Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:46 am

It just struck me that it's been more than 10 years since I had the pleasure of seeing the lovely and talented Ann-Margret in person for a Q&A session at San Francisco's legendary Castro Theatre, following a sold-out screening of "Viva Las Vegas."

I found my copy of the lobby card -- her films ran from Friday to Sunday!



020222_Ann-Margret at Castro_SF_01.JPG




It was all good timing and planning. Ann was in town starring in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" at the Golden Gate Theatre.

Her visit was a benefit appearance for the Project Open Hand organization:
http://www.openhand.org/



020222_Ann-Margret at Castro_SF_02.JPG




The night began with over an hour's worth of rare TV and film clips, provided by a huge Ann-Margret fan, and they were a hoot. One highlight was her ... vivacious rendering of "I've Got the Music in Me" from a January 22, 1975 "Tonight Show" appearance. Both Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon were left stunned at her finale.


phpBB [video]




Then began "Viva Las Vegas," the 1964 MGM classic, and we sang and clapped to every number. The auto race was actually thrilling on the big screen, too. And the stars oozed charisma and mutual attraction. It was incredibly fun!

At last I understood why this was Elvis' finest 1960s film.



630900_w Ann-Margret_Viva Las Vegas.JPG




Finally, the light came up and Ann appeared on stage to a standing ovation, husband Roger Smith sitting quietly in the back of the theatre with their little dog in his arms. New Trier High School chum and local TV talk show host Ann Fraser did the interview, and it was a hoot. The star did speak in the quietest of voices, which is typical of her off-stage persona.

Anyway, it was a night to remember, and if you ever get the chance to do something similar, do not hesitate -- go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:30 am

Nice Doc! Sounds like you enjoyed it...wish i had of been there. Viva Las Vegas is certainly the best movies Elvis did in the 60's and to have a co-star like Ann WAS special. She was an incredible woman with talent, they worked so well together, professionally and personally.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 am

Nice Doc! Sounds like you enjoyed it...wish i had of been there. Viva Las Vegas is certainly the best movies Elvis did in the 60's and to have a co-star like Ann WAS special. She was an incredible woman with talent, they worked so well together, professionally and personally.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Interesting topic again. Thanks for sharing! Lucky you for being there.

drjohncarpenter wrote: New Trier High School chum and local TV talk show host Ann Fraser did the interview, and it was a hoot. The star did speak in the quietest of voices, which is typical of her off-stage persona.


Any (new) insights from what she said during this interview?

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Sounds like a great night. Ann was one of those special people in Elvis' life, I think in different circumstances she may have been good for Elvis as a partner, I think she'd have kept him in the real world.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Thank you very much, Doc, for this topic. Ann is sublime and I think she is the best costar of Elvis's movies. And in personal life she could be the one who may challenged and saved Elvis from his self destructive way of life in the 70's because she had such a great personality.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Nice topic - thanks for sharing. Viva certainly was Elvis' best musical of the 60's and amazingly one without a soundtrack LP. Why? Probably some petty BS on the Cols part no doubt. Missed opportunity. I was reading an article recently where the author thinks Elvis should have fired the Col after seeing the script and songs for GI Blues. Maybe there is some reasoning in that!

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Holy cats! That Johnny Carson clip!!!! :smt007

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:50 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:Interesting topic again. Thanks for sharing! Lucky you for being there.

drjohncarpenter wrote: New Trier High School chum and local TV talk show host Ann Fraser did the interview, and it was a hoot. The star did speak in the quietest of voices, which is typical of her off-stage persona.


Any (new) insights from what she said during this interview?


Nothing earth-shattering. Ann was greatly appreciative of the crowd's warmth, and at one point noted that although the film seemed like a long time ago (it was released about 38 years prior to the event), Elvis remained close to her heart. She was sometimes so low-key you couldn't hear her replies. What a contrast with the star we had been watching on the Castro's big screen for the previous three hours. Ann remains fascinating, a great actress, singer, dancer and so darned beautiful!

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 pm

nod3million wrote:Sounds like a great night. Ann was one of those special people in Elvis' life, I think in different circumstances she may have been good for Elvis as a partner, I think she'd have kept him in the real world.


I agree. She went through her own substance abuse issues in the '70s too (alcohol), and overcame them.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:53 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Holy cats! That Johnny Carson clip!!!! :smt007


The full clip will knock you right out of your shorts. Ann is like a bolt of lightning.

