering over the delete button for when an unpopular opinion is posted that upsets certain members.....

You are probably right.

The thing is, it should not matter what opinions could possibly upset somebody, cause that would kill any debate in the first place, it only should matter if somebody is personally insulted, so i hope the moderators adhere to their own rules and let opinions be what they are, opinions.

You kow the saying about opinions, dont you?

"... opinions are like a++holes, everybody has one."

and usually the biggest opinions are held by the biggest a++holes, who dont work so have lots of time on their hands....

True, one person comes in mind who seams to have time 24/7 to make smart alec post all the time, so far he has not posted on here, well ... not yet.

Well I guess that counts me out! :D

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Elvis=Pauls Dean??

(Screaming, punching, kicking sounds in the middle of the night)

Billy Smith can speak for himself; the historical record shows Elvis to have been an admirable, embracing person. A person who went against local laws to socialize with black people. And there's more. Much more.

As someone who grew up in the south from 12 to 21, I am not amused by the suggestion that we are "all" bigots. And not just for me, but more for many people I knew well, who were born and raised southern. It is not true.

And when that rumor went around, Elvis was truly hurt. He didn't have to apologize; he said "God created everybody equal." In 1957. Down south. That took guts. He did other gutsy things.

The worst "joke" we know of was that "Dear Georgie" thing. That had nothing to do with black folks. But it was tacky.

I agree that no one is "pure" but that's a BIG difference from Pauka Dean!!!

Gosh, there are so many examples of his exemplary behavior and attitudes!

Some in Memphis gave him the ultimate compliment at the time: "A Race Man." (From Guralnick, 2007, WSJ.) Another quote, from Tupelo, 50s, about his parents: "The Presleys were always on our side." Maybe not Billy's parents. In fact, well, Billy's mother got angry at Elvis in 1960 regarding an invitation to Graceland that freaked her out. (Interview, Adam Victor, surrounding circumstances corroborated by contemporaneous accounts)

Another quote: "He faces everybody like a man." And so on.

This is not the same as Paula Dean! Good grief!

Just listen to the Million Dollar Quartet sessions; you would have heard it there!

I'm surprised, Inherit, you would say that! A voice of reason, normally.

(But I KNEW the Dean situation would smack Elvis right in the face. I just knew it.)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 pm

pingpong wrote:I would imagine the moderators are hovering over the delete button for when an unpopular opinion is posted that upsets certain members.....

Did I just push it over the cliff? Hope not. {oops}

But, really, let's stick to the music, shall we?

rjm

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 pm

I like most of the full price 1972-77 LP's, Having Fun being a strong exception, Welcome To My World isn't thrilling either. Live is a different evaluation but I enjoy a lot of the tracks on the 1971-76 studio sessions. Yeah there were plenty of mediocre ones, but I do like Elvis' voice through 1975 quite a bit, and his very best 1976-77 singing is to be found on the last two LP's, with perhaps the late December 1976 tour only matching it.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I enjoy the following Elvis soundtrack recordings:

Spring Fever
There's No Room To Rumba In A Sports Car
We're Comin In Loaded
I Think Im Gonna Like It Here
Datin'
Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce

So suck it!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm

rjm wrote:Elvis=Pauls Dean??

Billy Smith can speak for himself; the historical record shows Elvis to have been an admirable, embracing person. A person who went against local laws to socialize with black people. And there's more. Much more.

As someone who grew up in the south from 12 to 21, I am not amused by the suggestion that we are "all" bigots. And not just for me, but more for many people I knew well, who were born and raised southern. It is not true.

And when that rumor went around, Elvis was truly hurt. He didn't have to apologize; he said "God created everybody equal." In 1957. Down south. That took guts. He did other gutsy things.

The worst "joke" we know of was that "Dear Georgie" thing. That had nothing to do with black folks. But it was tacky.

Some in Memphis gave him the ultimate compliment at the time: "A Race Man." (From Guralnick, 2007, WSJ.) Another quote, from Tupelo, 50s, about his parents: "The Presleys were always on our side." Maybe not Billy's parents. In fact, well, Billy's mother got angry at Elvis in 1960 regarding an invitation to Graceland that freaked her out. (Interview, Adam Victor, surrounding circumstances corroborated by contemporaneous accounts)

Just listen to the Million Dollar Quartet sessions; you would have heard it there!

