Post here your Elvis' pictures

OLD PHOTO FROM TUPELO

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm

This was found on Ebay & is from James Curtin's collection. Looks to be a photograph from the mid 1940's or early 1950's. Can anybody identify either of the women?
They could be relatives of Elvis or neighbors. Perhaps "The Boy from Tupelo" book has this photo in it & may have more information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OLD PHOTO FROM TUPELO

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 pm

This is new to my eyes...is this photo in your possession or from a book? You would assume that Gladys is on the Left.
That's very cool!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Cool photo! Maybe Elvis was inside doing the dishes!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 pm

interesting photo not convinced that is Gladys and the shack looks in great condition...wonder how it compares to when Vernon was photographed on the steps by Albert Hand?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:29 pm

emshicks321 wrote:This is new to my eyes...is this photo in your possession or from a book? You would assume that Gladys is on the Left.
That's very cool!

It's for sale on Ebay. Not sure if it is the original photo. It does look like Gladys on the left.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm

bluejeans1944 wrote:
emshicks321 wrote:This is new to my eyes...is this photo in your possession or from a book? You would assume that Gladys is on the Left.
That's very cool!

It's for sale on Ebay. Not sure if it is the original photo. It does look like Gladys on the left.

I think it is from the 60's

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 am

Here is photo of another Presley...named Sybil supposedly taken in 1945. Note that the lawn is more "manicured" than in the previous picture...which mostly shows just weeds.
Both pix....IMO...look like they were taken during the 1940's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 am

bluejeans1944 wrote:Here is photo of another Presley...named Sybil supposedly taken in 1945. Note that the lawn is more "manicured" than in the previous picture...which mostly shows just weeds.
Both pix....IMO...look like they were taken during the 1940's.

This looks to be a completely different house altogether.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:54 am

It could be that Vernon & his brothers built several small houses in the same neighborhood...to help each other.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:01 pm

pingpong wrote:interesting photo not convinced that is Gladys and the shack looks in great condition...wonder how it compares to when Vernon was photographed on the steps by Albert Hand?

I agree. And that's NOT Gladys!
Her weight was not up in the 40's early 50's
(also note the swing is missing.)

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 pm

It's the correct house. The picture with Sybil is mirrored and much older than the eBay one and the one with Vernon. The house was remodeled somewhat after the picture with Sybil, the windows and frames were replaced with newer smaller ones and the spaces framed in. They probably replaced the siding too. The current swing was added sometime after the photo from ebay and Vernon. The bottom photos show how it appeared in 2002.
My thoughts on the ebay photo is that its just a couple of fans getting their photo taken there years ago and have no relationship to Elvis at all. They're just tourists. I've got one of me there if you want to buy that. It's color and has the swing.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm still not convinced that the top photo is not Gladys. See the attached photo of Gladys taken sometime in the 1940s...with added weight. The Ebay photo could have been taken in the early 1950s...perhaps after a return visit to Tupelo. If I'm not mistaken...they left Tupelo for Memphis in 1949.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:It's the correct house. The picture with Sybil is mirrored and much older than the eBay one and the one with Vernon. The house was remodeled somewhat after the picture with Sybil, the windows and frames were replaced with newer smaller ones and the spaces framed in. They probably replaced the siding too. The current swing was added sometime after the photo from ebay and Vernon. The bottom photos show how it appeared in 2002.
My thoughts on the ebay photo is that its just a couple of fans getting their photo taken there years ago and have no relationship to Elvis at all. They're just tourists. I've got one of me there if you want to buy that. It's color and has the swing.

I do not wish to buy it but it would be good to see it..

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 pm

pingpong wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:It's the correct house. The picture with Sybil is mirrored and much older than the eBay one and the one with Vernon. The house was remodeled somewhat after the picture with Sybil, the windows and frames were replaced with newer smaller ones and the spaces framed in. They probably replaced the siding too. The current swing was added sometime after the photo from ebay and Vernon. The bottom photos show how it appeared in 2002.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:43 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
pingpong wrote:

oh nice one....hedges!!

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:27 am

Here's mine photo, taken just today.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 am

Well, if everyone's gonna do the porch thing, here's my dad, in 1984. I took this with an SLR, and developed it in my darkroom. Only to do a bad scan into the computer! But enjoy, if you wanna see a lotta swingin'!

I like this, because it's so peaceful! You'd almost think the swing was always there, but it wasn't.

Tupelo_Dad_On_Porch_Swing.jpg

rjm

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 pm

This is from the Elvis Album

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 pm

someone made a model from the old photograph and I added some landscape, just for fun.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:32 pm

pingpong wrote:someone made a model from the old photograph and I added some landscape, just for fun.

That looks cool!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm

pingpong wrote:someone made a model from the old photograph and I added some landscape, just for fun.

Which old photograph?

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:01 am

JamesVRoy wrote:

Which old photograph?

this one...

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 pm

pingpong wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

Which old photograph?

this one...

I never saw that one. it looks like a painting. When is it said to be? If that's Elvis' house on the left its after the mods to the windows.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:58 am

That painting is on the wall at the entrance to the museum in Tupelo at the birthplace .
That model is inside the birthplace museum.

http://elvis-express.com/elvisradio_bir ... useum.html

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Here are 2 more shots of the old house...probably taken during the 1930's or 40's.