Unfortunately, Carson representatives had a private upload of it pulled from YouTube a few years ago, and the official video link is just a sample. Carson's best ad-lib isn't even on it!

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Nothing earth-shattering. Ann was greatly appreciative of the crowd's warmth, and at one point noted that although the film seemed like a long time ago (it was released about 38 years prior to the event), Elvis remained close to her heart. She was sometimes so low-key you couldn't hear her replies. What a contrast with the star we had been watching on the Castro's big screen for the previous three hours. Ann remains fascinating, a great actress, singer, dancer and so darned beautiful!


Okay, thanks!

And, yes, she sure is! :D

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:13 am

r&b wrote:Nice topic - thanks for sharing. Viva certainly was Elvis' best musical of the 60's and amazingly one without a soundtrack LP. Why? Probably some petty BS on the Cols part no doubt. Missed opportunity. I was reading an article recently where the author thinks Elvis should have fired the Col after seeing the script and songs for GI Blues. Maybe there is some reasoning in that!


Parker didn't want to split the spotlight with Ms. Margret, even though it would have made Elvis' star burn even brighter. That was his style, to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Yes, "G.I. Blues" was when Elvis should have said, "No more, or you're gone."

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 am

Wow, that Carson clip was great!

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 am

:shock: Gee is she wearing a Bra or not???? :roll: :wink: :D

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 am

She is fantastic -

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:57 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:She is fantastic -

image.jpg


I'd marry her right now, if I could.

What is that in the photo? A new edition of Alanna Nash's book?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:29 am

That clip of her on Carson is one of my faves, but I prefer the full version which used to be available on YouTube but I guess it isn't anymore. Whatever the case, Ann was hot, but man I miss Johnny!

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:She is fantastic -

image.jpg


I'd marry her right now, if I could.

What is that in the photo? A new edition of Alanna Nash's book?

I'd marry her too. She appeared in an episode of CSI I think it was where she played an alcholic mixed up in a murder case - she acted her ass off! Eclipsing many other big name stars...

Great book yes the UK edition - she was the 'love' of Elvis' life according to the book - I'm not surprised!!

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:She is fantastic -

image.jpg


I'd marry her right now, if I could.

What is that in the photo? A new edition of Alanna Nash's book?

I'd marry her too. She appeared in an episode of CSI I think it was where she played an alcholic mixed up in a murder case - she acted her ass off! Eclipsing many other big name stars...

Great book yes the UK edition - she was the 'love' of Elvis' life according to the book - I'm not surprised!!

image.jpg


Thank you for the clarification on the photo!

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:She is fantastic -

image.jpg


I'd marry her right now, if I could.

What is that in the photo? A new edition of Alanna Nash's book?

I'd marry her too. She appeared in an episode of CSI I think it was where she played an alcholic mixed up in a murder case - she acted her ass off! Eclipsing many other big name stars...

Great book yes the UK edition - she was the 'love' of Elvis' life according to the book - I'm not surprised!!

image.jpg
[/


Thank you for the clarification on the photo!

It's a pleasure doc and it's always interesting to read your posts.

Must have been a thrill to meet her...

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:She is fantastic -

image.jpg


I'd marry her right now, if I could.

What is that in the photo? A new edition of Alanna Nash's book?

I'd marry her too. She appeared in an episode of CSI I think it was where she played an alcholic mixed up in a murder case - she acted her ass off! Eclipsing many other big name stars...

Great book yes the UK edition - she was the 'love' of Elvis' life according to the book - I'm not surprised!!

image.jpg

That makes three of us now. :D

And no, she's NOT wearing a bra on that Carson clip... :P :smt007

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:25 pm

And no, she's NOT wearing a bra


I recently saw a simular version of the C' mon everybody scene in a movie. That girl didn't had a bra on neighter.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:It's a pleasure doc and it's always interesting to read your posts.

Must have been a thrill to meet her...


Ann-Margret is one cool customer, that's a fact.

Re: Viva Ann-Margret! --> 2-22-2002 !!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:It's a pleasure doc and it's always interesting to read your posts.

Must have been a thrill to meet her...


Ann-Margret is one cool customer, that's a fact.


Great clip and thread Doc. I've loved her my whole life!!