(But I KNEW the Dean situation would smack Elvis right in the face. I just knew it.)

rjm

I'm sorry, rjm. I didn't mean to offend you. :sosorry:

The topic is called "Unpopular opinions" so my opinion was bound to offend someone! At least no one attacked me for saying I liked "Sylvia"!

I have been surrounded by southerners my whole life. My family (the white side) and my wife's family. I know what goes on behind the scenes in my large, southern family. (And to be fair, the non-white side of my family is the same way, too. I'm not singling out southerners.) Basically, I think that everyone has racist thoughts but in varying degrees. I'm an unabashed liberal and I have lots of liberal friends who try so hard to be non-racist that they end up being racist. I worked with one person (a liberal) who would actively seek African-American people to befriend. It was almost like that person were collecting ethnic friends for advancement in the liberal world. This might sound ridiculous but it's what I've observed.

More than anything I want to believe that Elvis was the wonderful, open person who sang "If I Can Dream" and "In The Ghetto" all the time. But there was a dark side, too. And there is plenty of evidence that suggests he would slip every now and then and make racist comments. Billy Smith was around Elvis more than anyone so I believe him completely. And I believe Red and Sonny West's assertion in "Elvis: What Happened?" that he used the "N" word. And many of Elvis' cronies suggested that Vernon was racist. And I don't think there's any doubt that Elvis did not like gay people. Remember the story where Jim Nabors put his hand on Elvis' leg? (I love Peter Guralnick but I think he has actively tried to conceal Elvis' racism. He seems more determined to prove that Elvis wasn't a racist. A noble endeavor but not entirely truthful. Sorry, just my opinion.)

I'm not saying that Elvis was a bad person. My grandfather, a person I loved very much, called me a "half-breed." But I also believe he was a good person who wanted equality for everyone. (I remember how livid he was with the LAPD after Rodney King was beaten.) Elvis, like my grandfather, had conflicted thoughts. I think when it came down to it Elvis truly wanted equality for all ethnic backgrounds. I think in the early days he was more comfortable with African-Americans than he was with white people. But I also think that there was an underlying prejudice that he couldn't shake. You can post all the pictures of Elvis with African-American people that you want but I that won't change my opinion that Elvis said (and thought) racist things.

I'm not expecting you to agree with me, rjm, but please understand my side. I had a dad who had dark skin who married my white mother. And within the southern side of my family I have endured so many racial epithets that it's ridiculous. I won't even go into the bigotry I faced outside my family.

I apologize for the Paul Deen comparison. I was trying to be topical. It was tongue-in-cheek but I didn't make that very clear. I forgot the winky face!

But even though I was being tongue-in-cheek I still think there are some similarities. Paula Dean is a Democrat who campaigned voted for Obama in 2008 and I think is probably overall a pretty decent person. But she got caught saying some very, very bad things. Even though I'm appalled by the things that she said I'm not really surprised. The fact is we'd all be pretty screwed if all of our words and thoughts were disclosed publicly.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:27 pm

promiseland wrote:
BigBird wrote:
pingpong wrote:
BigBird wrote:

You are probably right.

The thing is, it should not matter what opinions could possibly upset somebody, cause that would kill any debate in the first place, it only should matter if somebody is personally insulted, so i hope the moderators adhere to their own rules and let opinions be what they are, opinions.

and usually the biggest opinions are held by the biggest a++holes, who dont work so have lots of time on their hands....

True, one person comes in mind who seams to have time 24/7 to make smart alec post all the time, so far he has not posted on here, well ... not yet.

No it is not you. Can you guess who we are talking about? Here is a hint: its a male and he has so many post under his belt that it is impossible to do that while having a day job.
The second hint is, he thinks he is always right and even after being caught wrong he wont admitt it, he is very offensive, but not with gutter language, but with the betweeen the lines kind a thing, he is very good at smoke screens & semantics, yet accuses other of exactly that! I am sure you now know who we are talking about.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 pm

unpopular opinions....The Beatles recorded a song where half of it was la la la la la la la la and it is dreadful but it was a step up from i am the walrus which contained lines of goo google goob....total donk!!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 pm

pingpong wrote:unpopular opinions....The Beatles recorded a song where half of it was la la la la la la la la and it is dreadful but it was a step up from i am the walrus which contained lines of goo google goob....total donk!!

