Off Topic Messages

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:49 am

I enjoy his music, but he's not way up on my list of preferences.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Matthew wrote:I enjoy his music, but he's not way up on my list of preferences.


See him in concert. ;-)

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 pm

When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special. By the way, the concert in the Netherlands wasnt sold out.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:57 pm

nevermind wrote:When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special. By the way, the concert in the Netherlands wasnt sold out.



If you go to concerts to be visually stimulated I suggest you try a sultry female with no musical talent, if you go to be musically stimulated, you cannot beat Bruce. He is the best on the planet. At 63, he is a marvel.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:00 pm

nevermind wrote:When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special.


True.

Unlike, say, Kiss, Bruce Springsteen does not need to rely on smoke bombs, incendiaries or eye-blinding, flashing lights to keep his audience entertained.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 pm

r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special. By the way, the concert in the Netherlands wasnt sold out.



If you go to concerts to be visually stimulated I suggest you try a sultry female with no musical talent, if you go to be musically stimulated, you cannot beat Bruce. He is the best on the planet. At 63, he is a marvel.


How do you define the best? Please dont mention his age and the length of his concerts. Its just personal taste. But dont worry, im not bashing Springsteen here.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 am

intheghetto wrote:I heard he did a great tribute to James Gandolfini at his show in Coventry, England. He played all of 'Born To Run' and dedicated to him.


I saw them together in the audience at the last Police concert at Madison Square Garden in 2008 so they must have been friends.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:30 am

nevermind wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special. By the way, the concert in the Netherlands wasnt sold out.



If you go to concerts to be visually stimulated I suggest you try a sultry female with no musical talent, if you go to be musically stimulated, you cannot beat Bruce. He is the best on the planet. At 63, he is a marvel.


How do you define the best? Please dont mention his age and the length of his concerts. Its just personal taste. But dont worry, im not bashing Springsteen here.


best
/best/
Adjective
Of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality: "the best pitcher in the league".
Adverb
To the highest degree; most: "the one we liked best".
Noun
That which is the most excellent, outstanding, or desirable.
Verb
Outwit or get the better of (someone): "she refused to allow herself to be bested".
Synonyms
adjective. prime
adverb. most
verb. beat - defeat - overcome

I went to my first concert in 1982 aged 15 and since then I have seen all the biggest and best bands and artists that you can think of from James Brown and Frank Sinatra (okay both towards the end of their career) KIss, AC/DC, U2,Rolling Stones, Coldplay,Madonna, Beyonce,Rihanna, Michael Jackson,Guns and Roses, Queen, Justin Bieber ( you might laugh but in todays music scene he is classes as big) ...all at one time or another classed as the biggest band or artist in the world ( at least here in the UK) and I can honestly say in my humble opinion Bruce stands way way above them all, I actually like U2 more than Bruce but live even with their magnificent stage productions against Bruce " simplistic" production Bruce wins for me, for stage presence and Interaction with the crowd the only one that comes close to Bruce was Freddie Mercury.
You say dont mention the length of his shows...Why not??? Thats part of it that as an entertainer you pay to see them to be entertained, the length of his show isn't this length because he spends 20 minutes introducing the band and they all get their solo spot, or that he's talking incessantly between songs..NO you get 3 to 3 and a half hours of musical magic with a catalogue that supports a set list that changes nightly, most artist you could follow on tour and the only thing that changes nightly is the venue , with Bruce you could follow his whole tour and get something different every night but one thing you guaranteed it will always be worth a hell of a lot more than the price of the ticket.
I follow a huge premiership football club here in the UK and pay regularly upwards of £45 to go and watch them for 90 minutes and occasionally I come away disappointed that they either lost or played badly, I don't feel any connection to them personally, but at a Bruce show you twice as much entertainment in time for the same price and actually even if your stood at the back you still feel the interaction between him and his audience, and always come away happy. That's why for me he is the best entertainer around today

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 am

houndog wrote:best
/best/
Adjective
Of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality: "the best pitcher in the league".
Adverb
To the highest degree; most: "the one we liked best".
Noun
That which is the most excellent, outstanding, or desirable.
Verb
Outwit or get the better of (someone): "she refused to allow herself to be bested".
Synonyms
adjective. prime
adverb. most
verb. beat - defeat - overcome