How can you not love this forum?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
pingpong wrote:unpopular opinions....The Beatles recorded a song where half of it was la la la la la la la la and it is dreadful but it was a step up from i am the walrus which contained lines of goo google goob....total donk!!

How can you not love this forum?

that's a toughie......

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:09 am

InheritTheWind wrote:

rjm

The topic is called "Unpopular opinions" so my opinion was bound to offend someone! At least no one attacked me for saying I liked "Sylvia"!

I have been surrounded by southerners my whole life. My family (the white side) and my wife's family. I know what goes on behind the scenes in my large, southern family. (And to be fair, the non-white side of my family is the same way, too. I'm not singling out southerners.) Basically, I think that everyone has racist thoughts but in varying degrees. I'm an unabashed liberal and I have lots of liberal friends who try so hard to be non-racist that they end up being racist. I worked with one person (a liberal) who would actively seek African-American people to befriend. It was almost like that person were collecting ethnic friends for advancement in the liberal world. This might sound ridiculous but it's what I've observed.

More than anything I want to believe that Elvis was the wonderful, open person who sang "If I Can Dream" and "In The Ghetto" all the time. But there was a dark side, too. And there is plenty of evidence that suggests he would slip every now and then and make racist comments. Billy Smith was around Elvis more than anyone so I believe him completely. And I believe Red and Sonny West's assertion in "Elvis: What Happened?" that he used the "N" word. And many of Elvis' cronies suggested that Vernon was racist. And I don't think there's any doubt that Elvis did not like gay people. Remember the story where Jim Nabors put his hand on Elvis' leg? (I love Peter Guralnick but I think he has actively tried to conceal Elvis' racism. He seems more determined to prove that Elvis wasn't a racist. A noble endeavor but not entirely truthful. Sorry, just my opinion.)

I'm not saying that Elvis was a bad person. My grandfather, a person I loved very much, called me a "half-breed." But I also believe he was a good person who wanted equality for everyone. (I remember how livid he was with the LAPD after Rodney King was beaten.) Elvis, like my grandfather, had conflicted thoughts. I think when it came down to it Elvis truly wanted equality for all ethnic backgrounds. I think in the early days he was more comfortable with African-Americans than he was with white people. But I also think that there was an underlying prejudice that he couldn't shake. You can post all the pictures of Elvis with African-American people that you want but I that won't change my opinion that Elvis said (and thought) racist things.

I'm not expecting you to agree with me, rjm, but please understand my side. I had a dad who had dark skin who married my white mother. And within the southern side of my family I have endured so many racial epithets that it's ridiculous. I won't even go into the bigotry I faced outside my family.

I apologize for the Paul Deen comparison. I was trying to be topical. It was tongue-in-cheek but I didn't make that very clear. I forgot the winky face!

But even though I was being tongue-in-cheek I still think there are some similarities. Paula Dean is a Democrat who campaigned voted for Obama in 2008 and I think is probably overall a pretty decent person. But she got caught saying some very, very bad things. Even though I'm appalled by the things that she said I'm not really surprised. The fact is we'd all be pretty screwed if all of our words and thoughts were disclosed publicly.

I understand why you feel the way you do.

I just don't necessarily agree with the conclusions.

Just briefly, and we'll leave it alone.

For one thing, we cannot know someone's "thoughts."

Secondly, Peter's 2007 article was very delayed. If anything, his first book barely addressed the issue. The article presented facts.

Beyond that, there's no point in rehashing it. Guralnick still left out very important information, but that's now available elsewhere.

Let's leave alone what we cannot absolutely prove and corroborate -- in other words, gossip, speculation, opinion.

rjm (Correction: the article was in the NY Times, and some of the quotes come from elsewhere -- other than his article)

UPDATE: A confession, which sorta supports your general thesis. In the late '70s, "Lady Sings The Blues" was on the TV in the lobby of my dorm floor. The other girl on the sofa found Billy Dee Williams very attractive, and said so, using . . . THE N-WORD! I cringed, I made a sour face, I moved away from her. BUT I SAID NOTHING! Which, I guess makes me a bigot-by-inaction. So, there you go. I knew it was as wrong to be silent, as to have said it, yet I was a coward, and thus contributed to the problem. True fact! In West Alabama. So, almost none of us are saints! Certainly not me.)