I went to my first concert in 1982 aged 15 and since then I have seen all the biggest and best bands and artists that you can think of from James Brown and Frank Sinatra (okay both towards the end of their career) KIss, AC/DC, U2,Rolling Stones, Coldplay,Madonna, Beyonce,Rihanna, Michael Jackson,Guns and Roses, Queen, Justin Bieber ( you might laugh but in todays music scene he is classes as big) ...all at one time or another classed as the biggest band or artist in the world ( at least here in the UK) and I can honestly say in my humble opinion Bruce stands way way above them all, I actually like U2 more than Bruce but live even with their magnificent stage productions against Bruce " simplistic" production Bruce wins for me, for stage presence and Interaction with the crowd the only one that comes close to Bruce was Freddie Mercury.

You say dont mention the length of his shows...Why not??? Thats part of it that as an entertainer you pay to see them to be entertained, the length of his show isn't this length because he spends 20 minutes introducing the band and they all get their solo spot, or that he's talking incessantly between songs..NO you get 3 to 3 and a half hours of musical magic with a catalogue that supports a set list that changes nightly, most artist you could follow on tour and the only thing that changes nightly is the venue , with Bruce you could follow his whole tour and get something different every night but one thing you guaranteed it will always be worth a hell of a lot more than the price of the ticket.

I follow a huge premiership football club here in the UK and pay regularly upwards of £45 to go and watch them for 90 minutes and occasionally I come away disappointed that they either lost or played badly, I don't feel any connection to them personally, but at a Bruce show you twice as much entertainment in time for the same price and actually even if your stood at the back you still feel the interaction between him and his audience, and always come away happy. That's why for me he is the best entertainer around today


Very nice summation of what makes Bruce so special!

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
houndog wrote:best
/best/
Adjective
Of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality: "the best pitcher in the league".
Adverb
To the highest degree; most: "the one we liked best".
Noun
That which is the most excellent, outstanding, or desirable.
Verb
Outwit or get the better of (someone): "she refused to allow herself to be bested".
Synonyms
adjective. prime
adverb. most
verb. beat - defeat - overcome

I went to my first concert in 1982 aged 15 and since then I have seen all the biggest and best bands and artists that you can think of from James Brown and Frank Sinatra (okay both towards the end of their career) KIss, AC/DC, U2,Rolling Stones, Coldplay,Madonna, Beyonce,Rihanna, Michael Jackson,Guns and Roses, Queen, Justin Bieber ( you might laugh but in todays music scene he is classes as big) ...all at one time or another classed as the biggest band or artist in the world ( at least here in the UK) and I can honestly say in my humble opinion Bruce stands way way above them all, I actually like U2 more than Bruce but live even with their magnificent stage productions against Bruce " simplistic" production Bruce wins for me, for stage presence and Interaction with the crowd the only one that comes close to Bruce was Freddie Mercury.

You say dont mention the length of his shows...Why not??? Thats part of it that as an entertainer you pay to see them to be entertained, the length of his show isn't this length because he spends 20 minutes introducing the band and they all get their solo spot, or that he's talking incessantly between songs..NO you get 3 to 3 and a half hours of musical magic with a catalogue that supports a set list that changes nightly, most artist you could follow on tour and the only thing that changes nightly is the venue , with Bruce you could follow his whole tour and get something different every night but one thing you guaranteed it will always be worth a hell of a lot more than the price of the ticket.

I follow a huge premiership football club here in the UK and pay regularly upwards of £45 to go and watch them for 90 minutes and occasionally I come away disappointed that they either lost or played badly, I don't feel any connection to them personally, but at a Bruce show you twice as much entertainment in time for the same price and actually even if your stood at the back you still feel the interaction between him and his audience, and always come away happy. That's why for me he is the best entertainer around today


Very nice summation of what makes Bruce so special!




Thanks Doc

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 am

In May I saw Springsteen in concert for the second time within 10 months (my fourth Springsteen gig). It's amazing that at first we couldn't get him to come to play Finland at all and since 2003 he's been here 5 times. I can say that as live performer he ranks at the very top of my list. His shows are always played at full energy, he interacts with the audience and does surprise numbers. In last July I watched him play his longest gig ever (over 4 hours) and in May he played about 3 hours. His energy level is amazing. As a recording artist he is great but not at the top 10. He has done great albums (Born To Run, River, Darkness On The Edge of Town, Nebraska and Born In The USA are my favorites) but he is first and foremost a great live performer. Everyone who loves rock music should see his show at least once.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:33 am

The Night Bruce Springsteen Jumped the Fence at Graceland - See more at: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/article ... ynUEV.dpuf


I grew up on Springsteen also and i like him and his songs alot,he is also a huge Elvis fan and sings Elvis songs at his concerts.

phpBB [video]



Bruce praises Elvis

phpBB [video]




Bruse Sprinsteen website http://brucespringsteen.net/

As for him being on my list of faves After ELVIS,JONNY CASH,PATSY CLINE,FRANK SINATRA,DEAN MARTIN,and a few more,Bruce is in my top 10 for sure.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 am

I like some albums of him. The Live-Box is a great listening for me and Tunnel Of Love. Sometimes I have a Springsteen-Bono-Hour but I have no list for artist I like!

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 am

The box set Live/1975-85 must rank as one the greatest concert releases of all time. Hope Springsteen will release a new remastered deluxe edition of it sometime.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Matthew wrote:I enjoy his music, but he's not way up on my list of preferences.

If he ever decides NZ is worthy of a show again, I may go along. However, the production has decided to skip NZ this year, opting to not include any dates around the period he's in Australia. Apparently, it's been 10 years since the last show on these shores.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Bruce Springsteen will always be high on my list. His music was very important to me in high school. I didn't really discover him until 1981 when I first heard the song "Born to Run" on the radio. (Yes, I was a bit late in the game.) I played the second side of "Born to Run" (the album) obsessively. His album "Nebraska" used to play endlessly in my car. I didn't see him live until 1988 when I saw him on Amnesty International's "A Conspiracy of Hope" tour. Needless to say, I was completely blown away. Since that time I've seen him several times. One of the best shows I've ever seen in my life occurred at The Arena in Oakland in October 1999. I finally got to see "Meeting Across the River" and "Jungleland" live!

The thing about Springsteen is that he sings every song as if his life depended on it. Even if it's not his song. Here is an amazing video of him singing a Sting song (!) and it's mesmerizing; he sings every word as if he were telling his own story. It's stunning.

phpBB [video]

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 pm

houndog wrote:
nevermind wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special. By the way, the concert in the Netherlands wasnt sold out.



If you go to concerts to be visually stimulated I suggest you try a sultry female with no musical talent, if you go to be musically stimulated, you cannot beat Bruce. He is the best on the planet. At 63, he is a marvel.


How do you define the best? Please dont mention his age and the length of his concerts. Its just personal taste. But dont worry, im not bashing Springsteen here.


best
/best/
Adjective
Of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality: "the best pitcher in the league".
Adverb
To the highest degree; most: "the one we liked best".
Noun
That which is the most excellent, outstanding, or desirable.
Verb
Outwit or get the better of (someone): "she refused to allow herself to be bested".
Synonyms
adjective. prime
adverb. most
verb. beat - defeat - overcome

I went to my first concert in 1982 aged 15 and since then I have seen all the biggest and best bands and artists that you can think of from James Brown and Frank Sinatra (okay both towards the end of their career) KIss, AC/DC, U2,Rolling Stones, Coldplay,Madonna, Beyonce,Rihanna, Michael Jackson,Guns and Roses, Queen, Justin Bieber ( you might laugh but in todays music scene he is classes as big) ...all at one time or another classed as the biggest band or artist in the world ( at least here in the UK) and I can honestly say in my humble opinion Bruce stands way way above them all, I actually like U2 more than Bruce but live even with their magnificent stage productions against Bruce " simplistic" production Bruce wins for me, for stage presence and Interaction with the crowd the only one that comes close to Bruce was Freddie Mercury.
You say dont mention the length of his shows...Why not??? Thats part of it that as an entertainer you pay to see them to be entertained, the length of his show isn't this length because he spends 20 minutes introducing the band and they all get their solo spot, or that he's talking incessantly between songs..NO you get 3 to 3 and a half hours of musical magic with a catalogue that supports a set list that changes nightly, most artist you could follow on tour and the only thing that changes nightly is the venue , with Bruce you could follow his whole tour and get something different every night but one thing you guaranteed it will always be worth a hell of a lot more than the price of the ticket.
I follow a huge premiership football club here in the UK and pay regularly upwards of £45 to go and watch them for 90 minutes and occasionally I come away disappointed that they either lost or played badly, I don't feel any connection to them personally, but at a Bruce show you twice as much entertainment in time for the same price and actually even if your stood at the back you still feel the interaction between him and his audience, and always come away happy. That's why for me he is the best entertainer around today