Last edited by rjm on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 am

Apparently, my love of all things Jungle Room seems odd to a few people. I enjoy this material with overdubs, without overdubs, studio outtakes, OSM, and just about any other way it can be purchased.

I also happen to think that the Summer 1977 concerts had more then a few vocal highlights and should not be dismissed out of hand as a complete failure.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 am

Let's see...

(1) Everyone here knows I am a big fan of Elvis' Sun era, but I really don't like "Blue Moon" that much. I think "Harbor Lights" is a better performance. (And what if Sam taped "Blue Moon" over "Tiger Man"?)

(2) I don't care for "Love Me Tender"--the song or the movie.

(3) I think that "Roustabout" is a better movie (with a better soundtrack) than "Viva Las Vegas".

(4) I don't really care for the endless releases of Vegas Shows and 70s concert soundboards. I am perfectly happy with "Elvis Live In Person" and "Aloha From Hawaii" as examples of Elvis' live shows.

(5) I think "Elvis Today" is one of his better albums from the 70s. It is a solid contemporary country album for 1975.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 am

1) I think that We Can Make The Morning is a great, underrated song
2) I think that Tucson 76 is a nice concert
3) I Think that the afternoon show in Dayton in 1974 is a very good concert
4) I Think that Dragonheart is a nice concert

protection.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 am

"All a black person is good for..."

Ah, we better skip that as these words have never been spoken by our man anyway.

No offense taken.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:"All a black person is good for..."

Ah, we better skip that as these words have never been spoken by our man anyway.

No offense taken.

:smt003

Now, what about that great song you don't like??? (I know; different thread. But how could . . . it's a great song!)

rjm
P.S.-- Incidentally, If Sam taped over "Tiger Man," for "Blue Moon," I'm okay with that. "Blue Moon," his "Blue Moon" is an utterly unique and irreplaceable piece of music. (No matter who might think otherwise.) If I hear that music when I'm in a bad mood, it cheers me! And, of course, it's filled with despair, so how? Because it comes from what Sam called "where the soul of man never dies."

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 am

Sergio Luiz wrote:1) I think that We Can Make The Morning is a great, underrated song
2) I think that Tucson 76 is a nice concert
3) I Think that the afternoon show in Dayton in 1974 is a very good concert
4) I Think that Dragonheart is a nice concert

protection.jpg

Wow I agree on all accounts above! :) Really, if you can get past the rambling diaglogs the shows are performed very well singing done!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am

InheritTheWind wrote:

rjm

Could you at least add one more paragraph next time rjm? :D

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 am

BigBird wrote:
promiseland wrote:
BigBird wrote:
pingpong wrote:
BigBird wrote:

You are probably right.

No it is not you. Can you guess who we are talking about? Here is a hint: its a male and he has so many post under his belt that it is impossible to do that while having a day job.
The second hint is, he thinks he is always right and even after being caught wrong he wont admitt it, he is very offensive, but not with gutter language, but with the betweeen the lines kind a thing, he is very good at smoke screens & semantics, yet accuses other of exactly that! I am sure you now know who we are talking about.

Ahh Yes!...You mean Blue River! :D

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 am

promiseland wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

rjm

He wrote that one! Really! It wudn't me! (An old song, as I recall.)

rjm

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:07 pm

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

rjm

He wrote that one! Really! It wudn't me! (An old song, as I recall.)

rjm

A couple more posts like this rjm and you're gonna get carpal tunnel! :lol:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 pm

rjm wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:"All a black person is good for..."

No offense taken.

:smt003

Now, what about that great song you don't like??? (I know; different thread. But how could . . . it's a great song!)

rjm
P.S.-- Incidentally, If Sam taped over "Tiger Man," for "Blue Moon," I'm okay with that. "Blue Moon," his "Blue Moon" is an utterly unique and irreplaceable piece of music. (No matter who might think otherwise.) If I hear that music when I'm in a bad mood, it cheers me! And, of course, it's filled with despair, so how? Because it comes from what Sam called "where the soul of man never dies."

Imo, it's not a great song.

So: "It Feels So Right" is NOT a great song". :D

Can hardly listen to "Blue Moon" anymore. Depresses me about as much as Frank Sinatra's "In The Wee Small Hours" album or Charles Boyer's "Where Did Love Go?"...

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I think he rocked the Hell out of "Old MacDonald". Better performance than "Raised On Rock" and "For The Heart".