How about Prince? He also plays for 3 hours with different set-lists. The interaction with the audience goes even further. Inviting 30/40 people to come on stage and jam along. Even let them sing. Im not aware if Bruce ever did this. Besides, Prince is a far better musician, and singer. And thats not an opinion, but fact.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 pm

nevermind wrote:
houndog wrote:
nevermind wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:When it comes to the visual aspect, theres actually nothing special. By the way, the concert in the Netherlands wasnt sold out.



If you go to concerts to be visually stimulated I suggest you try a sultry female with no musical talent, if you go to be musically stimulated, you cannot beat Bruce. He is the best on the planet. At 63, he is a marvel.


How do you define the best? Please dont mention his age and the length of his concerts. Its just personal taste. But dont worry, im not bashing Springsteen here.


best
/best/
Adjective
Of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality: "the best pitcher in the league".
Adverb
To the highest degree; most: "the one we liked best".
Noun
That which is the most excellent, outstanding, or desirable.
Verb
Outwit or get the better of (someone): "she refused to allow herself to be bested".
Synonyms
adjective. prime
adverb. most
verb. beat - defeat - overcome

I went to my first concert in 1982 aged 15 and since then I have seen all the biggest and best bands and artists that you can think of from James Brown and Frank Sinatra (okay both towards the end of their career) KIss, AC/DC, U2,Rolling Stones, Coldplay,Madonna, Beyonce,Rihanna, Michael Jackson,Guns and Roses, Queen, Justin Bieber ( you might laugh but in todays music scene he is classes as big) ...all at one time or another classed as the biggest band or artist in the world ( at least here in the UK) and I can honestly say in my humble opinion Bruce stands way way above them all, I actually like U2 more than Bruce but live even with their magnificent stage productions against Bruce " simplistic" production Bruce wins for me, for stage presence and Interaction with the crowd the only one that comes close to Bruce was Freddie Mercury.
You say dont mention the length of his shows...Why not??? Thats part of it that as an entertainer you pay to see them to be entertained, the length of his show isn't this length because he spends 20 minutes introducing the band and they all get their solo spot, or that he's talking incessantly between songs..NO you get 3 to 3 and a half hours of musical magic with a catalogue that supports a set list that changes nightly, most artist you could follow on tour and the only thing that changes nightly is the venue , with Bruce you could follow his whole tour and get something different every night but one thing you guaranteed it will always be worth a hell of a lot more than the price of the ticket.
I follow a huge premiership football club here in the UK and pay regularly upwards of £45 to go and watch them for 90 minutes and occasionally I come away disappointed that they either lost or played badly, I don't feel any connection to them personally, but at a Bruce show you twice as much entertainment in time for the same price and actually even if your stood at the back you still feel the interaction between him and his audience, and always come away happy. That's why for me he is the best entertainer around today


How about Prince? He also plays for 3 hours with different set-lists. The interaction with the audience goes even further. Inviting 30/40 people to come on stage and jam along. Even let them sing. Im not aware if Bruce ever did this. Besides, Prince is a far better musician, and singer. And thats not an opinion, but fact.


Prince is a better musician, but singer? There are some songs like Hungry Heart, Prisoner in Disguise, and Thunder Road where Prince couldn't touch Bruce's vocal and I'm sure there are Prince songs Bruce would stink on. But to me, it comes down to music. Bruce is a rocker, more in the vein of Elvis and the roots of rock and roll and with a touch of folk, and his songs are more what I like to hear. I cant ever imagine Prince doing Follow That Dream or Quarter to Three in concert. Just not his style.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:43 am

Saw him yesterday and he played this 31-song set throughout 3,30 hours, so what can I say?




01 - My Love Will Not Let You Down
02 - Out in the Street
03 - Better Days (Sign)
04 - Ain't Good Enough For You (Sign)
05 - TRAVELIN' BAND
06 - Wrecking Ball
07 - Death to My Hometown
08 - Spirit in the Night
09 - Jack of all Trades
10 - The River
11 - Atlantic City
12 - You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
13 - Darlington County
14 - Because the Night
15 - She's The One
16 - Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Sign)
17 - Shackled and Drawn
18 - Waitin' On a Sunny Day
19 - Drive All Night
20 - The Rising
21 - Badlands
22 - Light of Day

Encore:
23 - Radio Nowhere
24 - Born in the U.S.A.
25 - Born to Run
26 - Seven Nights to Rock
27 - Dancing in the Dark
28 - Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
29 - Twist and Shout
30 - Shout

31 - Thunder Road (solo ac)

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 am

0 HE IS OVERATED.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:43 am

I respect his talents but I'm just not a fan of his music. There are a couple songs I can handle but I just don't care for his voice.

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:37 pm

As a performer, musician, songwriter and as a man dedicated to his craft, there is no equal (in my opinion).

InheritTheWind, that is an amazing version of I Hung My Head. Where and when was that?

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:27 pm

mick967 wrote:InheritTheWind, that is an amazing version of I Hung My Head. Where and when was that?


Glad you liked it! I think Springsteen's performance is mesmerizing. I hate to say it but Springsteen's performance of "I Hung My Head" is even better than Johnny Cash's version.

Springsteen performed the song in 2011 at the Beacon Theater in New York at Sting's 60th birthday celebration. They also did a blistering version of The Police's "Can't Stand Losing You." Bruce Springsteen and Sting began their friendship in 1988 during Amnesty International's "Human Rights Now!" tour. (They did a touching duet on Springsteen's "The River.") They've been besties ever since. They even go on vacation together! Here's a strange picture of them together in 1995 when Sting and Springsteen drove together from Casablanca to Tangier (Morocco):

Image

In 2010 Sting did a beautiful performance of "The Rising" in tribute to Bruce Springsteen at Kennedy Center Honors. Sting's tribute was so intense that President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama were moved to stand and sway to the music. But the look of love in Springsteen's eyes for his friend during the performance says it all.

phpBB [video]

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Bruce performing a request for Burning Love in a preconcert minishow in Paris yesterday. He fluffs a lot of lyrics, but still pretty cool.
phpBB [video]

Re: where is Springsteen on your list ?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
mick967 wrote:InheritTheWind, that is an amazing version of I Hung My Head. Where and when was that?


Glad you liked it! I think Springsteen's performance is mesmerizing. I hate to say it but Springsteen's performance of "I Hung My Head" is even better than Johnny Cash's version.

Springsteen performed the song in 2011 at the Beacon Theater in New York at Sting's 60th birthday celebration. They also did a blistering version of The Police's "Can't Stand Losing You." Bruce Springsteen and Sting began their friendship in 1988 during Amnesty International's "Human Rights Now!" tour. (They did a touching duet on Springsteen's "The River.") They've been besties ever since. They even go on vacation together! Here's a strange picture of them together in 1995 when Sting and Springsteen drove together from Casablanca to Tangier (Morocco):

Image

In 2010 Sting did a beautiful performance of "The Rising" in tribute to Bruce Springsteen at Kennedy Center Honors. Sting's tribute was so intense that President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama were moved to stand and sway to the music. But the look of love in Springsteen's eyes for his friend during the performance says it all.

phpBB [video]




That's a fascinating picture - never seen it!

I know the 1988 Amnesty International Tour you're talking about - Bruce references it prior to his inspiring 1988 version of Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom". He also mentions that Sting will be on the tour. "Can't Stand Losing You" would be a great performance to witness -ill check it out and see if it's on You Tube.

Very surprising performance by Sting - he obviously likes the material.

Two great performers in their sixties, still going very strong. Who would have thought that 20 years ago?